Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
Wow what an idiot. Must really hate Cleaveland. Hope Lucroy turn into a Gomez at the plate and never gets a big payday.

Knock it off! So you'd have rather had a "single A catcher as a headliner, then keep Luc around another year??. I for one, do NOT want this "rebuild" to last another 5-6 years. I want it fast tracked. Single A guys won't do that for you. This deal, with the top available chip on the market, was insulting. Period. Luc just saved Stearns from an embarrassment.

I wasn't expecting the rebuild to last 1-2 years. They don't need to fast track the rebuild. For the time being they're looking for talent for the long run rather than for short-term goals, as they should for a rebuild.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is a horrible return for Lucroy. The Brewers should have gotten at least 2 top 100 prospects or 1 top 100 prospect and 2 solid top 10 organizational prospects. Depending on how people view Chang, the Brewers might have ended up with only Mejia as a top 300 prospect. Subtracting Allen or Armstrong and adding McKenzie would have made this a solid trade for Milwaukee, but the third and fourth pieces of this trade are not nearly good enough to justify only getting Mejia as a top piece in the group.

You can say what you think the Brewers should have had in return but in my opinion that is saying you think Stearns did not accept the best offer on the table. I see no way the return goes up over the winter. There is the risk of injury, less time left on his contract, and the fact people can sign free agents without having to give up talent. The marginal difference between a free agent and Lucroy is probably pretty small.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Thank you Luc. You saved us from ourselves.

We now have our much needed mulligan now let's get an elite talent back and stop trading for fast giys with no power and middle infielders.

I'll address it now, again. What happens if he gets hurt after the deadline, or hits .265 here on out, or the offers in the offseason aren't as significant because it's only a year of control, or teams would rather sign Wilson Ramos/Matt Wieters than package together a bundle of prospects? With the Indians off the board which team is going to step up and unload the appropriate prospects to satisfy you?

Not dealing him is an extreme risk. To be upset at every deal Stearns has done is hilarious. Once again, it seems as if no matter what the return the internet troll in you comes out and bashes it.

Name calling aside, and quite classy, btw, we had 70 pages of wish lists for Luc and I'd challenge you to find one that was as light as this one.

Mejia we all like. No question. Allen is a 23 year old just starting AA and his skill set is very redundant. Chang. Whatever. Another middle infielder which is the one area we have covered.

But please continue with the name calling.

Never called you a name. If "trolling" is your definition of that, I guess we'll agree to disagree. If it offended you I apologize, but to hate each move including those which are currently paying dividends on the Major League field not including all the minor league moves made on a wait and see basis is a little silly to me.

I don't know how you can not like what Stearns has done in finding Guerra and Villar for almost nothing, as well as the numerous other prospects I listed in my other post. Not to mention his draft and international spending.

Lucroy signed the contract that he is playing under, right?

Yep. And it included a no trade clause. He has just as much of a right to exercise it as we do to exercise his team option next year.

Glad to hear that Lucroy vetoed that trade (I just wish I hadn't typed out that last post). This is an easy "hold" situation based on the Cleveland offer. Not worried at all on what the Brewer's missed out here. In terms of prospect value Allen and Armstrong are just "guys." If the Brewers shop Lucroy this coming off-season will the offers be so much of a downgrade from 1 "top 100 prospect" plus 1 "top 10 organizational prospect?" I doubt it. Easy hold situation for me.

Only thing that sucks is that now every other team knows that Stearns is basically looking to dump Lucroy. I don't see anyway they get a decent return for him in the next 24 hours unless Stearns can figure out some package with Lucroy plus Jeffress/Smith/Thornburg/Guerra.

Lucroy this winter.

"I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series. That's what all players want. Rebuilding is not a lot of fun for any veteran guy."

"Yeah, absolutely. I want to win," he said. "It's not guaranteed that I'm going to win if I am traded. But I'm going to be a 30-year-old catcher (in June). I can't put numbers on how much longer I'm going to play, but as players we want to win. I don't care about the money; I just want to win. That's the bottom line."

"As a competitor, I'm not OK with rebuilding. I'm not OK with losing," he said. "You don't want a player to be OK with that. They don't want a player to be OK with that. As fans, you shouldn't want a player to be OK with being average or being a mediocre team, and I'm not.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/jonathan-lucroy-thinks-trade-would-be-best-for-him-and-brewers-b99654302z1-365824811.html

Lucroy during the all-star break

“I want to be competitive. I want to be on a team that is playing for a championship,” Lucroy, as habitually honest and down-to-Earth as they come, said Monday here. “If that’s the Brewers, great. If not, not. It’s a tough situation.”

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/nl/milwaukee-brewers/heyman-jonathan-lucroy-ready-contender-milwaukee-elsewhere/

I hate this guy. I hope the Braves swoop in and offer us a haul and there won't be a damn thing he can do about it.

I always find it amusing how people can have a lengthy discussion about a player in which he is nothing more than an asset to be squeezed for maximum value, and then turn around and be offended that a player doesn't put the good of the team above themselves.
advocates for the devil

What a relief. Terrible deal it would have been.
Thank god! Alls well that ends well.

So getting nothing will be better? Do you really think a better deal is coming along in the next 24 hours?

no but a single "A" catcher as a headliner is insulting..IF he worked out fine..but he's 20..be years before the rebuild is final at that point. Nothing sayin a comp pick couldn't work out just as well as Mejia. To not get any stud pitching back for him was ridiculous. Stearns just got saved by Luc.

I told you all to stop wanting "multiple" players back...take the one for one stud and be done with it..maybe you can't get that, but this deal was insulting..market or no market.

Good grief...who is the one theoretical 'stud' that was available? Who is the sure thing ace lighting it up in AAA that Stearns turned down?

10:15am: ESPN’s Buster Olney tweets that the efforts to convince Lucroy to approve the trade will continue, so the book on the proposed trade may not be fully closed just yet. Lucroy, it should be noted, is on one of the most team-friendly contracts in Major League Baseball, and teams will often utilize financial incentives to convince players to waive no-trade clauses. An extension or at least a restructuring of his 2017 salary ($5.25MM) could make sense, though that’s simply speculation on my behalf.

This is good news. I would rather keep Lucroy for next year and a half and take the Comp Pick then take the crap package the Indians offered anyway.

So a catcher prospect who has a chance to be very good is significantly worse than a Comp Pick?

It's about equal value but we will get more value for Lucroy if we trade him ... 1. to another team before tomorrow. 2. During the offseason 3. Next trade deadline 4. year and a half of Lucroy and comp pick.

Obviously Lucroy saying 'I don't care about the money', doesn't look good now, but he had every right to exercise his NTC. It was his leverage play and he used it.

It might not even be over. Maybe they offer to add a couple million to his option and the Brewers pay the extra and he accepts.

No one here gets it...with the package the Crew could have gotten from Cleveland, they were essentially giving him away anyway. So, what's the difference?? To not get any pitching back for him was a disgrace.

Getting one of the best catcher in MiLB baseball is giving Lucroy away? Wow! Guy could end up better than Lucroy!

This is good news. I would rather keep Lucroy for next year and a half and take the Comp Pick then take the crap package the Indians offered anyway.

So a catcher prospect who has a chance to be very good is significantly worse than a Comp Pick?

It's about equal value but we will get more value for Lucroy if we trade him ... 1. to another team before tomorrow. 2. During the offseason 3. Next trade deadline 4. year and a half of Lucroy and comp pick.

Depends on how the market shapes up. If there was a better offer out there, don't you think Stearns would have taken it?

Lucroy this winter.

"I want to win and I don't see us winning in the foreseeable future. I want to go to a World Series. That's what all players want. Rebuilding is not a lot of fun for any veteran guy."

"Yeah, absolutely. I want to win," he said. "It's not guaranteed that I'm going to win if I am traded. But I'm going to be a 30-year-old catcher (in June). I can't put numbers on how much longer I'm going to play, but as players we want to win. I don't care about the money; I just want to win. That's the bottom line."

"As a competitor, I'm not OK with rebuilding. I'm not OK with losing," he said. "You don't want a player to be OK with that. They don't want a player to be OK with that. As fans, you shouldn't want a player to be OK with being average or being a mediocre team, and I'm not.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/jonathan-lucroy-thinks-trade-would-be-best-for-him-and-brewers-b99654302z1-365824811.html

Lucroy during the all-star break

“I want to be competitive. I want to be on a team that is playing for a championship,” Lucroy, as habitually honest and down-to-Earth as they come, said Monday here. “If that’s the Brewers, great. If not, not. It’s a tough situation.”

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/nl/milwaukee-brewers/heyman-jonathan-lucroy-ready-contender-milwaukee-elsewhere/

I hate this guy. I hope the Braves swoop in and offer us a haul and there won't be a damn thing he can do about it.

I don't hate him but I am feeling quite a bit of animosity towards him right now. He obviously had the right to turn down the trade but if he really wanted to play for a winner this was his chance. This trade would have been great for everyone.

I always find it amusing how people can have a lengthy discussion about a player in which he is nothing more than an asset to be squeezed for maximum value, and then turn around and be offended that a player doesn't put the good of the team above themselves.

This would have given him what he wanted as well. He gets his chance to play for a contender.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I still think Lucroy will be traded by the deadline, possibly in this deal to Cleveland still, however if he doesn't get traded I am predicting the casual fans at Miller Park will give Lucroy a standing ovation because they will interpret this as "see? Lucroy really wanted to remain a Brewer!"
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived