Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On the Brewers side, Lucroy blocking the trade risks Lucroy sustaining an injury that turns this trade into a comp pick. Or maybe the market for Lucroy isn't as strong this off season as some believe (maybe like now?) and they get less in November.

I would love to have stolen a future ace from Cleveland but that does not appear to be what Lucroy was worth. I am please enough with this return that I don't want to see the Brewers risk a lesser return holding on for something they may never get.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's frustrating when relievers can command significantly more than all star catchers, but I trust Stearns.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'm not sure Stearns was snookered. I think teams decided they couldn't make it without top flight relievers, but would survive without a new catcher. I love Luc, but I don't believe he alone makes you a contender. The Royals laid the blueprint that shortening the game can win a WS. I think Stearns got the best deal he could, it falls in line with his other deals.

I officially hate this trade seeing what other teams are getting back for lesser talent.

When you say this you are basically saying ds didn't take the best deal he could which I'm sure you don't believe. Yes he could have waiting until the offseason but there was no guarantee the return would be better

Community Moderator
Maybe it is just what the market dictated, but I also would not be shocked if Stearns and company valued Mejia and Chang as comparable or better overall prospects than Frazier and Sheffield. It isn't how most of the industry and fans necessarily see it (myself included), but it could be these were the players they believed in most.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Who here would've added two of Thornburg, Jeffress and Smith if it meant we could get the package of players the Yankees got for Miller?

Na could easily see the Brewers package providing more total value

This is really not a great deal at all.

Yes we all like Mejia but he is an A ball catcher that is the definition of buying high. In essence we burned our best trade chip to make up for the failings of the As trade.

The other two are really redundant pieces. We have plenty of no power fast OFers and good but not great middle infielders.

And to acquire no impact pitching.

I know this board loves Stearns but this is hard trade to like.

Well no can disagree that Stearns should light it up on the reliever market.

What could Stearns have done differently? I think we can all agree he took the best offer available to him.

So the only card he could have played would have been to hold firm and test Lucroy's market again in the offseason or next year's deadline. He then would have risked injury, decline, or Lucroy's market not improving, which there's a good chance it wouldn't have with even less control later.

I can't blame him for not taking that chance.

Well we both don't know the other deals out there so we don't know what he turned down or asked for.

Mejia's upside is Lucroy at his peak. The other guys are redundant.

So IF this was the best deal out there, you don't trade him.

While we don't know what the other offers are, I think we can pretty well assume that Stearns did not pass up a more favorable offer. That would make no sense.

You say that about Mejia like it's a bad thing. I think we can all agree if he turns into another Lucroy that we'd b pretty happy, having him for 6+ years at the MLB level instead of 1 1/2 years of non-contention.

I disagree that it would have been better not to trade him. This deal certainly has more value than a comp pick.

Is last year's Gomez/Fiers deal the only trade this board has ever liked?

Sent from my laptop using my keyboard

I don't mind the trade whatsoever. I think no matter what trade the Brewers pull the same posters will insist the GM/coaching staff are idiots and will disagree with every move. Even though players like Villar and Guerra have 100% hit all other moves out of the park, and that's before we have fully seen the other fruits like Nottingham, Derby, Diaz, Broxton, Supak, Wilkerson, Betancourt, etc.

What do people know about Armstrong? I am no expert on other teams' farm systems. He appears to have been rather successful in the minors.

He's an almost 26 year old reliever that walks a bunch of guys. In other words, I think nothing of him.

The more I think about this deal the more pissed off I get. We had one asset that we needed to hit a home run with and at best we beat the shift and dribbled a double down the line.

You just said the other day that we needed to take the best deal that we could for Lucroy right now no matter what it was. What if this was the best deal we could get?

Who here would've added two of Thornburg, Jeffress and Smith if it meant we could get the package of players the Yankees got for Miller?

I'm sure they tried. The Miller trade was in the works while the Lucroy one was ongoing and the Tribe wanted Miller over our pieces.

Community Moderator

There was certainly some excitement this past winter when the crew acquired Isan Diaz.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

And what happens if Luc gets injured or hits .265 from here on out with us? Then trading him in the offseason for a better package isn't that easy. Plus with free agent catchers like Wilson Ramos and Matt Wieters available so teams won't have to part with their minor league talent. Easy to say he'd fetch a better haul then but that's pure speculation in a perfect world.

Anybody mind updating the thread for where these guys rank in the Cleveland system and MLB in general? Sure it's already been done, but this thread is moving quickly and I'm trying to make sense of the trade without reading 17 pages!

I saw Fangraphs had Mejia at #12 in Cleveland prior to this season. Granted, he's been dominant this season, but that was still surprising to see.

I think there are other trades the board has liked (don't we usually have a collective agreement on smaller deals?), and while I'm usually optimistic about these deals, the return here does seem pretty disappointing. But, I'm still at the point where I'll assume Stearns has a better idea of the market and the expected productivity of these players.

That gomez trade was panned until people realized Hader was a potential stud.

At the time the focus was all about phillips and santana

Btw, lucroy was never a top 100 prospect himself, which says all you need to know about relying on what number a player is at any point in time.

Still hoping to hear confirmation that the deal goes through. This is a real nice return for Lucroy. It's not an "OMG we just fleeced somebody" return but its a solid return for a player with a limited market. Catchers are tough to trade midseason.

Sure I'm greedy I wish the deal had Tristan or Frazier or Bradley added to it, but dang if I don't think each of the 3 guys the Brewers got have a real solid shot at being a top 100 prospect by seasons end with huge room to improve upon that.

Heck yes. If that was on the table.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

:laughing

After feeling kind of frustrated about this trade, this was a very welcome laugh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived