Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Cleveland - LUCROY HAS VETOED THE TRADE

And That

Before we get out of control on how hard to handle Mejia might be try to remember Lucroy was not always the easiest to deal with either.

I am thrilled to get a catcher with this kind of arm and hitting talent.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hot take

- All 3 players appear to have the ability to be contributors at the next level

- Mejia is immediately going to go to BC and start like 0-20 because that is just what our prospect do there

- Chang looks like he has some nice potential, middle infielders with some pop are always nice

- Allen looks like he swings a wet noodle but that OBP and BB/K ratio are amazing and would be extremely useful in MLB

- The fact that as of right now we haven't acquired any pitching talent isn't a big deal to me. Stearns has some other pieces that hopefully he can get the pitching from there

- It seems to be that pitching is being valued much higher at this deadline; hopefully that bodes well for us today and tomorrow

I think DS did good and got a fair trade. We did not give up a reliever or other MLB asset that can be traded later and we got four quality prospects.

With either prospect, we got a quality starting pitch that should fall between Hader and Ponce making him our #2 SP prospect.

We got a quality catching prospect who between him and Nottingham and the 2016 draft make our catching prospects top notched.

We may have gotten our 3Bman of the future, if not a quality utility man. and

We got a nice centerfielder that falls between Phillips and Taylor. I think Phillips moves to AAA and Allen and Taylor battle in AA.

I hate to see Lucroy go, but I do not fell we got taken.

Why are people so down on Sheffield? I dont follow other teams prospects but he was a high deaft pick who has produced well, is young, and strikes out a guy per inning?

He is only 5'10''. I am ok with the size as long as he can develop as a pitcher. Get a change up and everything is good.

My take: I like what I'm reading about the three players we are apparently getting. No matter what trade of this caliber works out, some people are going to be disappointed no matter what.

We also all need to remember that other trades will likely happen. Guerra, Smith, Jeffress, etc could all be on the table yet over the next 24 hours.

Finally, I'm glad the thread got back on topic after some back and forth sniping. Let's keep it on topic, and thank you for reading Brewerfan.net!

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'll throw in my two cents for the overall situation even though the mystery fourth piece hasn't been confirmed/denied yet.

From the Milwaukee side I like the deal. I'm a fan of Meija as many are, Pipeline has him at a 50 hit but you can't argue a 42 and counting hit streak. Sounds legit. Cody Allen and Chang are both pieces that are playing very well right now and are great guys to have in the organization. If some of our prospect outfielders/infielders scuffle, these guys are right there to add depth to the system. That's why positions don't really matter to me in acquiring prospects through trades or the draft, everything will sort itself out. Stearns also valued him higher than Zimmer/Frazier as all three of them were discussed as a centerpiece but Meija was agreed upon.

If the mystery fourth piece is Sheffield or McKenzie I'd be very happy. Like incredibly happy. Internally I've always thought (back to the "guy or guys" thread) that I'd like a package of good players from the Indians over a "guy" from potentially the Rangers and this is exactly what it seems like we got. Sheffield reminds me of a left handed Devin Williams numbers wise, different body types though. For what it's worth, I wasn't as high on Zimmer/Frazier as everyone else specifically because I really liked the idea of Meija and some other good quality depth, rather than "the guy" and a secondary lesser piece.

For the Indians, I love the deal on paper. Trading Meija while having Luc for 1.5 years is great. Didn't have to give up their top prospects but the system's depth took a hit a bit. I think this is completely necessary move for them to make given where they are, what they need, and what they had available. I'll definitely be pulling for Cleveland through the rest of the season assuming this deal goes through. Even if Luc and Smith were sent to the Mets, with all the garbage that has gone on in the last calendar year with the Brewers and them, I honestly probably would have wanted the Cubs to advance further than them. Okay, well maybe not.

If Smith goes to the Indians it'll be interesting to see what Milwaukee got from Cleveland when is all said and done to see how close some of our proposals were. I can't think of one deal made by Stearns that I haven't been a fan of. Potentially Nottingham can move off of Catcher at some point to advance the bat but no rush with that right now. At the end of the deadline a guy like Chad McClanahan could be left off the MLB Pipeline top 30. Wowza.

Total speculation, but maybe the 4h player is contingent. Perhaps if Lucroy waives the NTC with no strings, we get Sheffield. If Lucroy pulls a stunt and will only waive it if they void his option for 2017, deal stands as is.

Could happen, but I think you are overthinking this. I hope so. That puts a lot of power in Lucroy's hands which I would not do if I were DS.

And the reason I posted I completely forgot to mention.

Lucroy has been with the franchise through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. It's going to be quite a bit different not having him as the staple in the lineup and behind the dish. Always a community and team first guy, Lucroy has been the role model kids should be looking up to in times of celebrities doing very questionable actions for clicks. The things I'll miss most is his blue collar attitude, a sensation that is very familiar to a Wisconsin guy, born and raised.

I'll never forget his grand slam after Gibson played bean ball with Braun. I'll also never forget how robotic his running looks around the bases. Lol.

Thanks for everything you've done Luc! Go get a ring and don't forget about us!! But please accept the damn trade.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Luc's agent in April '15 from this ESPN article, discussing the extension Lucroy signed with the Brewers:

"If I would have known, from an industry perspective, that framing would have become as important as it's become, maybe things would have been different," says (Doug) Rogalski, his agent.

Last night and this morning is an opportunity for a make-up. I can't imagine Lucroy and Rogalski won't take advantage in some way, they'd be insane not to.

Yes, Lucroy would become even more of an instant hero to Cleveland fans if he simply did an instant waive, but you can bet his agent isn't going to miss out this time. You can bet the union is watching as well. The no-trade clause has to serve them some purpose here, even though we know Lucroy is anxious to be Terry Francona's next Jason Varitek caliber championship-trophy-holding catcher.

Maybe they had to wait on the Miller trade to determine 4th player? High hopes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Which means that a certain someone may have been wrong about Smith.

If I read the post correctly and am thinking along the same lines as you I don't believe he mentioned which team Smith was being shopped to for the high K/9 ratio. Maybe he did, I just don't remember that. McKenzie fits that mold, could you image Luc, Andrew Miller, and Smith there? I don't think they'd do it, but with these deals and if they truly believe their window is right now...

Archived