Brewer Fanatic

Pirates Trade Melancon to Nationals

splitterpfj

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Every deal that happens places a value on players. That should help us. The thing 'bad' about deals is that it can sometimes take away a potential suitor. But with relievers, there are a lot of teams with a need for one or more, so I'm not too concerned about that happening.

Shows on Taylor Hearn's BRef page, he was drafted 4 times. The first out of High School by Pittsburgh.

I didn't think that was possible to be eligible for the draft yearly?

He must've gone to Junior College. They are eligible regardless of how many years they spend in school.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and

Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Pirate's are three back in wild card. What's the logic behind this move?

Small market. Only had half a year left of control from what I heard. They have other good relievers and may not feel an all out pursuit of a wild card is worth it

Small market. Only had half a year left of control from what I heard. They have other good relievers and may not feel an all out pursuit of a wild card is worth it

Getting Felipe Rivero is a huge get for the Pirates for this year and the next few years.

This is not a White Flag type of trade for the Pirates...

Uecker was actually discussing this on the radio earlier tonight. He said he suspects the Pirates have noticed something with Melancon's delivery of late, and that's why they were open to moving him. Uke claimed he had talked to some coaches in the clubhouse about it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well the pirates can spin it however they want. If I was a pirates fan right now I'd be pretty upset. The pirates stunk for as long as the Royals were bad. The royals have been to two WS and won one. The pirates haven't even won a playoff game and now they are sellers at the deadline. They never made an all in move and you could argue their window is either closed or closing fast.

There are Brewer's fans that complain about the trades Melvin made, but I'd much rather take a shot than stand pat like the pirates.

Getting Felipe Rivero is a huge get for the Pirates for this year and the next few years.

This is not a White Flag type of trade for the Pirates...

Who is better Melancon or Rivero? It isn't even close. Not saying it is a white flag deal, but it isn't like they are trying hard to win that wild card spot.

I'm one who doesn't put a high value on relievers. Not at all. I think the Chapman and Miller trades involved ridiculous returns. But on the flip side, the return for Melancon doesn't seem very good. He is a rental and he makes big bucks, both which should diminish his value. I get that. But only getting what appears to be a setup man with upside plus another long-shot reliever doesn't seem like very much of a return for a guy that...well look at his track record over the last two and a half years.

It's pretty staggering to look at the returns between the Chapman/Miller deals and the Melancon deal. It's almost like MLB is paying these other teams to overpay for Yankee bullpen guys to try to elevate the Yankees back to their place as kings on the MLB throne.

Verified Member
I'm one who doesn't put a high value on relievers. Not at all. I think the Chapman and Miller trades involved ridiculous returns. But on the flip side, the return for Melancon doesn't seem very good. He is a rental and he makes big bucks, both which should diminish his value. I get that. But only getting what appears to be a setup man with upside plus another long-shot reliever doesn't seem like very much of a return for a guy that...well look at his track record over the last two and a half years.

It's pretty staggering to look at the returns between the Chapman/Miller deals and the Melancon deal. It's almost like MLB is paying these other teams to overpay for Yankee bullpen guys to try to elevate the Yankees back to their place as kings on the MLB throne.

Yep. I mean, if they had Betances, Miller, and Chapman that's most of what you need for a WS run, right? Right??

Archived