Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 5: endgame)

You guys don't seem to understand that almost no player sits unless a deal is completed...You see it all the time, a player pulled from the game because he was traded, but never sitting out in anticipation of a trade that may never even happen.

I agree 100%. This is professional baseball. All are professionals from the grounds crew, to the umps, and to the front office. You act as a professional at this level. Not some kid playing fantasy baseball or some video game.

The same pros that don't bring up their best players so they can skip over a year of control?

It's a business and Luc is our best trade asset by a ton.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys don't seem to understand that almost no player sits unless a deal is completed...You see it all the time, a player pulled from the game because he was traded, but never sitting out in anticipation of a trade that may never even happen.

I agree 100%. This is professional baseball. All are professionals from the grounds crew, to the umps, and to the front office. You act as a professional at this level. Not some kid playing fantasy baseball or some video game.

The same pros that don't bring up their best players so they can skip over a year of control?

It's a business and Luc is our best trade asset by a ton.

Who can still be traded next year.

Nah, now is the time to get maximum value...We may not have a bidding war next year, too many things can shake out differently. We know there are teams looking for a catcher NOW, waiting to see what happens next year is as risky as playing Luc this weekend...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Get out to the game tomorrow. As it will be Lucroy's last game as a Brewer!!!

I'm actually hoping it was tonight... Not in a negative way, just hoping a deal gets hashed out before game time tomorrow so we aren't tempted to play him again...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

And if what happened to Cervelli happened to him we'd be going through the whole song and dance we went through last winter. Injury prone. Has to prove he's healthy etc., except this time we have no leverage because if we don't trade him in the winter, his value goes down a ton.

And if what happened to Cervelli happened to him we'd be going through the whole song and dance we went through last winter. Injury prone. Has to prove he's healthy etc., except this time we have no leverage because if we don't trade him in the winter, his value goes down a ton.

But you also don't trade him just to trade him...you get EXACTLY what you want, or you keep him. It's not going to set the franchise back any further if he played out his contract in Milwaukee.

But you also don't trade him just to trade him...you get EXACTLY what you want, or you keep him. It's not going to set the franchise back any further if he played out his contract in Milwaukee.

Uhh what...

It would definitely set the franchise back if he plays out his contract. This will most likely be their best chance to infuse the system with top talent for the next couple years at least. If they really hit on this trade, it would be a big part of their next contending team.

While we contemplate the idea of a Trevor Bauer for Lucroy deal...

The Rangers have renewed interest in Lucroy. Plus maybe even more?

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2016/07/29/rangers-take-indirect-path-improve-pitching-rotation

In the case of the Rangers, it means pondering a deal with Milwaukee that would bring power-hitting catcher and expert pitch framer Jonathan Lucroy along with a controllable reliever and - in a big enough package - perhaps even a secondary starter. Two major league sources on Friday confirmed explorative talks along those lines. Milwaukee, which rarely scouts teams in person, had a scout at Globe Life Park for the Rangers' game against Kansas City. The Rangers were able to show him a lineup that had Profar hitting leadoff and playing the outfield for the first time this year and Gallo at DH.

It would definitely set the franchise back if he plays out his contract. This will most likely be their best chance to infuse the system with top talent for the next couple years at least. If they really hit on this trade, it would be a big part of their next contending team.

IF being the key word...there are too many variables...and when have the brewers EVER hit on any prospects they have acquired thru trades?? When they have hit, it's been there own homegrown talent. That's why i said earlier...I agree 100% with Tim Allen's take...enough talk about " multiple prospects" enough talk about "high ceilings" and "potential" in a deal for LuCroy. What this franchise needs more than anything else to turn the corner is an absolute "can't miss" guy...that's what you should be asking for in a trade. I'd rather have one "can't miss" prospect, than 5-6 "high ceiling" guys with "potential" that may or may not work out...because honestly, they might to an extent, but I'd bet none of them would develop into a can't miss guy.

and who is this cant miss prospect we could actually get for lucroy lol

ANYONE is acquirable for the right price. To say they aren't is all just talk...there isn't any player in any sport that isn't tradeable if another team offers the right deal.

IF being the key word...there are too many variables...and when have the brewers EVER hit on any prospects they have acquired thru trades?? When they have hit, it's been there own homegrown talent. That's why i said earlier...I agree 100% with Tim Allen's take...enough talk about " multiple prospects" enough talk about "high ceilings" and "potential" in a deal for LuCroy. What this franchise needs more than anything else to turn the corner is an absolute "can't miss" guy...that's what you should be asking for in a trade. I'd rather have one "can't miss" prospect, than 5-6 "high ceiling" guys with "potential" that may or may not work out...because honestly, they might to an extent, but I'd bet none of them would develop into a can't miss guy.

You do realize that even "can't miss" guys can fail, right? As long as they're prospects, they're mainly evaluated based on potential that they may or may not reach.

Another issue is that there aren't many "can't miss" prospects at any given time. Given the rarity, not even Lucroy is going to get the deal done. It's like asking for a Honus Wagner card while offering a relatively ordinary card in return.

So your line of thinking has two main flaws:

1. You're assuming "can't miss" guys are guarantees to excel even when they have not proven much in the majors.

2. You're assuming that trading for "can't miss" guys is easier than it actually is.

You can ask for an established major league star, but what's the point? If you go down that path we're gonna be in the same exact situation some 2-3 years from now with nothing to show for the trouble. The Brewers need more than one piece to get to the World Series.

1) You're quoting Tim Allen, who would trade the entire AAA and AA teams to win 5 more games this season. So, I can't exactly take your words seriously.

2) The idea that not trading Lucroy for the best deal you can get right now would have no effect compared to playing out his contract is ludicrous.

3) The Brewers have traded approximately 1 guy with anywhere near Lucroy's value in the last 10 years: Greinke. For that they got Hellweg, Segura and Ariel Pena. Segura happened to be the #1 Angels prospect and was considered an absolute "Can't Miss" prospect.

What this franchise needs more than anything is to acquire talent for a guy they won't be resigning. Things they didn't get with Sabathia, Fielder and Hart.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm not interested in any trade with Texas that doesn't begin with Nomar Mazara.

I'm 'meh' on Joey Gallo. He just strikes me as someone who, after he gets his first big contract, comes back to

spring training looking like Rosie O'Donnell ... shirt untucked to cover his baby bump.

Profar would be OK as a third piece.

Anyone claiming Lucroy should be benched until the deadline are completely ignoring that such an event would

be used by opposing GM's to claim he was delicate and not worth what the Brewers ask.

No sane GM would claim that. Or if he did, he'd watch another team take Lucroy from him if he tried to use that to lower the asking price.

And if you're demanding Mazara from Texas, you won't be trading with Texas.

1) You're quoting Tim Allen, who would trade the entire AAA and AA teams to win 5 more games this season. So, I can't exactly take your words seriously.

2) The idea that not trading Lucroy for the best deal you can get right now would have no effect compared to playing out his contract is ludicrous.

3) The Brewers have traded approximately 1 guy with anywhere near Lucroy's value in the last 10 years: Greinke. For that they got Hellweg, Segura and Ariel Pena. Segura happened to be the #1 Angels prospect and was considered an absolute "Can't Miss" prospect.

What this franchise needs more than anything is to acquire talent for a guy they won't be resigning. Things they didn't get with Sabathia, Fielder and Hart.

It's funny you mention the Greinke deal...How did getting "multiple" prospects work out for the Brewers in that one?? Segura was FAR from a can't miss prospect...many wondered if he would hit well enough...just because he is an organizations top prospect doesn't make him "can't miss". I'd argue it doesn't have to be a minor leaguer..it could be a young, controllable major league player currently.

Every Gm will use every tool available to get the best deal.

Lucroy is -at worst- the second best catcher in baseball today. To get him, you have to offer quality.

Mazara may become the best rf in baseball ... or not. If the Rangers want quality, they have to give

up quality.

No Mazara - no deal.

Why would the Rangers trade a current bat for another bat? That doesn't make them better. After 3 threads of over 12,000 posts on Lucroy, let's get back to the basics. Teams will trade prospects for Lucroy, not productive MLB players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Segura never was higher than #55 on BA's Top 100. He was never close to being a can't miss prospect.

LOL I love this board...you guys rave about how great of a trading chip Lucroy is...but then basically devalue him by saying you want "lottery tickets" for him. He either has All star value, or he doesn't?? You can't have it both ways..getting 3-4 "lottery" tickets is NOT appropriate value for someone you think has tremendous value.

Archived