Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 5: endgame)

Gallo's don't win world series. Gallo's of the world go .085 in playoffs when the pitching is at it's best. Give me a 5 or 4 tool player who can hit for a scenario of given situations.

you compared him to carter, who batted .294 in the playoffs last season with a homer against KC.

Joey Gallo is only 22 years old, way to early to categorize him anywhere. Bottom line is that he is a top prospect that fills a need, sign me up. we can agree to disagree though and Im looking forward to seeing the return if lu is moved.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three days may seem like no big deal if this were a video game, but in the real world you have to start your star player as long as he's on the team. It's a business. They are paying him tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars for those three games, and tens of thousands of fans are showing up to watch him play.

It's the same reason that, while it makes sense on paper, teams do not deliberately throw their last 5-10 games to get a better draft pick

Yeah it's a business. And good business dictates you don't take unreasonable risks where the possible gain is far inferior to the possible loss. Let's say Lucroy plays all three games and the Brewers will all three. Awesome. They're still a bottom five team in the league. Now let's say he plays and gets hurt. Well there goes your opportunity to trade him. And God forbid it's another concussion. Is the chance slim? Sure. But again why even risk it?

And It's ironic that you bring up the idea of not sitting guys at the end of the year when not sitting Lucory resulted in him getting hurt and possibly prevented him from being traded last offseason.

Finally I highly doubt people are coming to these games specifically to watch Lucroy. But even so you don't, or shouldn't, pander to causal fans who don't understand the intricacies of the game. If people show up to MP and are pissed that Lucroy isn't playing three days before a deadline where all indications are that he will be traded then so be it.

Here's how bad the catching situation is in Cleveland. The Indians just pinch hit Almonte for Gimenez in the bottom of the 7th with 2 runners on. This is 3rd time I have seen the Indians pinch hit for their catcher in the last 2 weeks. The Indians have no faith in their catchers whatsoever. Cleveland HAS to be hard up for Lucroy.

It's repeatedly been said that the Padres just sat a guy before trading him.

Yes, he sat out a game against the team he was being traded to while they finalized the deal. Not exactly the same situation...

If there is a deal close to being finalized Lucroy would not be starting.

He sat out two games, one against Washington and one against Toronto and the Orioles were at one point a favorite to acquire him. Your argument is ridiculous.

You sit him for these 3 games or at least don't play him at a position where freak injuries can happen like catcher. And the reason you don't sit him at the beginning of July is because if he did get hurt, you could conceivably have him come back from a two week injury and still have two weeks to prove he's the same guy he was before. He gets a foul ball off the mask or sprains an ankle or pulls a hamstring and teams are going to back away.

I agree with Tim Allen on AM 1250...enough with all this "numerous" prospects talk...or "big potential" guys...give me one sure fire can't miss prospect for Luc..1-1. Call it a day. That's what this organization needs more than anything else.

This is fairly reckless letting him play. It could be a franchise altering disaster if something bad were to happen. It sounded like there was momentum moving towards a deal enough to sit him, I'm stunned he's playing.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Verified Member

He sat out two games, one against Washington and one against Toronto and the Orioles were at one point a favorite to acquire him. Your argument is ridiculous.

You sit him for these 3 games or at least don't play him at a position where freak injuries can happen like catcher. And the reason you don't sit him at the beginning of July is because if he did get hurt, you could conceivably have him come back from a two week injury and still have two weeks to prove he's the same guy he was before. He gets a foul ball off the mask or sprains an ankle or pulls a hamstring and teams are going to back away.

Strange that my argument is being called "ridiculous" when it is an objective fact that all 30 teams in baseball will continue to start players on their teams when a trade is not imminent.

Jay Bruce is starting tonight as well, guess you guys have another team take control of and correct these foolish GMs!

Indians catching prospect Francisco Mejia just extended his minor league hitting streak in high-A to 41 games. If he is included in a Lucroy trade it is going to be almost evil to send him to Brevard County with the streak intact.

I just wish he was a little farther along. If so, Tribe would call him up and not worry about Lucroy or any other Catcher on the market...

Call it a hunch but I think Cleveland is working a deal with Tampa Bay and Mejia will be part of it.

Fyi - fans finally showing up at Tribe games. 50k for the2 games vs Washington on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Over 33k at game tonight. After renovations, the field only holds 35k now (down from 42k when it opened) cc

Strange that my argument is being called "ridiculous" when it is an objective fact that all 30 teams in baseball will continue to start players on their teams when a trade is not imminent.

Jay Bruce is starting tonight as well, guess you guys have another team take control of and correct these foolish GMs!

I said in the game thread and in this thread that while I wouldn't like it, I would be okay with him pinch hitting or even starting at 1B. Too many things can happen to a catcher that don't happen to other position players. Is the risk small? Yes. Is the risk worth whatever reward there is? Not a chance.

Would Luc even approve a trade to Cleveland?

He's kind of a (word I can't use here) if he doesn't after all the whining he did in the offseason about wanting to play for a winner.

Oh my people. He's playing baseball. He will be just fine. He's not made of glass.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You guys don't seem to understand that almost no player sits unless a deal is completed...You see it all the time, a player pulled from the game because he was traded, but never sitting out in anticipation of a trade that may never even happen.

You guys don't seem to understand that almost no player sits unless a deal is completed...You see it all the time, a player pulled from the game because he was traded, but never sitting out in anticipation of a trade that may never even happen.

I agree 100%. This is professional baseball. All are professionals from the grounds crew, to the umps, and to the front office. You act as a professional at this level. Not some kid playing fantasy baseball or some video game.

This is fairly reckless letting him play. It could be a franchise altering disaster if something bad were to happen. It sounded like there was momentum moving towards a deal enough to sit him, I'm stunned he's playing.

Franchise altering is pretty extreme. He can be traded in the offseason still and some experts feel the Brewers can get more In December than July (I disagree with this)

Indians catching prospect Francisco Mejia just extended his minor league hitting streak in high-A to 41 games. If he is included in a Lucroy trade it is going to be almost evil to send him to Brevard County with the streak intact.

I would think if the teams really wanted to work around that they could use the PTBNL tag.

Oh, the same professionals who hold star prospects back for a few weeks, months or days to maintain service time, skip pitcher starts based on some fictional innings threshold, knowingly ingest/inject banned substances to enhance performance, engage in bean ball wars, slide 4 feet away from a base to contact a fielder, steal private data from their old employer... Those professionals?

I do get the argument to start him. I don't thinks it's catastrophic but I don't think it's unrealistic to sit your all-star catching trade chip or at the very least move him out of harms way a bit by playing him at first.

I agree 100%. This is professional baseball. All are professionals from the grounds crew, to the umps, and to the front office. You act as a professional at this level. Not some kid playing fantasy baseball or some video game.

If the rumor that they have the other teams' offers and are just reviewing them was true, then it's crazy to start him. As I type this, Cervelli gets drilled and is being carried off the field. Catching is tough work.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Cervilli down...would we trade within the division??

It is that easy for your catcher to get hurt, anytime during any game...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived