Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 5: endgame)

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't just sit him the entire month of July. Teams are still just talking. If there was a handshake on a deal he would be pulled

This is a strawman. Nobody has suggested we sit him the entire month of July. But we're talking three days before the deadline. If he gets hurt you miss out on a potentially franchise changing trade. There is zero reason to risk it right now. But if you insist on playing him why not play him at first base at least?

Ok, then why was there >0% reason to risk him starting last week or the week before? We've all known Lucroy would be on the trading block since before the season started, literally nothing has changed.

At some point, you have to do what is best for your team, Now is that time. It wouldn't make any sense to sit him as you have suggested, but now it makes perfect sense to sit him and protect our future. I don't see how this is an argument, now is the time to be prudent with the future of this team, and having him take the field is just far too risky. One misplaced foul ball, and any value he had in a trade is gone until next year.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ok, then why was there >0% reason to risk him starting last week or the week before? We've all known Lucroy would be on the trading block since before the season started, literally nothing has changed.

Why play him at all this year then? How far do we want to take this ridiculous argument?

And yes something has changed. The date. We are now three days away from the deadline, not 30 days. The difference is not really the risk. The risk of him getting hurt is no different. The difference is the reasonableness of sitting him. Sitting him for three days is reasonable. Sitting him an entire month is not.

Verified Member

At some point, you have to do what is best for your team, Now is that time. It wouldn't make any sense to sit him as you have suggested, but now it makes perfect sense to sit him and protect our future. I don't see how this is an argument, now is the time to be prudent with the future of this team, and having him take the field is just far too risky. One misplaced foul ball, and any value he had in a trade is gone until next year.

There is zero distinction between today and last week or the week before. When is the magic threshold to stop starting him? Two days out but not four?

I think they've already been giving him more days off than normal, but as long as a player is on your team and you are paying his salary, you can't just bench him in the hopes that a trade will materialize. Neither the players nor the (more casual) fans want that. There's a very good chance Lucroy is still on the Brewers on August 2 and Stearns will try again in the offseason.

Verified Member

Three days may seem like no big deal if this were a video game, but in the real world you have to start your star player as long as he's on the team. It's a business. They are paying him tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars for those three games, and tens of thousands of fans are showing up to watch him play.

It's the same reason that, while it makes sense on paper, teams do not deliberately throw their last 5-10 games to get a better draft pick.

Three days may seem like no big deal if this were a video game, but in the real world you have to start your star player as long as he's on the team.

Says who?

The smart play is to reduce the risk of injury when a trade is almost certainly on the horizon. What he is being paid for those 3 games is of no concern when you are talking about the future of this team.

This argument is ridiculous. I'm going to bow out, if you can't see the points being made in this thread, it is a waste of my time to continue to respond.

The Brewer's are still trying to put as competitive team as they can and win Braun out tonight Lucroy plays is it a risk a little worth bit ching about no.

huh?

You can't just sit him the entire month of July. Teams are still just talking. If there was a handshake on a deal he would be pulled

This is a strawman. Nobody has suggested we sit him the entire month of July. But we're talking three days before the deadline. If he gets hurt you miss out on a potentially franchise changing trade. There is zero reason to risk it right now. But if you insist on playing him why not play him at first base at least?

Because the teams interested in him weren't up against a deadline. If they want him they have to trade for him in the next 3 days. Keeping him from catching for 3 days isn't a big deal. Sitting him completely wouldn't be a big deal either, which is what I'd do.

Verified Member
Three days may seem like no big deal if this were a video game, but in the real world you have to start your star player as long as he's on the team.

Says who?

The smart play is to reduce the risk of injury when a trade is almost certainly on the horizon. What he is being paid for those 3 games is of no concern when you are talking about the future of this team.

This argument is ridiculous. I'm going to bow out, if you can't see the points being made in this thread, it is a waste of my time to continue to respond.

Yes, how ridiculous of me to take the same position as the front office of the franchise (and every other front office in baseball). Perhaps one day I (and Stearns, and all 29 other GMs) will see the light.

Verified Member
Brewers scout present at the Rangers game tonight...

@Evan_P_Grant: Milwaukee, which rarely sends scouts to big league games, has a scout here tonight. Sign clubs are talking re: Lucroy, others.

Profar and Gallo both starting

Hope it's Gallo. Profar would only add two years of team control over what we already have in Lucroy.

Verified Member
It's repeatedly been said that the Padres just sat a guy before trading him.

Yes, he sat out a game against the team he was being traded to while they finalized the deal. Not exactly the same situation...

If there is a deal close to being finalized Lucroy would not be starting.

We already have a Gallo. It's called Chris Carter.

OK thats fine. the goal is to get young controllable talent, thats not CC. I don't mind taking gallo as a centerpiece of the deal, he was once the top prospect in baseball, carter was never close.

Community Moderator
Indians catching prospect Francisco Mejia just extended his minor league hitting streak in high-A to 41 games. If he is included in a Lucroy trade it is going to be almost evil to send him to Brevard County with the streak intact.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived