Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 4)

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 1m1 minute ago

Mets "have enough" to get a Lucroy deal done, industry source says. But there is skepticism that D'Arnaud + prospect would satisfy Brewers.

If the Brewers won't accept the deal, how is that the Mets have "enough" to get a deal done?

Mets "have enough" to get a Lucroy deal done, industry source says. But there is skepticism that D'Arnaud + prospect would satisfy Brewers.

If the Brewers won't accept the deal, how is that the Mets have "enough" to get a deal done?

That was my thought. Those sentences seem incompatible, unless they mean that the Mets system "has enough" to get a deal done, but the offer of D'Arnaud + prospect isn't what the Brewers have in mind.

Gruber Lawffices

jeff ellis ‏@jeffMLBdraft 2m2 minutes ago

Lots of talk about Mets deal featuring d'Arnuad right now as a center piece for Lucroy. After so many injuries and meh defense, dont see it

jeff ellis ‏@jeffMLBdraft 1m1 minute ago

I would think any Lucroy deal is around Dom Smith, with d'Arnuad as a secondary piece

That was my thought. Those sentences seem incompatible, unless they mean that the Mets system "has enough" to get a deal done, but the offer of D'Arnaud + prospect isn't what the Brewers have in mind.

I don't even want D'Arnaud. He is arby eligible after this year. I would want guys with at the very least 5 years of control. Preferably guys in AAA or lower.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't see how d'Arnaud has much trade value at the moment. He's not going to stick behind the plate and can barely stay on the field anyway. Even if the Brewers thought he'd be able to handle third base and were confident that his injury issues are not a long-term concern, there's too much risk for him to be anything resembling a centerpiece.

I think I would take Dominic Smith, d'Arnaud, Gsellman, Wotell, and Szapucki for Lucroy and an Angel Ortega-type prospect. Maybe.

Ditto on D'Arnaud. Im not sure at all why we would want him unless its a throw in on the real trade.

To me he almost has negative value at this point since he will cost quite a bit starting next year and he is always hurt. We can't afford to bring on injury prone players especially at a position with a short shelf life anyhow.

D'Arnaud and Smith don't do it for me. The Brewers have got to add another Josh Hader type SP ceiling in a Lucroy trade. Give us Steven Matz with Smith even D'Arnaud and the Brewers can kick in a Thornburg. Otherwise, Mets aren't giving the SP the Brewers need in a Lucroy trade.

We need a TOR SP potential in a Lucroy Deal. To have what's considered #1 trade piece by most accounts this season is the best moment in time to get this type. Think about it. Who's going to be the next #1 trade piece in a Deadline deal for Milwaukee in the next 4 years?

Pretty sure that's not in any team's rebuilding manual. "Trade your best chip for a broken down 27 year old Catcher (sort of)"

I don't get the Mets. Not a bunch of fools over there with the pitching talent they have developed, and still a decent system. But this is two years in a row now they're yanking the Brewers chain. Do they think they can bully the little old Brewers into a bad trade? Also two years in a row they made things public. We don't know the story, but I really hope Stearns is polite yet firm with them. As in "I would love to get a deal done with you, but please don't waste my time and yours."

The Mets media seems to really be pushing this narrative of D'Arnaud being the centerpiece, but like others have said I don't see him having much value to Milwaukee at this point. He might be in a deal, but only if he's an afterthought from our perspective.

I totally agree. He may be part of a proposed deal, and he may look like the big name from a casual fan's view because he is a ML player, but I can't imagine, given what Stearns' stated goal is, that he is the centerpiece of a deal with the Brewers.

Who's going to be the next #1 trade piece in a Deadline deal for Milwaukee in the next 4 years?

Jimmy Nelson could be that guy, depending on how he performs moving forward. Santana could be, way too early to know that yet. Villar has potential to be that type of guy. But yea, your point is taken. None of those three guys have the value (yet) that Lucroy has.

Matz has major injury red flags and I am extremely dubious that the Mets would give him up anyway. Speaking of injuries and besides d'Arnaud, Zack Wheeler.

The Mets are very light on pitching prospects outside of the guys they already have in their rotation, so I don't know that the Brewers are going to get an impact arm from the Amazin's, at least not a guy that's presently regarded as an impact arm.

Given the fast rising of Woodruff, and the ability of Hader, Ponce and others, I'm not sure starting pitching is a bigger priority than a slugging 1B who could be a core player in a couple years. That's something completely missing in the Brewer system.

I see Smith, d'Arnoud and a lower level arm as a nice return. d'Arnoud would give them a relatively young catcher with proven success working with young pitching and he'll have plenty of trade value himself in a couple years should Nottingham develop.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd get best players available regardless of position.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't even understand why D'Arnaud would even be considered by the Brewers? Even as a secondary piece. Why would they eat up some of Lucroy's value with multi-concussed 27 year-old catcher with only three years of control left?

I don't even understand why D'Arnaud would even be considered by the Brewers? Even as a secondary piece. Why would they eat up some of Lucroy's value with multi-concussed 27 year-old catcher with only three years of control left?

He's been playing now for over a month so his concussion issue is no more than Lucroy's. He's had success working with young talented arms and he's not a terrible hitter. Brewers are going to need someone to work with guys like Hader, Woodruff, Davies etc.

There usually are catchers to be had to help with a young pitching staff. If that were the Brewers' intentions, I'd rather they just keep Lucroy rather than deal him for d'Arnaud. If he's a big part of the return, I'd feel pretty disappointed that our best trade chip was spent acquiring a catcher who doesn't have much team control left.

He's been playing now for over a month so his concussion issue is no more than Lucroy's. He's had success working with young talented arms and he's not a terrible hitter. Brewers are going to need someone to work with guys like Hader, Woodruff, Davies etc.

No once you starting getting multiple concussions a month healthy doesn't fix the problem. If any team, or D Arnaud, values his future health/life he should not be playing catcher. Mets have already talked about making the move and another concussion would seal the deal. Heck it could end his career.

The D'arnaud speculation was absolutely preposterous. 0% chance Stearns would trade for someone like that, let alone center a trade around someone like that. DS has stated he wants the young+controllable and has practiced what he preached. I trust him.

Read this if you'd like to throw up in your mouth:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachpetersel/2016/07/24/travis-darnaud-jonathan-lucroy-trade-would-be-win-win-for-new-york-mets-and-milwaukee-brewers/#590ef158364f

A Lucroy + Jeffress/Smith for d’Arnaud + Cecchini/Nimmo + low-level pitcher would be a win-win for both teams as they head in opposite directions.
Gruber Lawffices

Archived