Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 4)

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not think the Tigers match up that well and that's fine. I'm perfectly happy seeing their name dangled while the division leading Indians are also in the race to acquire Lucroy. Hopefully they pull the stick out and get comfortable with the idea of having to deal talent to acquire talent. Cleveland is my preferred trade partner since they have a stocked system that matches well with their obvious need at catcher. And personally I would prefer they acquire Lucroy and a RP for their run...outside of Baltimore, which I have an affinity for do to my proximity to the area.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Or they could trade Matt Manning couldnt they? I would rather have Manning than Jimenez. I dont think the Tigers could come up with enough to land him. It would have to be so watered down it wouldnt be worth the time to entertain.
With the new Trea Turner rule I believe they cannot until after the World Series.

Heck if we are going to take the "guys we should have drafted this year but didnt" approach, why not try a different sort of trade, but with the Marlins.

The Brewers send Lucroy and Smith to Miami and in return get J.T. Realmuto, Luis Castillo and Braxton Garret.

Marlins make a big upgrade at a premium position for the stretch run the Brewers get a catcher they can control for 4 more years and a lottery ticket and a really nice arm. Its not a big future move, but if Realmuto continues to improve as he has this year, they have a guy to flip when contention comes around again in 2020 or so.

Dear god, no. Same to the Detroit proposal above

The more I look at packages, and the more I look at our farm system, I really think we should be trying to get a real blue chip prospect in return, despite the fact that this lessens the quantity of the return. Outside of a struggling Arcia, we don't have one really even close to an elite prospect. Lucroy is our last, best trade chip.

I see desperate posters. And if these are the kind of packages that come along, you keep Lucroy. You don't just trade to trade. If your trading a dollar today, you need a buck fifty back tommorrow. Not 90 cents.

This narrative that Arcia is struggling is just plain wrong. The defense is outstanding, the XBH's are piling up, and the walks are steady. He is very young for AAA.

Enough with that junk. The guy is an outstanding prospect.

Somebody on a Tiger site made this proposal for Lucroy AND Smith

James McCann

Tyler Alexander

Steven Moya

Austin Kubitza

Jaire Labourt

Kubitza and Labourt are both struggling in A ball so of very little value. McCann is controllable and wasn't bad last year but I'd rather have d'Arnoud if I'm wanting a replacement for Lucroy in the deal. McCann looks like a marginal starter at best going forward. Moya's a nice power bat that's major league ready, but has defensive issues (who doesn't on the Brewers?). He just turned 23, so that's a plus also. He's also cut his strikeout rate down considerably in AAA this year. Alexander is a lefty starter drafted in 2nd round in 2015 out of TCU and is putting up nice numbers as a 21 year old in high A ball and definitely a prospect.

No way that package gets them Lucroy and Smith in my opinion. McCann, Alexander and Moya for Lucroy alone? At least worth discussion.

Ha ha! That's comical. So, the Tigers (who have one of the worst farm systems in baseball) wouldn't have to give up any of their Top 6 prospects according to MLB.com (of which, none are even in the Top 100) in a deal for Lucroy. Once again, these opposing fans are being absolutely delusional. Honestly, The Tigers could offer up their Top 5 prospects for Lucroy and I'm not sure if I'd even be satisfied with that deal?

Moya was #100 on mlb.com prior to 2015, and based on his year at AAA: .289/.317/.545, that's not too far off. My initial post has his wrong age though. He's nearly 25. Still he fills a Brewer need in corner OF. I have a hard time believing Alexander won't be in their top 3 or 4 after the year he's having at Lakeland too (2.27 ERA, 1.038 WHIP, and 5.27 K/BB ratio).

I'm sure Detroit would love to keep Luc out of Cleveland and that may be the impetus for their interest. But the more teams bidding the better the package ends up being.

UMBrewer, as stated previously players selected in the most recent June draft cannot be traded right now.

I understand this, was simply playing the "what if" game.

Too bad they cant wait until after the World Series.

Rather than sorting through all the old messages could someone post what could be realistic offers from the indians for Lucroy or Lucroy and Smith? Looks like they have 5 or so top 100 prospects. Who could we get there?

The more I look at packages, and the more I look at our farm system, I really think we should be trying to get a real blue chip prospect in return, despite the fact that this lessens the quantity of the return. Outside of a struggling Arcia, we don't have one really even close to an elite prospect. Lucroy is our last, best trade chip.

I don't know who will end up with Lucroy, but there will be a blue chip prospect plus a couple other good prospects in the deal, or no deal will be done. If Stearns was willing to settle for less than this, Lucroy would have been traded before the season started.

I'd guess the deal will be for the "blue chipper" headlining the deal to be in AA/AAA, plus a 2-3 other top 100 guys from any level, and an 18-year old wildcard from Rookie ball.

Add this to 2-3 more Top 100 guys coming back when we trade some relievers, and our farm will be in really good shape even after Arcia, Hader, and the "blue chipper" from the above trade are in the majors next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I assume the rationale is because Rule 4 (June) draft picks can't be traded (except for the competitive balance picks), MLB doesn't want teams skirting the rule by making selections ostensibly for someone else, and then trading the selection right away to that someone else.

Why draft picks can't be traded is a whole other question.

Rather than sorting through all the old messages could someone post what could be realistic offers from the indians for Lucroy or Lucroy and Smith? Looks like they have 5 or so top 100 prospects. Who could we get there?

Hard to fully gauge what a realistic return is from Cleveland, but I'll take a stab at what I'd like in return if I were Stearns:

For just Lucroy: Frazier or Zimmer, Mejia and McKenzie

If you add Will Smith into the deal as well, then add in either Bradley or Sheffield and 1-2 other high upside 18-19 year old kids that Stearns usually tries to pick up in deals.

Then again, what do I really know? I could be completely way off in my expectations.

There are lots of people on this board who are better at this then me, but I'll give it a shot.

Cleveland has two stud OF prospects at AAA in 21-year old Clint Frazier and 23-year old Bradley Zimmer. Both have speed and power and can play CF. I would guess that Stearns is holding out for one of these guys to headline the deal.

They have two young LHP in former #1 overall pick, 19-year old Brady Aiken (Rookie ball) and 20-year old Justus Sheffield (High A). Both are at the lower end of the top 100 but are obviously huge upside. I'd guess Stearns would want one of these guys (he'd want both, but not gonna happen).

They have a 1B prospect with huge power in 20-year old Bobby Bradley (High A), and a catching prospect in 20-year old Francisco Mejia (High-A). One of these guys would make sense to fill out the trade.

So:

One of Frazier/Bradley, one of Aiken/Sheffield, and one of Bradley/Mejia.

My guess is that Cleveland is trying to get a deal done with more players, but not the quality, and Stearns is holding out for something like this.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

For me (caveat with for me), I do a deal for the following:

Lucroy and Smith

for

1. Zimmer or Frazier

2. McKenzie

3. Aiken or Sheffield

4. An Isan Diaz-type lottery ticket

If I am the Brewers, Lucroy alone requires 1, 2 & 4. Adding Smith requires 3.

Yeah, thanks. Great point.

I wonder if it's sort of the Brooklyn Nets phenomenon or what Ted Stepien did to the Cavs 35 years ago. You trade away your number one picks, and it's tough to turn around. But to say you can never trade away a number one pick seems like too much micromanaging and extreme. I wonder if there is some financial component to the rule.

Sure hope that Lucroy is sitting out the day game after a night game. Haudricourt is saying that talks with multiple teams have ramped up the past 24 hours. Would give them a day and half of striking a deal without having him suit up again.

No Lucroy in the lineup today. Let the speculation begin!

I'm sure they'll say that it is the "day game after the night game" day off, but I'm sure they also don't want to risk him getting injured today - and this will give them a day and a half here to maybe strike a deal before they'd have to play him again.

At this point I could see the Indians parting with Zimmer. With the emergence of Frazier, Naquin, Diaz, Chisenhall, JRam, Allen, lower level guys like Santander, Lukes, Marabell. Then there is Brantley as well. I think the Indians, as well as most people, now have Frazier as the top prospect in the system. Zimmer is now much more expendable and still very valuable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No Lucroy in the lineup today. Let the speculation begin!

I'm sure they'll say that it is the "day game after the night game" day off, but I'm sure they also don't want to risk him getting injured today - and this will give them a day and a half here to maybe strike a deal before they'd have to play him again.

Or another team that they are close to a deal with has requested he sit out.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived