Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 4)

In light of the complete absence of rumors lately I gave my friend who is a Brewers scout a call.

He is nowhere near a front office exec and does not have precise info.

However, here is what he told me for what its worth.

1. Stearns is really focusing on the lower levels of teams systems. Apparently the new regime believes you get the most value by going lower into someones system. Look no further than the Adam Lind and Khris Davis trades.

2. He did not suggest Stearns is going to trade any of the top guys for 6 or 7 lottery tickets, it is more that Stearns would rather take 2 advanced guys and 3 lottery tickets as opposed to just 3 advanced guys.

3. He knows very little about what is going on in the eastern part of the country, however, he said that the Brewers have shifted most of their western scouting resources from the Rangers system over to the Dodgers and Giants systems. When I talked to him he was en route to Rancho Cucamonga with instructions to watch Yusniel Diaz, Johan Mieses, and Grant Holmes start this week.

Take it for what its worth.

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=994857#p994857

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33647

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm wondering if the Indians really believe in their catchers

They're stupid if they do.

Stupid doesn't begin to describe the Indians.

Supposedly they're about to give up Bradley, one of Zimmer / Frazier and one of Sheffield / McKenzie for 2 months of Aroldis Chapman :laughing

@WiscoSportsNut

I'm wondering if the Indians really believe in their catchers

They're stupid if they do.

Stupid doesn't begin to describe the Indians.

Supposedly they're about to give up Bradley, one of Zimmer / Frazier and one of Sheffield / McKenzie for 2 months of Aroldis Chapman :laughing

Woah read your rumors more closely. I saw that rumor too however with one big difference. That is what they are ASKING for. Nearly had a heart attack thinking they would actually give that up(maybe they do never know).

I made sure to say supposedly because the person who posted the rumor said the deal could be announced today. Bruce Levine also said the Indians have the best names on the table and that a deal could be announced soon.

I'm hoping for our sake that it's not true. I want those prospects for Lucroy and Smith :angry

@WiscoSportsNut

Chapman is way above the Jeffress/Smith class of relief pitchers. He's a player that would for sure return at least one top 100 prospect. But if the Indians give up Zimmer or Frazier in a Chapman deal then they are nuts not to make a move for Lucroy instead unless Stearns asking price is totally ridiculous.

Keith Law is reporting that if Chapman goes to the Nationals that the return would be RHP-Erick Fedde (#61 in Baseball America's midseason rankings), RHP-Koda Glover (#19 in National's system accordng to MLB.com) and one more prospect. That looks about right to me. One prospect in the 50-100 range plus two more "role player" types. Chapman will be the best relief pitcher on the market, but he clearly is a rental and a pretty high priced one at that (11+ million salary this year). The team that trades for him would have to take on almost another 4 million in salary unless the Yankees pick up a bunch of it. That may not be a big deal for big market teams, but it could be a factor for a team like Cleveland.

I'm actually kind of surprised if the Yankees do become sellers. They are now 2 games over .500 and only 4.5 out of the last wildcard spot. Strange for a big market team to become sellers in that type of situation.

In light of the complete absence of rumors lately I gave my friend who is a Brewers scout a call.

1. Stearns is really focusing on the lower levels of teams systems. Apparently the new regime believes you get the most value by going lower into someones system. Look no further than the Adam Lind and Khris Davis trades.

2. He did not suggest Stearns is going to trade any of the top guys for 6 or 7 lottery tickets, it is more that Stearns would rather take 2 advanced guys and 3 lottery tickets as opposed to just 3 advanced guys.

3. He knows very little about what is going on in the eastern part of the country, however, he said that the Brewers have shifted most of their western scouting resources from the Rangers system over to the Dodgers and Giants systems. When I talked to him he was en route to Rancho Cucamonga with instructions to watch Yusniel Diaz, Johan Mieses, and Grant Holmes start this week.

Great stuff - thanks!

I would LOVE to grab Holmes from the Dodgers.

Theres interest in Lucroy. Worrying about lack of value? Hes been #1 now #2 trade for ranked player by MLBTR since they began ranking. Hes bringing back a higher return than Carlos Gomez who was not a #1 or 2 best player to trade for last season.

I want higher ceiling. Frazier over Zimmer. Aiken/McKenzie over Sheffield/Clevinger. After that top two you can fill in the lower level high ceiling/huge bust potentials on the trade.

Just remember that. Lucroy is the top or 2nd most prized trade asset. That value should come. AS Catcher-cheap-QO. Chapman doesnt have that. Bruce doesnt have that. .800+Ops at Catcher nobody can offer that as sellers.

A reliever is much more likely but I'm hoping it's not a coincidence that those teams aren't on Brauns no trade list. Thanks for the info.

@WiscoSportsNut

Cubs pulled their #1 prospect, a 19 yr old SS in adv A, I am guessing they're getting Chapman. Hell of a haul for a couple months of him if that's the deal.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The Brewers are not, "trying to package" a reliever with Lucroy - that is a misrepresentation. The Brewers have discussed their relievers with some of the same teams they have talked to about Lucroy, because some of those teams happen to need both a catcher and a bullpen upgrade.

I don't read into the Brewers pulling their scouts off of Texas at this point, because I can't imagine there's anything there left to see - they've done their work, and submitted their reports.

The Giants are definitely on the Brewers' bullpen, as most of their bullpen is about to hit free agency. I have no idea if they are interested in Braun right now.

The Dodgers - your guess is as good as mine right now, but the Brewers have some guys who would make them better.

Oh, and finally - I realize they're not going to say, "Oh my god, we need a catcher", during a trade negotiation, but oh my god, Cleveland needs a catcher.

Cubs pulled their #1 prospect, a 19 yr old SS in adv A, I am guessing they're getting Chapman. Hell of a haul for a couple months of him if that's the deal.
Yea, Torres has been on the Yankees radar for some time now. Damn if it's true the Cubs just shortened the game to 7 innings.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2016/07/roberto_perez_gets_in_hit_colu.html#incart_river_index

Cleveland papers reporting that Lucroy talks are wavering. Also said that it's believed that the Brewers are trying to package a reliever along with Lucroy in a deal.

In short, they're just the kind of relievers a rebuilding team such as the Brewers need.

lol wut?

I'm guessing the article was hinting at how controllable they are. Some think we can compete in 2018 or 2019. If we did that would be quite the back end of the bullpen assuming they keep up their production.

Community Moderator

Great stuff - thanks!

I would LOVE to grab Holmes from the Dodgers.

I'll second the thank you for sharing this information!

Regarding #1, the Isan Diaz acquisition out of Rookie ball is another good example of a nabbing a young player before his prospect status hit full bloom. It seems clear that thoroughly scouting the early developmental levels and back-fields is a priority for the current front office.

On #3, I am not all that surprised to hear the Brewers would have interest in Grant Holmes, but would assume that it would take one of the Brewers bigger trade chips to have Holmes included in the conversation? Very interesting...

Not just “at Night” anymore.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.2724395

Says the mets offered D arnaud straight up for Lucroy..

:laughing

The part of that article that I thought was interesting is that it mentions he Brewers were scouting the Mets' lower level minors. That's consistent with what we've seen reported on this site. They are definitely looking to get a few guys in the lower minors they feel good about along with a more "known" advanced prospect in any upcoming deals would be my guess.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived