Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers Proposal

I had discussed a Braun/Puig deal in the Braun trade value thread and there are a couple aspects of this swap that I hadn't thought of or didn't know about. It's hard to keep Braun and Puig ideas separate, because if the Dodgers went after Braun it's just logical that they would dump Puig on the Brewers because there is no way they would be willing to take on 100% of Braun's contract. And Attanasio would probably rather get something back for his money rather than just writing the Dodgers a check.

Puig has the option of opting out of his contract and choosing to go to arbitration instead. So if he was dealt to Milwaukee and hated it here, he could opt out of his contract and go to arbitration, then the Brewers could decline arbitration and Puig would be a free agent and Milwaukee wouldn't be on the hook for the 14 million he would have been owed under the old deal. He probably wouldn't decline arbitration after that trip to the minors; however, if the teams would have made a swap prior to the trade deadline and Puig had never been optioned out I think there is a good possibility he would have voided his deal and the Brewers could have been rid of him right away. That would have been a great situation for the Brewers.

The other aspect is the Dodger's luxury tax situation. They will be in the 50% bracket next year and from what I read could be there for the next several seasons. Just a quick calculation has Braun as still being guaranteed 80 million from 2017 on, and that's assuming a team opts out of 2021 and pays him the 4 million buyout. So while on the surface it looks like Braun is on a 4 year, 80 million dollar deal...for the Dodgers that could actually be a 4 year, 120 million dollar deal. 30 million per season. Now I have my doubts if the Dodgers would be interested in him at all.

Not Jungmann. The most I'd trade for Puig is Jed Bradley or someone who's performed similarly poorly (not otherwise of his draft pick level or the equivalent caliber of talent -- well, okay, I'd give 'em the silhouette of Chad Green or J.M. Gold).

I don't think Atlanta would appreciate you trading Jed Bradley.

Not Jungmann. The most I'd trade for Puig is Jed Bradley or someone who's performed similarly poorly (not otherwise of his draft pick level or the equivalent caliber of talent -- well, okay, I'd give 'em the silhouette of Chad Green or J.M. Gold).

I don't think Atlanta would appreciate you trading Jed Bradley.

Especially since he's been pitching very well for them.

I was recently checking the Brewers' minor league teams' stats and the main listings at MiLB.com don't differentiate those currently on the team vs. those not, so I brain cramped (twice) on Bradley.

I still would mind trading them someone else's prospect for Puig if it really meant we didn't have to give up anything. (Granted, that's like a baseball card trade, but why not?)

Lol. The Milwaukee Brewers already traded Jed Bradley to the Atlanta Braves for "cash". Without knowing the amount, I'm still not willing to trade said amount of "cash" for Yasiel Puig.

Well now you got me all confused on Braun's contract hit. I'm looking at BRef and it lists Braun at 20mil the next 3 seasons. But he has 4million deferred making it just 16mil. So is BRef correct on 20million the hit on a Team's payroll, even though you have 4million deferred? Or does a team only receive 16million hit on their salary and then the 2million for 9years 2022-2031?

Cots has Braun's salary reduced on his signing bonus to 19,19,19,18, and 16. And then makes the declaration of the 18mil deferred 4,4,4,3 and 3.

So how does MLB assess the Payroll implications? Is it 19million hit against what a team's salary is for 2017? Or 15million since 4mil is deferred? Would seem unfair to me if they said it's 19million when only 15million is paid out for the season? And not to implicate 2million for the 9seasons against a team for it's deferred payments.

No, his salary is 19,19,19,18, and 16. That amount is reduced by $4M each in 2016-18 and $3M each in 2019-20. So it will be 15,15,15,15, and 13. It was a 5/$105m contract with a $10m signing bonus and a $4m buyout. It comes to a 5/$91m contract with a bonus and a buyout.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lol. The Milwaukee Brewers already traded Jed Bradley to the Atlanta Braves for "cash". Without knowing the amount, I'm still not willing to trade said amount of "cash" for Yasiel Puig.

Look two posts above yours and you'll see my admission of error.

No, his salary is 19,19,19,18, and 16. That amount is reduced by $4M each in 2016-18 and $3M each in 2019-20. So it will be 15,15,15,15, and 13. It was a 5/$105m contract with a $10m signing bonus and a $4m buyout. It comes to a 5/$91m contract with a bonus and a buyout.

But what is committed against a team's payroll for 2017-2021?

Dodgers trade for him. Currently BRef has them as an estimated 208million Payroll. for next season.

Not removing any player on that projection but adding Braun. Does the estimate become 227million? Or 223million? Or is it even 228million because 20million was to be his original salary w/o the signing bonus?

2017 - 15, 2018 - 15, 2019 - 15, 2020 - 13, then either $4m buyout or $15m mutual option in 2021. It's all right there and has been since the contract was signed.

Ryan Braun lf

5 years/$105M (2016-20), plus 2021 mutual option

5 years/$105M (2016-20), plus 2021 option

signed extension with Milwaukee 4/21/11

$10M signing bonus (paid in 4 equal installments each April 1 from 2012 to 2015)

16:$19M, 17:$19M, 18:$19M, 19:$18M, 20:$16M, 21:$15M mutual option ($4M buyout)

price of option may increase to $20M based on MVP, Silver Slugger, Gold Glove awards (if earned, award escalators are deferred without interest)

$18M in salary ($4M each in 2016-18 and $3M each in 2019-20) deferred without interest, to be paid in equal installments each July 1 from 2022 to 2031

no-trade protection allowing Braun to block deals to all but six clubs, including as of 2016 Arizona, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, San Diego and San Francisco (as of 2015 list included all clubs except LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, Tampa Bay and Washington)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Maybe take Puig in a Pirates type trade where they give us a prospect/s to take him off their hands? Like we trade them Rijo for Puig plus a top 5 prospect?

Other than that he is pretty worthless to Milwaukee.

Puig is a worthless gamble because our offense has been red hot? I admit, his posts the past two nights are not appropriate but at least he would be a middle of the order bat. The Gennett-Perez four hitter is a train wreck. If the Dodgers, who want to cut ties, pick up the salary and he fails, release him. If he pans out, however, he could be a four hitter and a league average outfielders the next 2.5 seasons (above average speed, cannon arm, dumb mistakes equal average). He would also put butts in the seats. Welcome to 10,000 per game in September as the Brewers get to twenty games under .500. For a pathetic offense he is worth the risk.

• 3 weeks later...

A mystery team has claimed Puig. Only things known right now are that it's not the Braves or Marlins.

If it's not the Braves, only the Reds, Padres, and Diamondbacks would have priority over us. Any chance the mystery team is us?

Archived