Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers Proposal

Totally outside of the box but the Dodgers get LuCroy. The Brewers get Puig, Barnes and a pitcher not named DeLeon or Urias. Too much or too little for LuCroy? Definitely helps Milwaukee's outfield issues and I think Puig would be better served outside of a big market.

If we had a spot for Puig? The Santana, Broxton, Flores, Perez, Nieuwenhuis, Presley, Phillips, Liriano experiment has been going so well. lol I am more excited about Milwaukee bringing back an OF rather than a SP. Puig is the ideal buy low candidate.

Santana has been injured and Puig doesn't play CF. So no spot for him. I'm not giving up on Santana.

Amen. Being in SoCal, I would imagine I see him play and hear way more than you guys do. He is a cancer and pretty much an idiot. Adrian Gonzalez tried to take him under his wing and teach him about being a professional but that apparently didn't stick. Honestly, I would trade Carlos Torres for him straight up with the idea of flipping him but not much more.

Given that it seems the Dodgers will do just about anything to be rid of the guy, I'd roll the dice. That's pretty much where the Astros were with Villar last year (though obviously the headaches with Puig are more extreme. ) Like Stearns has said, young, controllable talent. That can be at many levels, including MLB.

To me it's exactly the kind of risk that comes with very little downside. So if he doesn't work out, he plays out 2 years for 14M and we non tender him. If he does, it's lightning in a bottle.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up anything of real value. Maybe Jungmann or some lottery ticket. But I think it's the exact kind of outside the box move we should be looking at doing.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery and can thrive again in Milwaukee without the spotlight on him so much. Or maybe he's a head case whose attitude will run him right out of this league. I really don't know. But given that he's 25, and not long ago was considered one of the best young talents in the game, and the Dodgers are looking to basically give him away, it sure seems like a good risk to me.

Not sure I'd give up Jungmann for him (I still believe), but I wouldn't mind seeing if we could get him for a Clint coulter or something. Santana can't stay healthy and Puig has had success, could be worth the gamble.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Puig? Umm no thanks. If you are picking up his salary you could probably have him for nothing. No space for him. Santana will be back and Brinson will be in CF before you know it.

I think at this point of the rebuild, talent acquisition is all that matters - or at least, the most important thing.

I don't think you can have too much talent at any position. While I'm not giving up on Santana, we now have pretty major injury concerns at both corners. Braun, the other, could see himself traded or over at 1st. Things never seem to work out exactly the way they're planned on paper.

Puig is a complete douche (Grienke even threw his stuff off the team bus) and has been getting worse every year, which probably has something to do with uncoachability. Having Puig around the team would probably have more bad than good effects, and corner OF is taken already

Yeah I mean, the front office would know better than us, but if you think Puig is a total cancer that would be detrimental to the development and performance of those around him, you have to stay away from him.

But if he's a guy you think that the character concerns are overblown and we can keep him in check, the talent would make him a great buy low candidate.

I still think a three-way between MKE, LAD, and ATL is a distinct possibility. ATL has nothing for OF in the majors or high minors; I've said this before but prior to the Kemp acquisition Nieuwenhuis had a higher OPS than anyone who played OF for the Braves this year and is younger than all but two. If there is a team who will take a flyer on Puig it is ATL.

Where MKE comes into play is that dealing Puig allows them to clear some salary to take Braun, and LAD has the prospects to pay what Braun is worth as well as the revenue to not care much about his salary. MKE sends Braun to LAD, LAD sends prospects to MKE and Puig to ATL, ATL sends PTBNL to MKE depending on Puig's performance/attitude the first couple of months of the season since they have six months to name one. Deal gets done in January, have to July to evaluate Puig and the PTBNL.

MKE gets a good haul of prospects from LAD because of Braun's value and for taking Puig off their hands.

Unless someone can help him regain his bat speed to turn on inside pitches and I'm not sure how you teach that, he shouldn't be a target. His five lowest exit velocities are off the plate inside and on the inner third of the plate. Basically, if you crowd him in, he's not hitting it hard.

Not Jungmann. The most I'd trade for Puig is Jed Bradley or someone who's performed similarly poorly (not otherwise of his draft pick level or the equivalent caliber of talent -- well, okay, I'd give 'em the silhouette of Chad Green or J.M. Gold).

The most I'd trade for Puig is Jed Bradley

I think you'll find that to be quite impossible.

Not if he plans to trade for him back again first.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A prevailing theme is that many at least within this thread wouldn't want to give up anything of real value for Puig.

Someone suggested Taylor Jungmann and was quickly rebuffed. I'd agree that I wouldn't want to give up Jungmann, either.

Well, if the Brewers don't want Puig -- at least not when he's far, far more of a headache than of anywhere on the positive side of "mercurial" -- then a player of Jed Bradley's caliber is about what you'd offer to signify that level of interest.

The most I'd trade for Puig is Jed Bradley

I think you'll find that to be quite impossible.

Not exactly - if there was a 3-teamer between MKE, LAD, and ATL, ATL could send Bradley back to the Brewers as part of the package making it an indirect Bradley for Puig swap. :)

Archived