Brewer Fanatic

Cashner, Rea, Guerrero to Miami; Naylor, Castillo, Cosart, Capps to SD; Update-Rea, Castillo returned to original teams

miggs721

Jeez everyone is getting top 100 guys back.

Will there be any left by the time Stearns wants to pull the trigger?

Yeah, it'd be nice if the Lucroy trade could get completed so Stearns can focus on trading his relievers before the teams willing to give up Top 100 guys for relievers dries up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The nice thing about Jeffress, Smith, and Thornburg is that they are all controlled through 2019. Assuming none of them implodes and they're all healthy at the end of the season, I don't think their value diminishes too much in the offseason, or maybe even into next year.

True, but there's no guarantee of the same type of reliever market in the offseason or next deadline. I would expect relievers to have considerably less value in the offseason than they have right now.

I don't think their value diminishes too much in the offseason

As long as reliever value remains at an all-time high and prospect value remains at an all-time low. Their value relative to other relievers won't change, but their value relative to prospects may. Probably best to strike when we know the market is in our favor.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My point was more, if Stearns mistimes this and isn't able to get the same type of return that other have gotten for their relievers, his trade-able relievers will still have the same value even if the market dictates a diminished return.

It's not that if he doesn't trade them now, he won't be able to get anything for them later. As could be the case for Torres.

And it's possible that the market for relievers won't change that much in the near term.

Carter Capps is also a nice piece to this deal and a MAJOR OVERPAY for 2 mediocre SP by the desperate Marlins.

I guess they want to "go for it" before Jose Fernandez hits FA.

Jeez everyone is getting top 100 guys back.

Will there be any left by the time Stearns wants to pull the trigger?

I dont know. I wonder what a package of Anderson and Junior would have gotten from Miami?

Carter Capps is also a nice piece to this deal and a MAJOR OVERPAY for 2 mediocre SP by the desperate Marlins.

I guess they want to "go for it" before Jose Fernandez hits FA.

Teams overpay for pitching at nearly every trade deadline.

I'd love to see the Marlins win another World Series just to drive insane all the people who don't like how they operate. I'm not advocating how they're run but they've had more post season success than all the other "model franchises" like the Pirates, Athletics, Rays, and Cubs.

I'd love to see the Marlins win another World Series just to drive insane all the people who don't like how they operate. I'm not advocating how they're run but they've had more post season success than all the other "model franchises" like the Pirates, Athletics, Rays, and Cubs.

Fair point. Be kind of funny to do it again and turn the baseball world upside down. Suck til you don't might be the new way if that happens.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I would expect relievers to have considerably less value in the offseason than they have right now.

Could be, but look at what Kimbrel netted the Padres in the middle of last November.

Predicting the future of the market is, in general, a fool's errand.

Craig Kimbrel was arguably the best relief pitcher over 3-4 years before that trade happened. You can always find someone to overpay for a guy like Kimbrel. Why? Because no matter the time of year he is the best available and the only one available. Smith/Jeffress are nothing special. There are many of them around the league and in the offseason I could probably find 15+ available for trade.

You cannot compare the packages Chapman and Kimbrel got. They are miles better than what we are offering.

Wasn't comparing Kimbrel to Smith or Jeffress. Merely responding to the idea that relievers, as a whole, have less value in the offseason. Which seems not to be true. Yikes.

And I don't think you can use Kimbrel as an example. That's like saying Lucroy won't be traded because starting catchers aren't traded midseason. However as we know Lucroy is about to break that rule. As a whole though one could probably agree catchers are not commonly traded midseason.

In this situation I would probably agree relievers have less value in the offseason unless you are a very special player. I don't know many examples, but maybe being a controllable reliever changes that?

The value of relievers has been rising for a while now and it doesn't have squat to do with the time of year. KC showed that three great relievers can overcome a pedestrian starting rotation. Now everybody wants a great bullpen. I doubt that trend is going to stop in the middle of this season.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Again, not talking about "commonly" - that's not what the poster I was responding to said. He did not qualify it by saying "some" or "most", it was a blanket statement. Absolutes and generalities usually don't make strong arguments.

I agree that often relievers probably have less value in the offseason, though I also said it's possible that the value of Smith/Jeffress/Thornburg may well not be any different a year from now than it is today. The Brewers should get the best value for those guys when they can, whether that is today, tomorrow, 4 months from now, or a year from now.

Archived