Brewer Fanatic

Who the heck is Aaron Myers?

UMBrewer

So I was scanning through fangraphs' minor league numbers, and looking at the Brewer affiliates to see who I should be excited about at each level, and at the first turn came across something VERY interesting:

When I clicked on pitching for Helena, and advanced statistics, the name Aaron Myers comes up, and he has a 1.35 FIP. First inclination is to find out when he was drafted, where he played, etc, until I notice that he is 40 years old! He has pitched 4.2 innings this year, and not only that, he has played with the team now for 2 years. He was promoted from the Arizona Brewers at some point this year after having played for Arizona last year and having nice results. Obviously he isn't a "prospect" or someone to be excited about.

I mean its one thing to have a guy way down there on the back field leagues who can just do the job when needed, or have an arm that is attached to his body, but to stick with the team for 2 years now, AND get a promotion? Was there a point this year where Tom Flanagan was perusing his affiliate reports, and said "Holy Hell! Get this guy promoted, we need to aggressively push him through our Farm System"?

This is a Saber Convention type of story that has to be quite interesting to learn. Has anyone heard anything about this guy?

MILB.com has his birthday as 9-2-1993, 22 years old going on 23.

Still, I don't understand why he repeated Arizona Rookie League ball since, in a very small sample, he did very well in 2015 and is 22 years old.

There are any number of reasons he repeated in Maryvale to begin the season - maybe they thought he could get more work in there. Or he was working on a new arm slot, or he was injured earlier this summer, etc.

Anyway, here's an article from when he signed:

http://www.therotundaonline.com/sports/myers-joins-milwaukee-brewers-post-mlb-draft-an-interview-with/article_a76748ec-2280-11e5-8f65-5306eb072156.html

Degree in Physics!

Edit: Here's another, a little more scouting info: http://longwoodlancers.com/news/2014/5/13/BB_0513140001.aspx

Five years ago he was throwing in the low 90's with a good curveball: http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=240969

Very nice, so it must be an input error that Fangraphs lists him as 40 years old.

This was exactly the type of guy I used to go bird dogging for organizations back in the 90's. Not on anyones follow list, blowing people away with brains rather than stuff, smart nice kids who is a great organization piece, and you get a check when they sign him.

Archived