Brewer Fanatic

Catchers who WOAH SOLVDD nothing (worst catchers)

Funketown
I think a more fun topic would be worst catcher.

Robinson Cancel

Pat Borders

Raul Casanova

Jorge Fabregas

Keith Osik

Blake Lalli

So as to not derail the other thread.

Chad Moeller: 669 PA's, .204/.257/.319 + bonus points for hitting for a cycle and keeping his name alive

John Felske: Continuing the Ichiro debate, what's less awesome: Somebody like Moeller who accumulates -WAR over a long time, or somebody like Felske who managed an impressive -0.5 WAR in just 113 PA's of .137/.205/.216 batting?

Gary Bennett: I guess somebody needed to back up starting catcher/cycle hero Chad Moeller.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions.

1-Does Dave Nilson count as a catcher? Dude could have hit like Bonds and it still might not make up for his defense.

2- Is counting what he did as a manager count with Yost or is it only what he did as catcher? I'm asking just to get the ground rules set.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Also a relevant question, does Matheny automatically get .100 OPS points deducted automatically due to his current job?

If we're compiling a list of "worst" catchers, depending on the criteria, Matheny could/should be on that list. He may have been ok/good defensively, but he had no business getting 300+ plate apperances per year in the offense-heavy decade like the 90's.

If we're compiling a list of "worst" catchers, depending on the criteria, Matheny could/should be on that list. He may have been ok/good defensively, but he had no business getting 300+ plate apperances per year in the offense-heavy decade like the 90's.

Had to look at the stats, but Matheny really was Henry Blanco -tier bad with the bat, wasn't he?

How soon we forget Johnny Estrada. I guess the numbers say that he wasn't the worst, but his defense and lack of hustle took away any value his bat had.

I'll never forget this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200709030.shtml

That 2007 season was a fun one for sure.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'll second Ponch Estrada. Also throw in Paul Bako and Henry Blanco (who could at least play good defense).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Two questions.

1-Does Dave Nilson count as a catcher? Dude could have hit like Bonds and it still might not make up for his defense.

2- Is counting what he did as a manager count with Yost or is it only what he did as catcher? I'm asking just to get the ground rules set.

I never watched Nilson, but based on my completely scientific methodology, perhaps a coin should be flipped. I'll forgive Yost...this other guy though...

Also a relevant question, does Matheny automatically get .100 OPS points deducted automatically due to his current job?

Yes, which qualifies him for this list!

How soon we forget Johnny Estrada. I guess the numbers say that he wasn't the worst, but his defense and lack of hustle took away any value his bat had.

I'll never forget this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200709030.shtml

I see he allowed a passed ball and 3 wild pitches. Is there something else I'm missing there?

I see he allowed a passed ball and 3 wild pitches. Is there something else I'm missing there?

He scored from first on a Craig Counsell triple, on what might be my favorite Brian Anderson call ever.

Sadly, I can't seem to find a link to the video.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived