Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 7/27

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wilkerson pitches well in loss to Sounds

Andy Reed, LebanonDemocrat.com (TN)

NASHVILLE — While Aaron Wilkerson is trying to show the Milwaukee Brewers brass he’s worthy of a call-up, the former Cumberland pitcher could sue his Colorado Springs hitters for lack of run support.

The Sky Sox have scored a total of one run during the 18 1/3 innings he has pitched for them since being acquired from the Boston Red Sox earlier this month, including six innings-plus in a 2-0 loss to the Nashville Sounds in a Wednesday matinee at a hot-and-steamy First Tennessee Park.

To be sure, his two outings before Wednesday weren’t particularly stellar as he allowed 11 earned runs in 8 1/3 innings.

But with Woody Hunt and several of his former Cumberland coaches, staff and friends looking on from the shade of the upper lower level of the first-base stands, the former NAIA All-American put on the type of show Hunt, pitching coach Kevin Hite, announcer Mitch Walters and others were used to seeing from the Texan during his time on Cumberland Square in 2010-11.

He allowed three singles and no walks while striking out six.

“I had a good mix today - fastball, curveball, changeup, they were all working for me,” Wilkerson said. “I felt comfortable throwing any pitch on any count, keeping the hitters off balance.”

After retiring the first nine Sounds in order, he gave up a quiet run in the fourth when leadoff batter Billy Burns singled to center, stole second and finished the trip around the bases on a groundout and sacrifice fly to center.

Jaycob Brugman and Renato Nunez singled to open the Sounds seventh, prompting Sky Sox manager Rick Sweet to end his day after 91 pitches, including 66 strikes. Brugman ended up scoring a run.

Wilkerson fell to 0-3 with a 6.38 earned-run average since coming to the Pacific Coast League.

Before the game, Wilkerson met with his college coaches outside the Sky Sox dugout.

“It’s always a good thing to see familiar faces and having the support base anywhere I go,” Wilkerson said.

Wilkerson enjoyed a 2.44 ERA with a 4-2 record in nine outings with Pawtucket before the trade. Historically, the PCL is considered more of an offensive league with many of its teams located in the higher altitude and dryer air of the West while Pawtucket plays in the Eastern Time Zone-based International League. But he doesn’t necessarily agree with the stereotype.

“There are a lot of similarities and a few differences,” Wilkerson said. “Here it’s more of a contact league than a powerhouse league. There are still guys who have the power here. It’s a little different style of play here. You get more bunts here, more strategy here.”

Wilkerson’s numbers at Pawtucket had many in the Boston media salivating at the thought of Wilkerson trying his hand at Fenway Park. In fact, one Beantown scribe reported, and was repeated by others (including this outlet) he was on his way to Boston. But the Red Sox chose journeyman Sean O’Sullivan instead.

“It’s out of my hands, it’s not anything I can control,” Wilkerson said. “I can only control what’s on the field.

“For me to put myself in that kind of situation, that makes me feel pretty good about it.”

For now, Wilkerson is focused on the daily grind and hope it’s enough for a September call-up when major-league rosters are expanded from 25 to as many as 40 players (though teams rarely call up that many).

“It’s everybody’s goal here is to make it up,” Wilkerson said. “It’s one of those things that are on your mind, but you don’t really think about it too much. Kind of take it day to day and make sure you produce on the field.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, completion of suspended game: Helena 6, Ogden 5

Final, regularly scheduled game: Ogden 10, Helena 5

Three photos at the link

Brewers split with Ogden; win series

Ryan Collingwood, Helena Independent Record

The Helena Brewers don't boast the most aesthetically pleasant overall record.

But, at the conclusion of the first half of Pioneer League play, the Brewers (15-23) have been efficient at home, losing just one in five home swings.

A split against the Ogden Raptors in a Wednesday doubleheader -- a 6-5 win followed by a 10-4 loss -- at Kindrick Legion Field improved the Brewers' home record to 11-8.

Resuming a Tuesday night game which was suspended after the second inning because of rain, the Brewers, who jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first inning, held off the Raptors.

Ogden (17-21) then shelled Helena to the tune of 12 hits in the nightcap to avoid being swept in the three-game series.

Joantgel Segovia went 4 for 4 in Game 1, including the go-ahead RBI single after the Raptors used a three-run sixth inning to knot the game at 5-5.

Caleb Whalen, who scored the go-ahead run, was 2 for 3 in the series-clinching win.

Brewers ace Jordan Desguin came in for relief duty and earned the win despite having his worst outing of the season.

Desguin went four innings, giving up five runs and five hits while walking three and striking out three.

Wes Wilson kept his recent hitting surge intact, hitting a RBI triple.

"We've had our hitting coordinator come in and talk to us about what our strengths are and what our weaknesses are," said Wilson, a former Clemson standout. "You want to work on those things, and also, in certain counts, what pitches you're hitting better than others. It's really helped."

Helena Game One Box Score

Thank goodness for that five-run 1st on Tuesday before the storm; impressive save for RHP Aaron Myers...

Helena Game One Game Log

In the nightcap, Ogden pitchers Rob McDonnell, Johan Diaz and Jose Santos held the Brewers to just four combined hits. Diaz, who gave up one run and two hits in 2 1/3 innings, earned the win.

Ogden home runs in the first and second inning by Cody Thomas and Keibert Ruiz boosted Los Angeles Dodgers' rookie affiliate.

Nathan Rodriguez homered for the Brewers in the second inning and finished the night 2 for 3.

The Brewers have won four of their last seven, and hope to take that momentum into the second half, which begins Thursday in a three-game series at Missoula.

"The way we finished the first half gives us hope we can be strong in the second," manager Nestor Corredor said.

"I feel like we're going to keep swinging the bat and do some damage in the second half," Wilson added.

BREWERS TRIO NAMED TO ALL-STAR TEAM

Brewers pitchers Jordan Desguin, Colton Cross and Nash Walters were named to the Pioneer League All-Star team, which takes on the Northwest League All-Star team Tuesday, Aug. 2 in Ogden, Utah.

Desguin leads the Brewers in ERA (3.60), WHIP (1.13) and strikeouts (40). Cross (2.03 ERA) leads the Brewers in saves (3).

Helena Game Two Box Score

Nothing personal, but RHP Nash Walters has only made four Helena appearances, in which he's walked 19 in 12.2 innings, and he nets an All-Star nod? Six of those walks came in this game, before the vote, but still...

Helena Game Two Game Log

SS Gilbert Lara returned to action here.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Angels 9, Arizona Brewers 1

Maryvale Box Score

Rehab progress for RHP Javier Salas, three scoreless innings; two graduates of the DSL program, RHP Nelson Hernandez and LHP Boanerges Nova, were blasted for a combined 11 hits, four walks, an HBP and nine runs in just three innings.

Maryvale Game Log

Weather: 109 degrees, partly cloudy.

Wind: 8 mph, L to R.

Has to be the best outing ever for Jungmann. 8 innings, only 99 pitches, just two walks. Confidence is very underrated as a pitcher, and hopefully this gets him back on the right track.

I keep forgetting that this is only Wren's fourth year of pro ball (technically only has a little over three full years under his belt). There are reasons to doubt this year's performance, but he was moved though the system quickly and was in AA in his first full year of pro ball. At 25 he's not old by any stretch; maybe he's making the adjustments and the OBP was there last year in AA too. He needs to spend the offseason building strength, but I think it's time to give him a shot.

Archived