Brewer Fanatic

Is next year "The Year"?

we still have a lot of young guys who are going to get more consistent as they reach their prime years.

I hear it used a lot by baseball fans but what does it mean to have a player who's consistent and why do people assume vets are more consistent? Average performance, spread of day to day performance?

I just think our young players will get better.

Consistent now means good. REally Bill was on the radio saying Syuppan needs to get more consistant. No Bill Suppan has been consistant, he been consitantly bad for 6 weeks. He needs to pitch better not at the same level.

My theory is that people say "consistent" because the players are still having some good AB / starts but just have too many mediocre or bad ones. The better you are, the more "good" performances you'll have and the more consistent you'll appear?

Young players / teams have a tendency to get better but their spread of performances from day to day probably isn't any different than a vet. Just my gut feeling, at least.

I dunno, in my informal studies done for fantasy purposes most players seem to K more, BB less and not be as good at situational hitting when they first get into the league. You could call improving these things just getting better and it would make sense to me as well. They also have more problems dealing with a slump as it seems more common for a rookie to just fall off a cliff than it is for a more established player.

Call it what you want but I expect the youth on this team to be better in the next few years than they are now and since thats the backbone of the team I expect the best years to be in a couple years.

This year is "the year?" Why? Because I've waited patiently for 15 years to say that with a straight face. Calling next year "the year" is a Cubs tradition.

So, this this is the year because you want it to be? Why didn't we think of that 25 years ago! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I dunno, in my informal studies done for fantasy purposes most players seem to K more, BB less and not be as good at situational hitting when they first get into the league.

They k less, walk more and hit for more power as they age:

LINK

Not sure about the situational hitting part, although it certainly sounds reasonable. According to that linked table, a player's BA has a tendency to get lower every year after their rookie year, on average, however.

They also have more problems dealing with a slump as it seems more common for a rookie to just fall off a cliff than it is for a more established player.

I've always heard that rookie hitters have the tendency to fade at the end of the year (not being used to the long season is the general theory) but I wonder if there's any truth to it. The problem is, they haven't really established an expected level of performance to begin with. If Braun doesn't continue hitting at a 1.000 OPS level, some might say he faded, I would say that he probably was just coming back down to reality.

Was 2001 "The Year" for the Mariners?

I'm just trying to enjoy the ride. The Crew could win the pennant or even the Series this season and then the organization could field a 'better' team every year after this until 2010 and never post the same results.

I think the Brewers will very probably get better in an 'on paper' sense in the coming years, but as anyone who has followed the Packers for the past 15 years can attest, that doesn't mean it will be any more satisfying to watch them.

Well if we want a chance to win it all this year, the following things must occur:

1) The Cubs must come back to earth so we can still win the division.

2) Bill Hall makes a complete recovery from his ankle injury

3) Weeks starts hitting

4) Cappy and Suppan pitch like they are supposed to

If those 4 things don't happen, our WS odds go way down.

Tuesdays, I'd say the most important item is #1. Outside of that, I think the team will be OK if three of the four things you listed happen. (With Villanueva and Gallardo around, we might be OK with an "either/or" on Capuano/Suppan.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bill Hall makes a complete recovery from his ankle injury

Good news that I didn't see posted anywhere else. It's not a high ankle sprain like was first report, and he hopes to return very, very soon.

www.jsonline.com/story/in...?id=632277

"That's how I feel. Obviously I'm not going to make any promises. There can always be setbacks with injuries like this. I could go out and start running and tweak it again. But I feel good. I feel like I can return in two weeks."

Hall said tests showed there was no "high" sprain but rather a sprain on the inside of the ankle and a minor sprain on the outside.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Good news that I didn't see posted anywhere else. It's not a high ankle sprain like was first report, and he hopes to return very, very soon.

I heard on the radio this morning that he was already walking on it, which was a happy surprise. Still, I won't mind if he's out a little longer than the minimum DL stint. I'd just like to be sure he's healed.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived