Brewer Fanatic

Is next year "The Year"?

If anyone told me that the Brewers would be 10 games over 500 at the all star break, I would have jumped for joy. It has been a very good year so far, but I am going to argue that we have a much better shot at being a contender next year because of several factors:

- Weeks will be fully recovered from wrist surgery and start to live up to his hype

- Gallardo and Villanueva will be in the rotation and we won't have to worry about innings limits.

- The young guys like Braun, Fielder, Hart, and Hardy will become more established hitters with this year's experience under their belt

The only downfall to next year is that we won't have Cordero, so all we have to do is find a closer and 2008 could be "The Year"

We may also have more injuries than this year. Other teams may get better. Some of our players may not play as well as this year. This team will be good for years to come for all the reasons you stated. I'd just hate to look at next year as being "the" year when we have a team good enough to be winning for several. There is as much reason to believe this is "the" year than any of the next 4 or 5. Which is why it's important not to overlook winning it all this year. We may wait forever to have "the" year only to find out 07 was as good as it got. Enjoy the moment because the future is promised to no one.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote:
- Gallardo and Villanueva will be in the rotation and we won't have to worry about innings limits.

Is that really true? According to the rule, you can only up them 25 innings per year, correct? Anyone know where that would place them next year?

I do think the team will shape up very well next year. Braun won't begin the season in AAA, Gallardo won't begin the season in AAA, Hall won't be learning a new position, Weeks should be in better shape....

"Youneverknow" is the most accurate baseball term ever, NOW is always the time, but I do think the 08 team will be well positioned.

I am going to argue that we have a much better shot at being a contender next year
I have to nitpick that verbiage because the Brewers are contenders right now. I'll also nitpick and say Frankie may or may not be here.

Backupcatchers makes lots of good points. Like most, I think this team is set up to be good for several years, and may continue beyond that if management keeps building properly.

But there can always be unexpected bumps in the road, and you have to expect other teams to improve. But if there is a disappointing year, I'd say the Brewers are built to bounce back like the Indians have this year.

Chio151, using a very rough estimate, Yo and Villanueva should be good for 210 or so innings next year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

On paper, the Brewers should be sitting in a pretty good position for next year. However, there are lots of variables that come into play every season. For one thing, the Brewers have been very lucky with injuries this year, particularly in regards to the rotation. I doubt that will happen again next year - heck, there is a lot of season left this year for something to happen.

The bottom line IMO is, this is the year. If you plan on next year being better, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Win now. And, with the trade deadline coming, I think / hope Melvin is feeling the same way.

Quote:
The bottom line IMO is, this is the year. If you plan on next year being better, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well. I was adamant on here before the season started, that I was tired of hearing "Well, this year will be a growth year, next year is THE YEAR." We've heard that talk for the last two or three seasons, at least. The season has overall gone very well for the Brewers so far, and they've had few injuries. The NL Central title is theirs to lose at this point. There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to make the playoffs in 2007. Enough with the excuses, it's time to win.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I guess I just think the youth of this team is going to catch up with them at some point this season. Hopefully that happens after we make the playoffs so we have something to show for this year. If we get hot at the right time, it could be our year, but I think we stack up better talent wise next year.

It has been a very good year so far, but I am going to argue that we have a much better shot at being a contender next year because of several factors

I think the Brewers will probably have more overall talent next year but I also think that the second best team in the NL next year won't be only 1 game over .500. The Brewers have about an 80% shot at making the playoffs right now. I think they'd be hard pressed to have a greater chance at the post season going into the 2008 season. I'm not sure if any team would.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well. I was adamant on here before the season started, that I was tired of hearing "Well, this year will be a growth year,

We all are but that doesn't mean it's not necessarily true, nor does it really address the question posed in this thread. As a fan, I want every year to be "the year". A GM can't think that way, however.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the goal is just to make the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, anything can happen. Having the best record in baseball this year doesn't mean they will win the World Series. That's why teams need to be careful sacrificing this year for next.

The only way to really increase the teams chances of winning a World Series is to make the playoffs as many years as possible.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

A couple of observations:

Young teams tend to get better and the Brewers most important talent outside of Sheets all has more upside potential then downside next year and for a while afterwards.

As others have pointed out we stand to get a lot more performance out of big difference makers on top of any other improvements in individuals performance

The only argument I have about the postseason is that there is a small benefit to being a top heavy team in the short series. Since you have more off days there does seem to be a small systematic benefit to teams designed to revolve around a handful of dominant pitchers and coast through the roster filler instead of having many moderately above average performers.

I have a buddy at work who always says that this team doesn't remind him of the 82 team--it reminds him of the 78 team. I was born in 78 so I can't really add much to that conversation.

But the point is, the pieces are in place for a good run. Many things have to go right but it's nice to know that I can talk about the Brewers contending for the Central without laughter for the next several years.

I guess that's a long way of saying "The First Year"...but I digress.

Hall4President, earlier in the season, I'd counter 1982 comparisons by saying the same thing: this year's team probably better parallels the 1978 team.

Lately, I've been thinking that 1987 (Team Streak) is the better comparison.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This team certainly does not compare to the '82 team, and is much more like either '78 or '87.

The '82 team was stocked with veteran stars, and was expected to compete for the World Series from the day Spring Training opened.

In both '78 and '87, the team hadn't won for a while (it never had when the '78 season began), there were some solid holdover vets on both teams, but lots of young talent as well. Both of these teams played exciting baseball, but fell short in an era where only two teams in each league reached the playoffs.

I expect a win total in the low 90s, and a playoff berth, as would have been the case in both '78 and '87, if the current format had existed at those times.

This teams best season will likely be 2009 or 2010 and my money is on them being better next year than this year. Doesn't mean we aren't contenders this season its just that we still have a lot of young guys who are going to get more consistent as they reach their prime years.

I thought this year would be a growth year. We had several new players or players coming back from injury. Many , many question marks. At this point I don't think it is playoffs or bust, but close.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived