Brewer Fanatic

Jake Gatewood - 1B

Trust me I get the idea that this is a small sample size and all that but have you noticed Gatewood's offensive numbers while playing 1b?

5 games: .381/.435/.714 (only 2 K's in 23 PA)

As he spends more time at 1b instead of 3B it will be interesting to see if his offense continues to be stellar. Could very well be a case of the pressure of fielding affecting the bat. Given how many errors he had at 3b this year it would be hard not to have that affect you. I am sure Nottingham is feeling the same pressure in AA for the same reason.

I admit it'll be interesting to see how he finishes the season at 1b from an offensive standpoint. I personally have never liked Gatewood and still don't understand the love for his supposed projectability. If anything Nottingham most likely end up at 1b over him as his bat projects to be better overall

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I posted this in the link report yesterday, but I'll add it here since it's appropriate:

I was told by a baseball writer that Gatewood is one of the most coachable guys in the Brewers system. He works hard, listens to what he's being taught, experiments and implements with his approach as agreed upon with the coaching staff. Everything you expect and more.

The last couple of years have been a lot of adjustments for Jake, and he's just the kind of guy that needs some patience. He's going to have some rough patches as he makes tweaks, adjusts to new positions, etc. But he said Gatewood is the kind of kid who has a chance because he works so hard and does have some really good skills.

If it all translates into being a major leaguer, who knows. But at least Gatewood doesn't sound like a kid squandering his opportunity.

I posted this in the link report yesterday, but I'll add it here since it's appropriate:

I was told by a baseball writer that Gatewood is one of the most coachable guys in the Brewers system. He works hard, listens to what he's being taught, experiments and implements with his approach as agreed upon with the coaching staff. Everything you expect and more.

The last couple of years have been a lot of adjustments for Jake, and he's just the kind of guy that needs some patience. He's going to have some rough patches as he makes tweaks, adjusts to new positions, etc. But he said Gatewood is the kind of kid who has a chance because he works so hard and does have some really good skills.

If it all translates into being a major leaguer, who knows. But at least Gatewood doesn't sound like a kid squandering his opportunity.

It sounds simplistic, but this is crucial---good coaching. I heard Brian Bannister talk one time about how when he was with the Royals the amount of time devoted to teaching prospects correlated to their draft selection and/or signing bonus. How his best pitch, by the time his career was over, his changeup was something he learned from a teammate once he had already made it to the big leagues. I think he said the teammate was Ramon Ramirez. Ramirez taught Bannister to throw his changeup with a different grip & throw it as hard as he could, which Brian said was something no one had ever told him throughout his minor league development.

He also talked about the importance of makeup and said he doesn't think he would of made it to the big leagues without it. So, hearing that Gatewood has the right makeup is really, really nice to hear. I like what the Brewers have done the past few years with paying over-slot for signing bonuses on high risk/high talent prospects & picking up some international talent too. The small market teams that do it right, like the Rays, they have not only an exceptional scouting department, but an outstanding coaching/developmental staff throughout their system. That's the type of investing the Brewers can afford. An extra $500k to a signing bonus. A $1.5 mil signing bonus for a top international prospect. Heck, invest $5 mil to boost the scouting department, add scouts, steal top scouts away from other organizations. Do the same thing for the developmental side. I think that's even more important. Drop $10 mil there. I'd much, much, MUCH rather do that than wait around all off-season for a starting pitcher & drop $33 mil in Kyle Lohse's lap once all of the top level free agents pass us over.

I have hopes for Gatewood. I recall the run up to the draft, and he was considered a total baseball junkie. He loves the game. His dad played minor league ball, and he has great desire.

I think his stats this year are demonstrating progress. Is he a prodigy? No, he hasn't shown that, but he is a tall kid with a frame to get bigger and he had shortstop athleticism before he fills out. So, you'd expect a long swing and room for improvement. Like most minor leaguers, I wouldn't classify him in the sure bet category but it's not going to surprise me if he turns it on in a couple of years. Look at Ronald Guzman in the Texas system. He has really improved after being nondescript for a couple of years after being a high profile, bonus baby int'l signee. I hope Gatewood can mature similarly.

Gatewood will be a late bloomer. I think he is the type guy who will hit 26-27 years old in the MLB level and then just explode. All the tools have always been there. For a long time he was considered a top 5-10 lock. The holes in his swing scared teams off and he landed to us. There are players who have all the tools in the world but can not be coached due to ego... those are the guys who will fail. A guy with the tools plus an amazing work ethic/ is coachable....they usually will click.

We have to remember, he is 20 and people have been very critical of him. I wanted him at #12 so I have always been a big supporter or his. With BC hopefully our A+ team won't be a place for young hitters to die anymore.

Defensive..... I think he will be outstanding. If you have watched him, he really wasn't that bad at SS or 3B. Had a lot of errors but not many 18-20 don't at those positions.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Gatewood reminds me of a less polished Corey Hart. Gatewood is tall and real skinny, and when he hits the ball he hits it hard. Like Hart when he slumped, Gatewood has a tendency to have too long of a swing. I think he can overcome that. I really like his potential. I also like him in the field at 3rd. I think putting him at 1st could work. This also says that we must really like Erceg.

Archived