Brewer Fanatic

Melvin Upton to Blue Jays

And That

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/blue-jays-agree-to-acquire-melvin-upton.html

For an unnamed A-ball player, and the Padres are paying a lot of his remaining salary. Upton has been decent this year and last at the plate after a brutal few years in Atlanta. Looks like a good deal for the Blue Jays.

Wasn't he pretty bad last year too? Seems like a solid move for the Padres to shed more salary. They made some interesting moves a few years ago and came up short. To me, they are a good example of why to stay away from expensive free agent signings.

Young righty Hansel Rodriguez constitutes the return to San Diego, along with cash considerations, Jon Heyman

18th ranked prospect in the Jays organization. Interesting to see the money side of the trade though.

Wasn't he pretty bad last year too? Seems like a solid move for the Padres to shed more salary. They made some interesting moves a few years ago and came up short. To me, they are a good example of why to stay away from expensive free agent signings.

I was shocked by the moves they made a few years ago. Myers, Kemp, and Upton have all had some success recently, but going with the "I can't hit righties" Norris, relying on Wil Middlebrooks to try to hit at 3B in Petco Park, trading the farm for Kimbrel, etc. made no sense. It felt like a new fantasy owner just seeing the counting stats and making moves. So many flawed moves. None of these guys play well to Petco Park.

Upton made sense for them as CF that you need in that park.

There is some optimism at the next wave and what they're doing. I like this a lot more.

Archived