Brewer Fanatic

Middlebrooks to 15-day DL, everyones fav returns!

torts

I was really excited to see Middlebrooks get called up but he just did not make the most his opportunity, then he got injured.

My guess is he gets a decent look in September and if he can show something, we'll consider him for next season, but otherwise we'll DFA him. He's worth one more look before we send him on his way, he's low risk but potentially very high reward if he could get back to what he was.

I was really excited to see Middlebrooks get called up but he just did not make the most his opportunity, then he got injured.

My guess is he gets a decent look in September and if he can show something, we'll consider him for next season, but otherwise we'll DFA him. He's worth one more look before we send him on his way, he's low risk but potentially very high reward if he could get back to what he was.

I can see us keeping him through September, but as others have said, I don't think he gets to do much other than PH. Where is he going to play?

Arcia and Villar are going to be virtually every day, when one gets the day off, they would likely rather put Perez at 3b than Middlebrooks. Maybe if he can play first, they'd give him a start or two, but I just don't see much time coming his way.

middlebrooks is set to begin a rehab assignment. i doubt that his rehab assignment will last until 1 september, when rosters can expand.

thus, someone has to go. the sky sox season ends 5 september. keon broxton and orlando arcia are the only two position players that can be optioned. barring an injury to another player or designating another player for assignment, one of broxton or arcia will likely be optioned.

that player has to spend 10 days in the minors before he can be recalled. there's been plenty of talk on this forum about service time for both arcia and broxton. this may be a convenient move for the brewers and their interests in team control.

Does the 10 day rule still apply once we hit September 1st? As far as Arcia & Broxton, I can't see them sending down Broxton while he's red hot. And in either case, if you optioned them I would think they would recall either of them when the 10 days had past. If you leave Arcia or Broxton at home when the minor league season is over after already breaking the seal with Arcia, it's pretty clear the team is keeping him there for team control reasons.

Gruber Lawffices

Does the 10 day rule still apply once we hit September 1st?

I don't think it does. If my memory serves me, I believe teams have optioned player on August 31 and "called them back up" the next day.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

A player who is optioned to the minors generally must remain on Optional Assignment for at least ten days. (A player optioned to the minors during Spring Training generally must remain on Optional Assignment for the first ten days of the MLB regular season). The only exceptions are if the player is recalled as the "26th man" for a day where a doubleheader was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance (or for the second game of the doubleheader only if the doubleheader was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance), or is recalled to replace a player on the 25-man roster who is placed on an MLB inactive list (Disabled List, Bereavement List, Paternity List, Restricted List, et al), or if the season (including post-season playoffs) of the minor league team to which the player is assigned is over, or if the player is traded.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3521

This sounds accurate. So the 10-day rule still applies until the Sky Sox' (or whichever team the player is assigned to) season is over. The Sky Sox' last game this year is on the 9/5.

Just DFA Middlebrooks already. The guy lends flesh & blood to the theoretical concept of a replacement player. 0.7 fWAR in 1,195 career PAs. -1.2 fWAR over his last four seasons/909 PAs. A 107 wRC+ as a 27 year old in AAA for the 6th time.

why doubt he'd do a weeklong stint on Rehab?

veteran players tend to get brief rehab stints, whereas with younger players, rehab stints are often as if the player was optioned for a longer period.

Archived