Brewer Fanatic

Middlebrooks to 15-day DL, everyones fav returns!

torts
Keon Broxton is back! Wren will never get a shot, will he?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wren was acquired by Melvin and never played in Houston organization. Broxton was acquired by Stearns. Stearns has blinders on. Now I'm not saying other GM's don't want to make themselves look good too, but knowing when you made a mistake is the sign of an exceptional GM.

Broxton is on the 40, Wren is not. After Aug. 1 it may be able to change but Stearns isn't messing around with the 40 until the trading season is over.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yea we need to be patient, it's not even August. Let's see what happens over the next week. Elmore is still on the 25 for crying out loud, so there will be more moves soon enough.

Just because Wren came up to CS and is hot for month, he's not going anywhere. Still over two months to go this season, we will see him get a chance I believe.

Wren was acquired by Melvin and never played in Houston organization. Broxton was acquired by Stearns. Stearns has blinders on. Now I'm not saying other GM's don't want to make themselves look good too, but knowing when you made a mistake is the sign of an exceptional GM.

What blinders are you referring to? Broxton actually has a higher .OPS than Wren at Colorado Springs so unless you are just wanting to try something different, then I see no reason why to get worked up over this. Now, if you want Wren up over Elmore or Wilkins (who are both terrible), then I can see your point.

Maybe that's right. On the other hand:

(1) as others have said, Broxton is on the 40-man, Wren isn't, and July 25 is about the worst possible moment for a seller to add a guy who's already in the system to the 40-man;

(2) we're talking about the 24th or 25th spot on the roster, which makes this a patently absurd move on which to base any judgment, let alone a sweeping generalization, about a GM's real or imagined tendencies;

(3) Broxton has a slightly higher AAA OPS this year than Wren does in slightly more PAs, and he's just shy of a year older than Wren, which suggests that a reasonable person could easily conclude Broxton was more likely than Wren to help the Brewers going forward (though a reasonable person could also reach the opposite result).

Broxton won't get a shot either. Niewenhuis is still on the team.

Considering the garbage in TF they've played, maybe he should get consistent time (assuming Perez is at 3B)

Perez could definitely improve his walk rate. But, he's a determined hitter with a penchant for delivering clutch hits. I like his competitiveness. Honestly, if he could get his OBP up, he could be a legitimate starter. He's hitting .285 last time I looked but really needs to work some walks in because his OBP isn't much better. This has been his issue all along, and is not due to a short sample size.

Love his versatlity, though.

Perez could definitely improve his walk rate. But, he's a determined hitter with a penchant for delivering clutch hits. I like his competitiveness. Honestly, if he could get his OBP up, he could be a legitimate starter. He's hitting .285 last time I looked but really needs to work some walks in because his OBP isn't much better. This has been his issue all along, and is not due to a short sample size.

He's never going to be a .350 OBP guy though he's already doubled his walk total from last year in nearly 100 fewer PA. While he's versatile, he's really a plus defender at 3B (had Counsell moved him there Sunday, they probably win that game), and if he can hit .280/.315/.400 and his power continues to develop, he might be a reasonable 2-3 year option at 3B.

There was an AB he had last week that I though was significant. With two out and a runner at 2B, he fouled off ball 4, then singled in the runner on the next pitch which was right down the middle. That was a spot where taking a walk wasn't going to get the job done. That's a great mentality for a hitter down in the 7th spot in the order. He also wasted no time when Villar was on 3B Sunday lifting a pitch early in the count for a sac fly, no small feat with this team. Later on they walked him in that situation and that run never scored.

Perez may never be a starter for a team but he sure as heck has proved his worth being a key bench guy. Guy can play all over the IF and now proves he can stick in the OF if need be. Good guy to have. The OBP just isn't there to be long term solution.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I cannot wait until we get out of Colorado Springs.

Cavernous ballpark + Colorado altitude = throwaway stats. Specifically batting average. Look at what it's done to non-MLB caliber players like DJ Lemahieu and others.

I realize that the rest of the PCL is already easy to hit in, but Wren is hitting .376 at home this year (.286 on the road).

I don't really have the time or ability to find the splits of Colorado Springs splits, but here are some fun recent Rockies:

Player(year(s)), Avg H/A

DJ Lemahieu (career), .325/.256 - includes a short Cubs stint

Carlos Gonzalez (career), .306/.267 - includes a short A's stint

Nolan Arenado (career), .307/.258

Mark Reynolds (2016), .296/.252

Todd Helton (career), .345/.287

Trevor Story (2016), .313/.232

Jordan Pacheco (lol) (2012), .345/.274

Throw the stats away or subtract .30-.40 batting average points. I realize that any Rockie away split includes a heavy dose of SF/SD/LAD, but it's still pretty insane.

He's never going to be a .350 OBP guy though he's already doubled his walk total from last year in nearly 100 fewer PA. While he's versatile, he's really a plus defender at 3B (had Counsell moved him there Sunday, they probably win that game), and if he can hit .280/.315/.400 and his power continues to develop, he might be a reasonable 2-3 year option at 3B.

There was an AB he had last week that I though was significant. With two out and a runner at 2B, he fouled off ball 4, then singled in the runner on the next pitch which was right down the middle. That was a spot where taking a walk wasn't going to get the job done. That's a great mentality for a hitter down in the 7th spot in the order. He also wasted no time when Villar was on 3B Sunday lifting a pitch early in the count for a sac fly, no small feat with this team. Later on they walked him in that situation and that run never scored.

Great post. I don't recall if it was the game you referenced, but he had a huge two out hit to drive in a run late and tie the game. It was really clutch and he was very determined. I loved the moxie. We ended up losing later.

• 4 weeks later...

middlebrooks is set to begin a rehab assignment. i doubt that his rehab assignment will last until 1 september, when rosters can expand.

thus, someone has to go. the sky sox season ends 5 september. keon broxton and orlando arcia are the only two position players that can be optioned. barring an injury to another player or designating another player for assignment, one of broxton or arcia will likely be optioned.

that player has to spend 10 days in the minors before he can be recalled. there's been plenty of talk on this forum about service time for both arcia and broxton. this may be a convenient move for the brewers and their interests in team control.

Middlebrooks is out of options, so he can't be sent down.

He's been out a while, I think if it's a matter of a couple days they will try to make his rehab assignment last until September 1st. They are starting him in Appleton, so they can keep him there for a few games, then move him up to AAA.

I really doubt that they'd option Broxton or Arcia at this point, since they don't want to delay their development or affect their confidence negatively even for a few days. I think it's more likely that they'd option a reliever like Cravy or Suter for a few days if they absolutely have to.

May as well DFA him, I can't see a way he makes the 40 man for next season anyhow.

Keep him at rehab until the rosters expand then use him as PH off the bench in September. He can't be worse than Elmore. After the season, he'll be released anyway and be one of the countless guys who'll be looking around for a non-roster invite somewhere.

Middlebrooks bat is lacking but truly he is the only 3rd baseman on the team and probably plays it better than anyone else. Watched a lot of skysox games and he was very consistent fielding his position unlike other players they had playing third.

Archived