Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Monday 7/25 - Noontime Timber Rattlers Matinee on TWC SportsChannel

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: TBD at home vs. Round Rock (Rangers), 1:00 PM pre-game, 1:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: Idle

Brevard County: Idle

Wisconsin: RHP Jordan Yamamoto at home vs. Lake County (Indians), 11:45 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: TBD at home vs. Ogden (Dodgers), 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the baby Cublets, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Angels, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Farmhand Birthday --

Happy 21st to Timber Rattlers starting pitcher David Burkhalter, who went on the disabled list June 8th with the dreaded "sprained elbow".

Given the recent epidemic in the Brewers' system, hopefully we all are incorrect in predicting where this may be heading.

DSL Angels 5, DSL Brewers 4

Box Score

Luis Manon, playing DH today, was on base 5 times with 2 singles and 3 walks. Antonio Pinero was 2-4. Jose Pena was 3-4.

Maiker Pinto started and took the loss going 6 2/3 innings giving up 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out 4.

Jose Sibrian has not appeared since the All-Star game. Not sure what the issue is.

Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stat of the day:

Gatewood in his first 94 games this season: 8 walks

Gatewood in his last 2 games this season: 4 walks

Now tied for 4th in league in home runs

I was told by a baseball writer that Gatewood is one of the most coachable guys in the Brewers system. He works hard, listens to what he's being taught, experiments and implements with his approach as agreed upon with the coaching staff. Everything you expect and more.

The last couple of years have been a lot of adjustments for Jake, and he's just the kind of guy that needs some patience. He's going to have some rough patches as he makes tweaks, adjusts to new positions, etc. But he said Gatewood is the kind of kid who has a chance because he works so hard and does have some really good skills.

If it all translates into being a major leaguer, who knows. But at least Gatewood doesn't sound like a kid squandering his opportunity.

Lake County beats Rattlers 6-2

Wisconsin drops final two games of homestand

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/6/9/6/191647696/cuts/7_25_PlayerOfTheGame_JakeGatewood_hl1hmkmk_td1iichg.jpg

Jake Gatewood went 1-for-2 with two walks and a home run on Monday afternoon. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

That's a nice picture of Jake with the fans, my kind of thing.

Alex Farina hasn't gotten much love from me but after a tough start he's settled in nicely and has been very effective... relievers need to be pretty outstanding to get any love from me simply because my focus on the pitching side is almost exclusively starting pitching.

Jake Gatewood's last 10 games is creeping ever closer to the .300 mark, sitting .295 after today's action. It really doesn't matter where he plays, 3B or 1B, but we'd like to see his ISO increase as he progresses up the chain. I agree with the earlier comments that people need to be patient with Jake, I made that case earlier this season when posters were ragging on him for his walk rate. Step 1 in hitting is learning how to square up a ball, being a patient hitter comes later. He probably falls in that .250-.270 range as a hitter but his power potential is enormous.

Troy Stokes (2-4,3B) and Lucas Erceg (2-4) had the multi hit games for the Rattlers, I noticed in the Box that Erceg got picked off, that makes him 1-4 with WI on the bases. His bat has been outstanding, but the rest of game is still fairly raw around on the edges. I think with his arm there's a reasonable chance he ends up in RF long term just because he'll be pushed faster than his game can be polished up.

Wisconsin Recap

Postgame Post – July 25, 2016

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sky Sox Blog prior to Monday's matinee --

Kyle Wren reached base another three times on Sunday with two hits and a walk. He brought home the fourth run of the game with a single in the fourth inning. His average? Upped to .361…His OBP, you ask? A mere .456 through 43 games with the Sky Sox (HOLY COW).

Wren then proceeded to go 5-for-5 with two doubles and a walk on Monday.

In 44 games and 149 AAA at-bats in 2016, Wren's line is now .383/.475/.490 (.965 OPS), with 12 stolen bases in 14 tries. 57 hits, 11 for extra-bases, but that's not Wren's game.

You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better 44 game stretch in Link Report (circa 2001) history. There's probably a Prince Fielder comparable in there somewhere.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena --

Monday Night Rained Out, Doubleheader on Tuesday

Brewers and Raptors Will Get Underway at 5:05 (6:05 Central)

Helena Brewers

HELENA, MT - Monday night's scheduled game between the Helena Brewers and Ogden Raptors has been postponed due to inclement weather. The game will be made up on Tuesday, July 26 as part of a doubleheader with the first game scheduled to begin at 5:05 (6:05 Central).

Each game is scheduled for seven innings, and game two will start approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Colorado Springs 6, Round Rock 5, ten innings

The Sky Sox have been thoroughly entertaining for their loyal home fans this season...

EY Steals Record As Sky Sox Complete Sweep

Manny Pina's walk-off sacrifice fly gives Sky Sox 6-5 win over Express

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

TWEET: Watch the walkoff!

Colorado Springs Box Score

You read about the Kyle Wren extravaganza earlier in this thread. Huge staff-saving efforts by RHP's Tyler Cravy and Austin Ross, as noted in the linked game summary...

Colorado Springs Game Log

Congrats EY, Jr. -- all indications are you one classy and well-respected dude...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers are team in transition following several moves

Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

VIDEO Interview with Jake Gatewood at the link (previously linked within the Rattler Radio Blog postgame entry)

GRAND CHUTE - Roster revisions and team reboots are part of the ever-changing world of minor league baseball.

Affiliates of Major League Baseball teams are asked to retool on the fly with new pieces and parts.

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers are no exception.

The team that took the field Monday afternoon at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium bore little resemblance to the one that opened the 2016 Midwest league season 3½ months ago.

Of the 10 players that comprised Monday’s starting lineup in a 6-2 loss to Lake County, five were members of Wisconsin’s opening-day lineup, but catcher Max McDowell and right fielder Carlos Belonis were the only ones playing the same positions.

The starting second baseman was Isan Diaz — the Timber Rattlers’ starting shortstop for much of the season — which was no surprise since Diaz has been projected as a second baseman since the day the Brewers acquired him in a trade with Arizona last winter.

Diaz’s partner on the left side of the infield for most of 2016, Jake Gatewood, was also manning a new position on the right side. Gatewood has been the Rattlers’ third baseman for over 100 games this season, but was learning the ropes at first base Monday, while Milwaukee’s second-round pick in the June draft, Lucas Erceg, was holding down Gatewood’s spot at the hot corner.

The starting shortstop was versatile Luis Aviles, who has played well this season while seeing action at seven different positions.

In the outfield, Monte Harrison — another highly regarded opening-day starter — was nowhere to be found after breaking the hamate bone in his left hand earlier this summer.

But there was a Trent Clark sighting. Clark — Milwaukee’s No. 1 pick in the 2015 draft — has finally returned to the Wisconsin lineup after missing a month with a hamstring problem.

Like many minor league clubs, the Rattlers (50-51) are a team in transition.

“You’re a low A ball team and that means there’s a lot of transition going on, some years more so than others,” said Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson.

This is one of those years with a constantly changing cast, particularly with position players. The arrival of fresh faces like Erceg are typical for this time of the season. But the position changes reflect a shift in philosophy by Milwaukee’s new front office led by GM David Stearns. Stearns and the Brewers want versatile players and aren’t afraid to take them out of their comfort zone and experiment with them at different spots.

“It’s a different way of thinking,” said Erickson. “I know over the last few years, the front office was more apt to keep people at the same position and same level if they could to try and create some comfort. It seems like this regime is more apt to move guys and change positions to try and add more versatility to their games. We happen to have the personnel right now to do that.”

Gatewood is expected to shuttle between third and first the rest of the season, while also getting a look in the outfield. It’s the second position switch for the 20-year-old Gatewood, the 41st overall selection in the 2014 draft and a shortstop until this season.

“No one has given up on him at that position (third base),” said Erickson. “Actually, there has been a lot of good things said about his development there. I think he steadily got better there and he’s probably played his best third base the last couple weeks. The decision to move him was to add more versatility to his game.

“He passes the eyeball test for sure: a tall target at first base with good footwork around the bag.”

If the position switch was bothering Gatewood, it didn’t show in his final at-bat Monday when he launched a solo home run over the left field wall, his 11th of the season.

“It’s been fun,” said Gatewood of his new duties at first base. “I’m not a stranger to new positions. I’m kind of comfortable being uncomfortable you could say. It is what it is. It’s what I have to do right now.”

The 6-foot-5 Gatewood hadn’t played first base since his Little League days.

“Haven’t played first since I was eight-years-old,” Gatewood said. “It’s pretty much third base backwards. But you have to be at the bag all the time. What’s hard for me are pickoff attempts because when pitchers throws over there, their ball tends to have a lot of movement on it.”

The 21-year-old Erceg is off to strong start, both at third base and at the plate. He made a nice over-the-shoulder grab of a foul ball Monday and went 2-for-4 to raise his batting average to .440. However, his inexperience also showed when he was picked off first by Lake County starting pitcher Brock Hartson.

”He shows a feel for the game, but what sticks out are his and his ability to put the barrel on the ball,” Erickson said.

The 19-year-old Clark started in centerfield Monday and went 1-for-5 in his return. Clark showed the hamstring injury is behind him by legging out a hustle double on a bloop hit that would have been a single for most players.

Clark previously injured the hamstring twice before being placed on the disabled list.

”The problem the first time was dehydration,” said Clark. “Then when I pulled it the second time, it was running form. I always stressed my hamstring when I ran. I wasn’t running on my toes. I had a lot of heel contact and I was over-striding.

”My main focus the past month has been getting the right form and running on my toes.”

Clark had a fast start with Wisconsin before cooling off and is hitting just .225 with two homers, 10 RBIs and one steal.

’”I'm a little rusty and my timing was off today,” Clark said. ”But it’s good to be back. I’ve got to get back to that same game approach and same game shape every single day.”

Erickson said that the 20-year-old Harrison — a second-round pick by Milwaukee in 2014 — is getting close to resuming competitive baseball action.

””He’s about two weeks from getting into games in Arizona," said Erickson. ”If everything goes well, it’s very possible he’ll be back here to end the season.”

The Rattlers were outhit 13-8 in Monday’s loss to the Captains. Milwaukee outfielder Domingo Santana was scratched from the original starting lineup after experiencing tenderness in his elbow and didn’t play what was expected to be the finale of a three-game rehab stint with the Timber Rattlers. Santana has returned to Milwaukee for further evaluation after going 2-for-7 as a Rattler.

””He wanted to stay and play right field today,” said Erickson. "Then he came in and said it was uncomfortable. We talked to Milwaukee and they decided to scratch him and send him back.”

Archived