Brewer Fanatic

Chapman to Cubs for Torres, Warren, McKinney, Crawford (nee "mystery player")

And That

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cubs selling their soul. Guess that "character" talk was just that.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cubs are set for a while with Russell at SS, so they are dealing from a position of strength. That's a smart thing to do.

Yes, Torres is a very good prospect to give up for a reliever, but I guess the Cubs are okay with that.

I've never gotten the love for McKinney. He could be a fine player, even a starter, but he's always said 4th OF to me. But hey, you never know. He's till only 21, so there's lots of room for growth.

I get why the Cubs would do this, absolutely. They haven't won a WS in their 300 year history. This season everything is lining up so far, have all the money in the world, and still have a lot of young talent from MLB all the way down, so even after making this deal it's not a one time shot for them.

This is what I think the Indians should be doing as well, because everything said above is true for them also- with the exception of having a ton of money. Lucroy/Smith just makes perfect sense for them.

Still a bit surprised the Yankees are choosing to sell. They are over 500 and 4.5 out of the wild card. I mean, good for them if they're being honest with themselves about the talent on the roster and its ability to get to the postseason, but this just generally seems like an un-Yankee thing to do.

If this package was going out for 2 1/2 years of Andrew Miller I'd think it was still slightly in the Yankees favor, but for 1/2 a season of Chapman? Well done, Ca$hman. Then again, if the Cubs break the drought and Chapman strikes out the last batter of the WS with a 105 MPH heater it will certainly all be more than worth it.

So I realize that Chapman is more of an elite closer than Jeffress (and to some extent Smith), but Chapman is only signed this year.

What does this mean for our relief guys? Could we legitimately get an overpay like this as well?

So is Chapman going into the rotation? Otherwise I don't see this being that much of an improvement for them. Even if he signs an extension.

Understand this. Maddon has a quick hook that gets quicker in the postseason. This deal is all about the postseason. He's got enough top quality arms in the pen to get him from the 5th to the 9th. The Royals won a World Series in large part because of a lock down bullpen.

This is great. Hopefully the Cubs continue to mortgage their future for a WS shot this year.

Wishful thinking on your part. What future did they mortgage? Their current SS is 22. They also still have Baez who's 23. McKinney's doesn't project to be a core player if he makes any impact whatsoever at the big league level. Warren's 4-5 starter material that can't crack their present rotation. Crawford's just a warm body. They have plenty of money to fill in any gaps.

Continue to mortgage the future. Are you implying trading Vogelbach was mortgaging the future? Rizzo's under control through 2021. Even if they wanted to keep Vogelbach, he will have exhausted all his minor league options long before Rizzo would be gone.

I think the Cubs got off light here.

I know its not good, but I get so jealous when I see other teams pull of these huge prospect for expiring trades.

Other than the Melvin/Astros heist last year, I cant off the top of my head recall a single deal like this or the Shelby Miller trade in our favor.

I know its not good, but I get so jealous when I see other teams pull of these huge prospect for expiring trades.

Other than the Melvin/Astros heist last year, I cant off the top of my head recall a single deal like this or the Shelby Miller trade in our favor.

Seriously?? McKinney is not a huge prospect. He's still young (turns 22 next month) but he's "slugging" .322 at AA and carrying an OPS of .677. Warren is 5th starter material who'll turn 28 next month. Crawford is a non-entity. Torres is the lone gem here and he's not in the class of Adam Russell or Baez.

A comparable Brewer package would be Isan Diaz (Torres comp), Tyrone Taylor (McKinney), Wily Peralta (Warren), and Elvis Rubio (Crawford). That's not a great haul for one of the premier relievers in the game.

Cubs have nice prospects but they get over-hyped. To get a guy who's likely to get key outs in the postseason, it's not an overpay by any means.

Seriously?? McKinney is not a huge prospect. He's still young (turns 22 next month) but he's "slugging" .322 at AA and carrying an OPS of .677. Warren is 5th starter material who'll turn 28 next month. Crawford is a non-entity. Torres is the lone gem here and he's not in the class of Adam Russell or Baez.

A comparable Brewer package would be Isan Diaz (Torres comp), Tyrone Taylor (McKinney), Wily Peralta (Warren), and Elvis Rubio (Crawford). That's not a great haul for one of the premier relievers in the game.

Cubs have nice prospects but they get over-hyped. To get a guy who's likely to get key outs in the postseason, it's not an overpay by any means.

If you think Diaz and Taylor equals Torres and McKinney, then it's not as much of an overpay. I'm pretty sure the industry doesn't consider those equal packages though.

The Cubs did what a smart team in their position should do. They dealt from strength and used their prospect depth to strengthen their major league club. If it helps them win the World Series it will be worth it. But if they don't win it they gave away a valuable package of players for nothing. That's a risky move, particularly considering the Cubs had a good enough team to win it all before dealing for Chapman.

None of our pitchers are even remotely close to Chapman. Yankees had the only two difference makers so to speak on the market. That is why they got a huge overpay. Jeffress/Thornburg/Smith are all great pitchers, but not elite. Controllable or not they want to win this year and Chapman gives them the best shot.

Archived