Brewer Fanatic

Didn't want the risk of holding onto him. The length of his suspension was still a mystery when they traded him and the incident (in my mind) was serious enough where I'd be concerned holding onto him longer. Add in the normal risks of taking a player into his final year like regression or injury leaving you with a comp pick at best and I guess they didn't want to go down that path of risks.

Because the team trading for him in the offseason gets to make him a qualifying offer and theoretically will offer more than they would in July. The Cubs are paying way too much if the Torres rumors are true.

At the cost being discussed, I'd rather see Chapmen head to the Cubs instead of the Tribe...

Way too much for a rental & the Tribe is not going to sign Chapmen to an extension..

I couldn't agree more, a move like this would be brutal for the Indians.

There has been no talk about an extension and the deal is on the one yard line. I will be stoked if the Cubs give up their #1 prospect and don't get Chapman past this year.

I will say I can't blame the Cubs for doing this. An elite bullpen can take you places. Won't ever forget that K-Rod/Axford duo in 2011. Basically made the game 7 innings and a big reason we dominated in the second half.

Chapman would be foolish to sign an extension now, and the Yankees would be foolish to deal him in that scenario unless they got a king's ransom for him (i.e., more than the Cubs' #1 prospect)...it's very possible that Chapman turns around and resigns with the Yankees for next year.

The Cubs have insisted they won't be trading Schwarber, but he would sure be an ideal fit for the Yankees to be their DH for the next decade.

That is an incredibly steep price to pay (#1 prospect) for Chapman if you don't get him locked down.

Cashman should be executive of the year if he somehow landed the Cubs #1 prospect (plus more as rumored) and then turned around and signed Chapman as a free agent.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Latest report is that it's SS Glibber Torres (#24 on MLB Pipeline Top Prospect List) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (ranked as the Cubs #7 prospect on MLB Pipeline) for Chapman.

Easily could be other pieces or contingencies (such as a contract extension for Chapman) as well.

When these rumors first broke I thought for sure there would be another MLB piece from the Yankees heading to Chicago along with Chapman. Chapman might be the best reliever in the game, but giving up a top 50 prospect along with another organizational top 10 type is a big price to pay for a reliever.

Happy to see it as a Brewer fan though. It takes the Indians out of the Chapman sweepstakes. I have to think that the Cubs and Chapman get an extension done, and if the Cubs end up dumping 60+ million into a relief pitcher that might not be a bad thing for the Brewers either. Chapman is a dominant force, but is very reliant on velocity so one injury could turn it into a bad investment rather quickly.

Reports that Cubs are sending 4 prospects for just Chapman. That would be great news for the Brewers and their relievers.

Smith's lousy weekend in front of a boatload of scouts put the damper on his value. Notable that Jeffress didn't pitch this weekend. Maybe they don't want to scuttle a deal on the table for him.

Reports are Cubs are giving back top 50 shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres along with Adam Warren and two others. I'm betting the Cubs are confident they can extend Chapman and why not? That's where their rebuild and what the Brewers are trying to replicate falls apart.

MLB Trade Rumors now has Torres, Warren and McKinney in the deal, with 1 more prospect not yet known. Also, they are reporting no extension negotiations with Chapman.

That is a lot to pay for a 1/2 season. Obviously the Cubs see the value of a strong pen, but if they don't win it all that is a bunch to give up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yankees could be sending something else back to the Cubs. MLB Trade Rumors said that Warren would be going to the Yankees but 'is not in the deal.'

That could mean a bigger deal. Just speculation on my part, but the Cubs might like Brett Gardner. He's still pretty good, and the Yankees might be happy to move him. He would fit in well in LF for the Cubbies.

This is spectacular news for the Brewers bullpen pieces. Of course Smith picked this weekend to have his melt downs, but he should still have a ton of value unless there is something physical?

MLB Trade Rumors now has Torres, Warren and McKinney in the deal, with 1 more prospect not yet known. Also, they are reporting no extension negotiations with Chapman.

That is a lot to pay for a 1/2 season. Obviously the Cubs see the value of a strong pen, but if they don't win it all that is a bunch to give up.

Cubs have a 22 year old SS who started the major league All Star game. Torres isn't in that class. McKinney is a guy who's "slugging" .322 at AA. Seems like a guy with a high prospect rating based on who drafted him more than anything. He's shown little power other than a stint in Cal League, and no SB ability. I'm not sure they are giving up anything that will come back and haunt them down the road. Chapman gives them the kind of lock down bullpen where Maddon can pull his starter after 5 innings of a playoff game and lock the opponent down.

Cubs have a 22 year old SS who started the major league All Star game. Torres isn't in that class. McKinney is a guy who's "slugging" .322 at AA. Seems like a guy with a high prospect rating based on who drafted him more than anything. He's shown little power other than a stint in Cal League, and no SB ability. I'm not sure they are giving up anything that will come back and haunt them down the road. Chapman gives them the kind of lock down bullpen where Maddon can pull his starter after 5 innings of a playoff game and lock the opponent down.

You never know what any prospect will do until they get there, so all we can go on is where they are valued now. And right now, the Cubs are giving their #1, their #5 and another prospect, plus a warm body in Warren for a guy they are going to have for less than 1/2 a season. If the Cubs win the World Series this year nobody will ever care what Torres, McKinney, or the third guy turn into. But if they don't win it all, it was a lot to give

Archived