Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg

Torress who is the Cubs no.1 prospect + more for Chapman rental is on the table according to Jon Heyman

Wow

Don't know much about Torress, but that would seem to be a haul. I'm not sure where our relievers (Smith, Jeffress, Thornburg) would be valued in comparison to Chapman. Our guys have more team control, but lack the "star" power that Chapman has, and a team that places more emphasis on this year than the summation of the next three may be willing to pay more for a true rental like Chapman than our guys. They could be thinking, What's more valuable to us - a guy who will give us 2.0 WAR the remainder of the season, or a guy who will give us 7.0 over the next 3.5 years (and just 1.0 this season). Just using arbitrary WAR numbers as an example.

Gruber Lawffices

Torress who is the Cubs no.1 prospect + more for Chapman rental is on the table according to Jon Heyman

Wow

Don't know much about Torress, but that would seem to be a haul. I'm not sure where our relievers (Smith, Jeffress, Thornburg) would be valued in comparison to Chapman. Our guys have more team control, but lack the "star" power that Chapman has, and a team that places more emphasis on this year than the summation of the next three may be willing to pay more for a true rental like Chapman than our guys. They could be thinking, What's more valuable to us - a guy who will give us 2.0 WAR the remainder of the season, or a guy who will give us 7.0 over the next 3.5 years (and just 1.0 this season). Just using arbitrary WAR numbers as an example.

Chapman is def a much better player then those 3, probably the best pitching option in the market this offseason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Chapman is an elite talent - one of the very best at what he does - maybe even the best reliever in the game. By fWAR, he's the best reliever over the past five years. He's one of the few relievers that could fetch the haul of a top 30 prospect.

The Reds undersold Chapman last winter big time, but he had serious legal issues then.

Thornburg is having an outstanding season - arguably better than Jeffress. His big bugaboo has been HRs. He just doesn't have a big track record of success, so teams might be hesitant to give up too much for him.

Which would make him perfect for the NL West with all the pitchers parks out there.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I'd see Thornburg as the type a trade a team from outside the Playoffs as of today trades for, to at least make it appear there's some attempt to gain. That team to me is Seattle and reading through their prospect listing, Nick Neidert reads as a Thornburg. Just a year+ away from contributing to a ML ball club. Lois Gohara or DJ Peterson are directly ranked ahead of Neidert, while not top 100 prospects I'd believe they'd be less willing to part with. But any of those 3 would be my Thornburg trade headliner from Seattle and then I'd try to get one of their 2014 International signings of either Brayan Hernendez or Christopher Torres.

A lot. He is probably the most valuable reliever they have in all honesty. Doesn't have the track record but the results have been amazing this year.
I agree. I'd hold onto him, shift him into a higher-leverage role once we trade Jeffress and/or Smith, and then deal him (assuming we're still in that mode) once he's established himself in that role. I think he's one of those guys who's worth more to us to keep right now than he is to deal. Of course, if somebody wants to back up a truck, I'm not purist about any of this.

I definitely want to keep some powder dry for 2017 so we can get another crop of trade acquisitions then. There may be some more guys available then or guys that develop that we may covet after another year of scouting and development. So, I'd like to have some ammo ready next year.

Thorny and Guerra are a couple of guys who could build value and go next year. Hopefully Gennett is in that category too as he's proving himself against southpaws.

Wouldn't mind Thornburg in a full time closers role.

One reason I really would like Jeffress to switch uniforms. When it comes to closers teams drool over strikeouts and Thornburg's 12.5 K/9 is among the best. I'd need a haul to move Thornburg.

Archived