Brewer Fanatic

Justin Upton & Mike Pelfrey sign

Some linkage:

arizona.diamondbacks.mlb....p;c_id=ari

www.baseballamerica.com/t...upton.html

Great news for Diamondback fans. Their lineup is going to be absolutely loaded in 2-3 years with Upton, Stephen Drew, Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin. If Chad Tracy sticks around, and they get added production out of a few of their other young hitters (Luis Terrero, Alex Cintron, Koyie HIll), they are going to hit their way to a lot of victories. Now they need to address their pitching. I think you can pencil in a pitcher with their first-round pick this year.

Colby, I think the Dbacks did make a strong effort to upgrade their pitching, as they took what, 4 or 5 college hard throwers in the next 2-3 rounds. Several should hit AA this year, and if 1 or 2 can pan out, it'll go down as a great draft

I would argue that the D-Backs 2005 draft was already a great, as I truly believe Justin Upton will live up to his expectations and then some. I give them credit for resisting the temptation to pass on a once in a lifetime type of player to address a seemingly more immediate need. However, while I like some of the arms they took, their strength without a doubt is hitting, and it's not even close.

Upton's bonus confirmed, $6.1 million, a new record (updated BA story linked):

www.baseballamerica.com/t...upton.html

Also, the Mets have reportedly come to terms with RHP Mike Pelfrey, the #9 overall pick:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...lfrey.html

A bonus of $3.5M and MLB deal worth at least $5.3M overall payable over 4 years.

Don't forget Chris Young, he's one of my favorite prospects in the whole league - they're loaded with a bunch of my faves like Jackson, Quentin, Young, and Drew. If they can augment those guys with decent pitchers, they could be a powerhouse for a long time.

• 2 months later...

Archived