Brewer Fanatic

center field

Crash2303
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Santana (Before he got hurt) had a *not terrible* .737 OPS, and some of that was compiled while he was playing hurt. That's unfortunate, as just about everyone was looking forward to seeing what he could do with 500-600 PA's this year.

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize Hernan Perez has played 15 games in the OF, and he's been surprisingly not bad out there, and his bat has improved (also a .737 OPS). While still not what I'd call "selective" at the plate, he has 8 walks (4 walks last year!), and his power has improved. He's a decent option for an all around utility guy, and I don't feel bad any day that he starts.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santana (Before he got hurt) had a *not terrible* .737 OPS, and some of that was compiled while he was playing hurt. That's unfortunate, as just about everyone was looking forward to seeing what he could do with 500-600 PA's this year.

The Brewers have had some luck with Villar, Carter, Guerra, etc., but they have not had any luck with the group of fringe OFs they threw together, which was compounded with the injuries to Santana (and Liriano). They hoped they could either find a youngster who could become part of the future, or at least get a journeyman vet that could be flipped at the deadline, but that hasn't worked out. It's a rebuild year, and overall I think Stearns did a pretty good job adding value from the "scrapheap" last offseason.

Hopefully Santana will be healthy in the second half, which (barring a Braun trade) will leave us with only one gaping hole in the OF. We'll see what comes back in trade, and decide how best to fill that hole. We still have a lot of bodies that can fill CF. The question is whether any of them will step forward and claim the spot for next year or whether Stearns will have to work on that problem in the offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

EDIT: Also, I didn't realize Hernan Perez has played 15 games in the OF, and he's been surprisingly not bad out there, and his bat has improved (also a .737 OPS). While still not what I'd call "selective" at the plate, he has 8 walks (4 walks last year!), and his power has improved. He's a decent option for an all around utility guy, and I don't feel bad any day that he starts.

I had forgotten about Santana, D'Oh! I like him a lot.

While I agree Perez has been OK, I guess he still doesn't fit my definition of OF, for whatever reason. It seems like he is only playing out there out of frustration of the lack of progress the others guys are making.

Also, important to note some of those guys (Broxton, Kirk) were never brought in to be a long term solution in CF, they're just too old. But they could have been guys to flip, or at least hold down CF for a couple years.

I still think there's a chance Broxton could be ok in CF given a longer opportunity to see what he can do. At the same time, I get why he hasn't had that chance.

Flores is out of options. Of course, it's reasonable for one to feel that that detail isn't all that important in his case. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Flores is out of options. Of course, it's reasonable for one to feel that that detail isn't all that important in his case. :)

It's amazing that he continues to get at bats. Flores is straight garbage without a single obvious skill.

Right. It's hard to imagine there is anyone out there willing to add him to their 25 man roster. He might fit as a 25th man somewhere but most teams like a guy who has options filling that spot. Even if he's lost, is that a big deal? No, it isn't. Whatever team would get him likely would just expose him to waivers later on. 257 plate appearances is a pretty substantial trial and numbers like .211/.291/.260 won't create much excitement.

Everyone can agree that Wren or Reed might be upgrades at this point but again, nothing is going to happen until after trading season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

150 AB in 44 games at AAA and Wren is hitting .383/.490/.965 as leadoff.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

What are the chances that Wren has "figured it out", as Doug Melvin always says about speedsters, it takes them a little longer.

Melvin said that about Podsednik but actually Wren's been a better hitter. Podsednik was career .265/344/.348 in the minors. Wren is .299/.365/.379. Pretty similar type players though, with the speed to play CF adequately but not premier defenders there. Podsednik was 2nd in ROY voting at 27. Wren is 25. He definitely needs to given a look. Coming from a baseball family, he's got to have a good understanding of the game as well.

By the way, Khris Davis in the last calendar year:. 46 HR 112 RBI. Old time stats to be sure, but impressive nonetheless. Certainly worth more than the return Brewers got.

He's not. He really isn't. It's actually pretty amazing that he can hit 40+ homers in a calendar year and still be rather worthless. Shows you how truly bad he is at the rest of the skills it takes to play baseball.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
By the way, Khris Davis in the last calendar year:. 46 HR 112 RBI. Old time stats to be sure, but impressive nonetheless. Certainly worth more than the return Brewers got.

I'm not sure what Khris Davis has to do with CF. Or the trade return. Also HRs is not old time stat. It is an immensely relevant stat.

I agree that Davis has impressive power, whether he is worth more or less than the return we got is probably a little too soon to determine though. Even though he doesn't add much else I'd say anybody drafted in the 7th round that can provide 1.5ish WAR four years in a row and carry a top 10 ISO has clearly been a success.

In regards to CF, agree that Wren should be up post deadline & am eagerly awaiting reading all the freak out posts when we give Gomez the Gagne contract this offseason.

Archived