Brewer Fanatic

center field

Crash2303
hope fully after the trade deadline they can add Wren to the 4o man and call him up.

Like there aren't a half dozen guys that they could DFA to make room now?

The "now" isn't the issue. By cutting KN you would have a spot.

You are looking at the 40 man roster management as for what it will look like after trades (may acquire more 40 man players then trade away) and later what you need to have available to protect your minor leaguers and what you would like to have available to pick up outside talent. So the question is, does Wren have to be put on the 40 man roster this offseason to retain him?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes even more sense, factoring in Carter being a FA after the 2017 season.

Carter won't be a FA until after the 2018 season if they decide to go that route.

According to Sportrac, it is actually after the 2017 season: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/chris-carter/

According to baseballreference, he's eligible for FA after the 2018 season.

According to Cots, he has 3.159 years of MLB service, which I believe would have been accurate as of the beginning of the season.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This makes even more sense, factoring in Carter being a FA after the 2017 season.

Carter won't be a FA until after the 2018 season if they decide to go that route.

According to Sportrac, it is actually after the 2017 season: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/chris-carter/

I believe Carter is a 4 year arby guy, so he is controlled through 2018.

Baseball Reference has him at 3.159 years of experience coming into 2016. That means he misses free agency by (I think) 13 service days (I believe a full year is 172). Also, when we signed him, it was noted we could control him through 2018.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cartech02.shtml

thanks for clarifying Reily and it brought to mind that 1992casey had came to the same conclusion a while back in a previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33690&p=988667&hilit=carter#p988667.

Regardless, the points are still there, and I'm not sure I forsee Carter lasting through the 2018 season anyway. Let's hope that as many of our young guys fulfill or exceed projections- a good problem to have- excess of top tier talent!

Kirk He-Who-Cannon-Be-Spelled is a back up OF. He plays all the positions decently, he takes his share of walks, has a little pop. That said, he just doesn't hit enough. He can't keep up to high heat (hence all his strikeouts). That isn't going to change. He is what he is.

There's nothing wrong with a guy like Kirk N. as a 4th or 5th OF, but you don't want him playing everyday. As we've seen, his weaknesses will just get exposed more and more - and you end up with a guy hitting below the Mendoza line.

Regarding Wren, he screams backup OF due to his complete lack of power. That doesn't mean he can't help, so I'd be amenable to giving him playing time in Milwaukee. Now is the time for a guy like that to get some reps, get some experience, then if he shows he's competent, you have a quality back up.

Regarding Reed, I'm a sucker for OBP. I love all the walks. But he still doesn't hit that well. I've seen some video of him - not a lot - but from that and from what I've read, he (like Wren) is probably more of a backup - guy who can get on base, but not much power, can play all the OF positions, etc. Critiques of Reed seem to agree that he has a little long of a swing. He doesn't get a ton of loft, and lacks elite bat speed. If he was popping 20 HR or 40 doubles, you can live with a mediocre BA due to the walks, but if you're not getting many XBH, you're kind of a one trick pony.

Still, I could see just letting Reed go out and play OF on a regular basis in the Big Leagues. Unlike Wren, who I see as pretty much a known quantity, I could see Reed becoming a more complete player. I envisioned him as a .280 BA, .360 OBP, 10-12 HR guy playing a good RF. To me, that's a really valuable player. And I think it's still possible, but he's got to grow as a hitter. I'm not sure if bringing him to Milwaukee is the best place for that, but he has sort of stagnated at Colorado Springs. In the end, he just may not be that good - and what he is may just be a back up OF. If he can hit .250, take his walks, and play a decent OF, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a back up, but one that's cheap and solid.

I guess now is potentially the time to let guys like Wren and/or Reed get some regular time in Milwaukee. The options - Kirk N. and Flores - are uninspiring. If they fail, then so be it. At least you find out. I'd rather experiment now than in 2 or 3 years.

How about trying Hernan Perez in CF when Santana returns? He's athletic, can run, and has a strong arm, and for a guy with little OF experience, has handled RF pretty well. It's not like infielders haven't successfully transitioned into CF. Robin Yount comes to mind.

I would have thought that was crazy a month ago but he has actually looked decent in the outfield especially considering he had no previous time there professionally. The Brewers must have seen something in him to even try the outfield and they gave Santana time there last year so why not. Of course third is rather weak right now.

Not that I'm comparing Perez to Yount, but both entered pro ball as SS. Yount had zero OF experience to but moved to OF (first LF, then CF) out of necessity to protect a bum shoulder that would prevent him from ever returning to the infield. Guys start out at SS because they are generally good athletes. That's the main requirement to play CF too. In Perez' case the Brewers have a need at both 3B and CF. We know he can handle 3B defensively, but they also have a guy in Villar who could move there as soon as Arcia takes over SS. Maybe you look at Villar eventually in CF, and leave Perez at 3B, or vice versa? As the team is presently constituted (and of course a lot could change fairly quickly), both Villar and Perez need to be in the lineup on a regular basis even after the return of Santana and/or the arrival of Arcia.

I guess now is potentially the time to let guys like Wren and/or Reed get some regular time in Milwaukee. The options - Kirk N. and Flores - are uninspiring. If they fail, then so be it. At least you find out. I'd rather experiment now than in 2 or 3 years.

That sums the current situation up nicely. It was fine trotting Kirk out daily when he was hitting okay in hopes that he could keep it up and make himself somewhat valuable in trade. Now that that ship has seemingly passed, they're shuffling the deck chairs until trade deadline, when they'll have some more answers as to the 40-man situation, and will be able to make better decisions as to what is best for the long-term good of the team.

Kirk won't bring anything back in trade, but I'd guess that if the Brewers cut him some team looking for a defensive replacement 4/5 OF will pick him up. He just isn't the guy the Brewers should be giving time to when they have a bunch of younger players who could use the reps to see if they can stick.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The bottom 5 guys on our roster (Nieuwenhuis, Flores, Middlebrooks, Elmore, Wilkins) are completely worthless. I realize this is a developmental year, but it's hard to believe we don't have 5 guys in the minors right now who would be better for a flyer than these 5.

If a full 40 man is what is keeping Wren from a promotion, it shouldn't be. Any or all of these 5 could be released tomorrow for new blood and none would be missed.

The bottom 5 guys on our roster (Nieuwenhuis, Flores, Middlebrooks, Elmore, Wilkins) are completely worthless. I realize this is a developmental year, but it's hard to believe we don't have 5 guys in the minors right now who would be better for a flyer than these 5.

Of these five, Flores is the only guy I can imagine with any 'upside' - and that's questionable after watching him 1/2 year.

Elmore, Wilkens, Nieuwenhuis, Middlebrooks - these guys are filler - nothing more.

I'm thinking Wilkens is only here because of the chance that Carter could be dealt. This gives the team a little time to evaluate him. Same with Middlebrooks. The team probably sees him as no more as a stop gap if Carter is dealt, as well as an occasional starter at 3B.

Elmore, i just don't get. Oh well, guys like that come and go.

Flores was, at least coming into the season, an interesting bat. He wasn't too old, didn't have a track record in the majors. The value in finding out what he can (and can't) do.

Reed hasn't really earned his promotion this year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Reed hasn't really earned his promotion this year.

True, but that hasn't stopped them from bringing up Rivera and Wilkins, neither of whom earned a promotion. Reed's on the 40 man. Might as well take a look along with Wren. It could be argued that Middlebrooks didn't either if you consider his weak road splits.

Lets see if Santana returns and/or they get a major league ready OF back in a deal. Wren deserves the first shot though. Either way, it's time to end the Nieuwenhuis era.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Brewers CF of the future isn't within the organization as of yet. Hope I'm wrong (Brett Phillips) and wrong again (Corey Ray, to me, is a corner OF)
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Kirk answered the bell today! Your move brewfan.net!

Do I have to put this in blue?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

His home stats are amazing

Wow! I just looked them up. Incredible.

Garza for sure but I think it would require a record number of posts.

It'd look too much like jsonline comment section for me. Just cut him.

I'm fascinated by our OF'ers not named Braun.

Flores: 551 OPS

Kirk: 721 OPS

Broxton: 441 OPS

Elmore: 595 OPS

Wilkins who is sort of an OF: 100 OPS

For the all the comments we give Kirk (and rightly so), he is Babe Ruth compared to Flores and Broxton.

The good news is the FO realized this and made our last two first round picks OF'ers. The bad news is neither guy is hitting down in A ball.

We need to catch a break.

Archived