Brewer Fanatic

center field

Crash2303

I know that Nieuwenhuis/Presley were picked up to be cheap stop gap and possible flip candidates this year. After cutting bait with Presley, i'm guessing they let Nieuwenhuis pretty much take over in center hoping that he could string enough together to be flipped at the deadline, but at this point he's not hitting above the Mendoza line and regardless of his decent defense, if nobody wanted Presley, it would similarly seem that nobody is going to be trading for Nieuwy. and at 28 years old and after almost 1000 MLB PAs, there's little reason to think he'll be more than his his career .684 OPS (which is better than his this year).

Whereas Kyle Wren is absolutely killing AAA right now. After just turning 25 he has much more projectability and its time to see what he can do at the major league level and thus time to let Nieuwenhuis go, now.

Furthermore, Flores, 24, and Broxton, recently turned 26, continue to need MLB seasoning. but, I'm not sure how many ABs you'd be able to give to them both once Santana comes back, but there is little for either of them to prove back at AAA.

You've also got Liriano (injured) & Reed who are going to factor into the mix next season and Phillips at AA. But, in spite of so many (including me) anointing Phillips as the 2017 starting CF when the season began, it is showing more and more likely that a September callup will more likely happen next year, after a full season of AAA.

in a way that is good as it can afford the Brewers one more season to see what they've got in (the young five) Liriano, Flores, Broxton, Wren, and Reed before Phillips (hopefully) takes over. But, if any of them should show that they're a starter, it is all the more reason why Braun should free up this logjam by moving to first base or traded.

In spring training I was hoping that at least one of the five CF Presley, Nieuwenhuis, Young, Guez, Peterson would establish themselves a bit and maybe bring back a low level lotto or something. However, it seems that all of them at this point are AAA vet filler. So here's hoping that the young five flourish into more than that- but the only way to find out is to see what they can do a the major league level.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember the stories in spring about there being 8 CF candidates? Translation:. They didn't have any. It was totally predictable.

Exactly. id roll with our best non prospect young guy where we don't care about the control clock and move on from Kirk.

Even in a rebuilding year, I hate seeing the Brewers waste CF playing time. Kirk has no future and won't be trade able, so move on from him and throw another turd at the wall because the current one clearly didn't stick. See what Wren has - probably not much, but that's how to find out

As terrible as Broxton was on the big league level, i'd call him up and let him play everyday for at least a month.

It's not as if this team has a chance for the playoffs or Nieuwenhuis has a future with the team. We stick with him nearly everyday and yea he draws walks, but his batting average the last three months are .216/.212/.086 to go with 84 K's in only 209 at bats.

Flores has been given 250 at bats as a corner OF and to go with a .218 batting average, somehow he's only managed a .269 SLG. That's almost hard to believe.

So even with as overmatched as Broxton looked vs major league pitching, he was never really given an extended chance to play everyday or nearly everyday for as long as Flores and Nieuwenhuis have.

If Broxton were given consistent playing time for at least the next month or two and still looked overmatched, then send him back down when September call ups happen and maybe Phillips or Reed is given a chance. This should be the type of season to give a guy like Broxton this extra chance given if he continued to be terrible, it would only contribute to a better draft pick next year.

Ditto to all the above. I am done with KN, and there is no way he is going to generate any trade interest. At least Flores is 4.5 years younger and maybe has a chance to improve. I would bring up Wren, but only if that isn't going to cause any 40 man roster issues now or in the offseason. Broxton can be brought up and given the rest of the season to prove something, even if he doesn't do anything we can cross him off the list then at least. Wren is actually one year younger than Broxton.

I'd like to see Wren or Reed. They should get a chance to win a bench spot next year. If we somehow got Zimmer from Cleveland, we'd be set the next few years--especially if Maverick gets back on track.

Wren's earned a shot. Hopefully he can get on base at a decent rate and play an acceptable CF for a year or two, and Phillips or even Ray (who they appear to want to make a quick rise) can take over by 2018. Maybe they can find a professional CF in the bargain FA bin this winter too (Gomez?) who'll be a stopgap.

If Broxton flopped like he did and was 23, sure give him another shot. But he's 26 and I just don't see it.

I'm skeptical that Wren's performance is any different then the other good AAA seasons that have made us look at the random other assortment of players, but definitely he deserves his own clean shot at getting somewhere if none of the other options show any signs of life.

forget Broxton or anyone else, give Wren a shot.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Maybe they are waiting until the trade deadline to see how it shakes out before making a move in CF? Who knows? But Kirk is at the end of the line unless he gets extremely hot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Haven't seen it anywhere, but any idea on when Santana is expected back?

I agree with the above. Kirk had his shot and was ok for a while but he's nothing. Same with Flores really. Let Broxton or anyone with a possible future have an audition for a month.

This was definitely a "throw stuff at the wall and see if anything sticks" year for CF, with a mix of veterans they were hoping could be flipped and young fringe guys they hoped could take a step forward. Stearns hit with Villar at SS and Carter at 1B, but unfortunately none of the CF guys have shown anything.

I agree it's time to move on, and the answer will probably be Wren, but they probably want to wait to see how the trades pan out before making the move. There is a possibility the answer to this thread will be part of a trade.

Note, I agree with almost all of the initial post except the "time to move Braun to first base..." part. He's the only OF who has done anything this year. He could get traded, but it's not because the mish-mash of guys in the minors are pushing him off the roster or onto 1B. Barring trades, 1B and LF will be our 3/4 hitters next year. Leave them alone... it's most of the other positions we have to worry about :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How about trying Hernan Perez in CF when Santana returns? He's athletic, can run, and has a strong arm, and for a guy with little OF experience, has handled RF pretty well. It's not like infielders haven't successfully transitioned into CF. Robin Yount comes to mind.

Note, I agree with almost all of the initial post except the "time to move Braun to first base..." part. He's the only OF who has done anything this year. He could get traded, but it's not because the mish-mash of guys in the minors are pushing him off the roster or onto 1B. Barring trades, 1B and LF will be our 3/4 hitters next year. Leave them alone... it's most of the other positions we have to worry about :-)

To clarify, the prospective Braun to first base was implied for 2018 and would be contingent upon one of Liriano, Flores, Broxton, Wren, or Reed establishing themselves between now and the end of 2017 and also assuming that Phillips fills current projections as a major league starting CF in 2018. This makes even more sense, factoring in Carter being a FA after the 2017 season.

though with unforeseen injuries and potential trades at the deadline and the winter- anything of course can happen.

How about trying Hernan Perez in CF when Santana returns? He's athletic, can run, and has a strong arm, and for a guy with little OF experience, has handled RF pretty well. It's not like infielders haven't successfully transitioned into CF. Robin Yount comes to mind.

I would have thought that was crazy a month ago but he has actually looked decent in the outfield especially considering he had no previous time there professionally. The Brewers must have seen something in him to even try the outfield and they gave Santana time there last year so why not. Of course third is rather weak right now.

Archived