Brewer Fanatic

Houser has TJ Surgery

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ahhh crud.

Say hi to Taylor Williams and Nathan Kirby...

And Daniel Missaki...the forgotten third player acquired in the Adam Lind trade.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I posted this back in March, and now we can add Adrian Houser to the list. Did we miss anyone in-between Gomez and Houser? We may have if their status was not made public.

Of the players listed on the Brewers' camp roster, yet to be listed on a game roster:

Injured as noted above (all "Tommy John"):

LHP Joan De La Cruz, RHP Victor Diaz, LHP Nathan Kirby, RHP Yosmer Leal, RHP Daniel Missaki, RHP Taylor Williams

We can now add another name to the Tommy John list, as RHP Milton Gomez underwent the procedure this week (Friday 3/25).

The Brewers had scored very well in "Tommy John avoidance" in recent years. Daniel Missaki's surgery took place on the Mariners' watch, and six others may be par for the MLB course these days, but is still cause for concern.

Diaz, if you're a Link Report follower will have noticed, has begun his road back with Maryvale rehab stints.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Carlos Luna- Still haven't seen if it's been confirmed or denied he's had TJ. But he dominated DSL last year, and haven't heard his name since- other than a brief mention that he was put on the DL.

Earlier today I sent Todd Rosiak a request to ask about Luna in his next session with Tom Flanagan.

In March I was told "not Tommy John" (wasn't told if it was even arm-related), and 2-3 month rehab.

I will go with Ponce also. I listened to yesterday's game and he is still throwing in the low 90s getting by with breaking stuff and moving the fastball around. Despite not giving up any runs, he was in trouble the whole game. Just isn't the same pitcher as last year.

I will go with Ponce also. I listened to yesterday's game and he is still throwing in the low 90s getting by with breaking stuff and moving the fastball around. Despite not giving up any runs, he was in trouble the whole game. Just isn't the same pitcher as last year.

That's exactly the guy that pitched in WI last season, I put his radar readings into a LR... with the exception of being consistently in trouble.

edit. I'll guess Medeiros, but I could see Diplan and/or Peralta, I'm not huge fan of the mechanics from any of those young pitchers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That's exactly the guy that pitched in WI last season, I put his radar readings into a LR... with the exception of being consistently in trouble.

edit. I'll guess Medeiros, but I could see Diplan and/or Peralta, I'm not huge fan of the mechanics from any of those young pitchers.

My concern is why is he not throwing as hard this year? It's either some mechanical issue or an injury. Doesn't appear to be mechanics but who knows? I'm not watching, just listening over the radio.

Carlos Luna- Still haven't seen if it's been confirmed or denied he's had TJ. But he dominated DSL last year, and haven't heard his name since- other than a brief mention that he was put on the DL.

Earlier today I sent Todd Rosiak a request to ask about Luna in his next session with Tom Flanagan.

In March I was told "not Tommy John" (wasn't told if it was even arm-related), and 2-3 month rehab.

I appreciate it! I can't keep putting him at #25 on our top prospect list if his arm is shot.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adrian Houser was ‘ready to take off’ before Tommy John surgery

Biloxi Shuckers right-hander Adrian Houser suffered an injury June 23

The former second-round pick underwent Tommy John surgery last week

Houser is expected to miss 12 to 18 months

Patrick Ochs, Biloxi Sun-Herald

Biloxi Shuckers pitching coach Chris Hook feels prized pitcher Adrian Houser was just starting to find his groove.

Then he was struck by what almost seems inevitable in today’s game and will likely be out until the 2018 season.

Against Montgomery on June 23, Houser didn’t feel quite right and was pulled after just four innings with what was initially diagnosed as forearm tightness. He later found out he had a “significant partial tear” to his ulnar collateral ligament.

After receiving several opinions, Houser opted for Tommy John surgery and will likely be out 12 to 18 months as a result of extensive rehab. The Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel’s Todd Rosiak reported Brewers team physician William Raasch performed the procedure in Milwaukee.

“To me when I watch guys, I can see there are times in the season where they really start clicking,” Hook said. “When they start clicking, they just take off. Of course, Jorge (Lopez) had that in mid- to late May last year and just took off for the rest of the season. I think Houser was in that type of mode. It was coming and unfortunately he had that little bump in the road.”

Statistically speaking

Although Houser was just 3-7 on the year with a 5.25 ERA, he had shown a lot of improvement in June, earning the Shuckers Pitcher of the Month honor.

Houser went 1-2 in four starts in June but boasted a 2.35 ERA, allowing six earned runs in 23 innings with three quality starts. He also struck out 20 against six walks while holding opponents to a .253 batting average.

Hook pointed to Houser’s fielding independent pitching — which tries to measure what a player’s ERA would look like with a league average defense behind him — of 3.67 as reason for optimism.

“Houser was ready to take off. He had some bad innings — he didn’t really have bad games — so his ERA and those things were kind of skewed. When you look at the advance metrics, he was right where he needed to be,” Hook said. “We were very encouraged on his stuff and location. His delivery was all getting better and he was the Pitcher of the Month in June, so we know he was coming on.”

Staying positive

Houser has remained upbeat. After the surgery, he tweeted: “This is just a bump in the road that I will work hard to overcome and come back stronger from. It’s a long rehab process, and I’m ready to get to work so I can get back to competing and helping the Brew Crew wherever I can in the future. Go Brew Crew!”

The Brewers also seem confident Houser, who Baseball America ranked as Milwaukee’s 20th best prospect, will bounce back from the injury.

“You realize injuries are part of it and you feel bad when it happens,” Brewers farm director Tom Flanagan told Rosiak. “But at the same time, we know it’s a surgery that has a very high success rate, and we’re confident in our people to rehab Adrian and in Adrian to give the effort he’s going to need.

“In time he’ll do that and get back out there for us.”

According to Baseball America, the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Houser has a 92-94 MPH fastball that tails away from left-handed batters and he mixes in a slider, curveball and changeup.

Archived