Brewer Fanatic

Brewers extend radio rights with 620 WTMJ

No word on the length. WTMJ has been flagship of Brewers for all but 2 of their 47 seasons (1981 and 82).

On a personal level, I'll never forget those 2 years on WISN. I was living in Wheeling, IL, a north suburb of Chicago, and WISN would power down at sunset. One minute I was listening to the game and the next all I got was static. Wasn't too bad when they played out East, but when they were home, I actually got in my car and drove about 15 miles north to hear the last few innings of some games. There were a lot of big games those years too. I got so frustrated that one day I decided to call the Brewers to complain. Expecting some secretary to take my complaint, I was shocked when she put me through to Bud Selig himself. Imagine an owner taking a call from a fan complaining about the radio signal for his team's game? Bud must have spent a good 10-15 minutes on the phone with me discussing the issue and other things with the team. I was always an admirer of Selig for bringing baseball back but chatting with him that one time made me a fan for life.

I don't know what if any affect my call had, but once that agreement with WISN expired, they've been on WTMJ ever since.

I remember Bud talking about going to Chicago and not being able to get games on WISN.

My biggest complaint about WTMJ is that they were behind dumping stations from the network — in particular Marshfield and Wisconsin Rapids. Along with that, a couple of FM stations were dropped in favor of weaker AM stations. It was felt that the Wausau station could cover those areas, but it didn't, and at the time, the Wisconsin Rapids station decided to carry Cubs games. I see that Rhinelander is back on FM, so maybe that helps.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No word on the length. WTMJ has been flagship of Brewers for all but 2 of their 47 seasons (1981 and 82).

On a personal level, I'll never forget those 2 years on WISN. I was living in Wheeling, IL, a north suburb of Chicago, and WISN would power down at sunset. One minute I was listening to the game and the next all I got was static. Wasn't too bad when they played out East, but when they were home, I actually got in my car and drove about 15 miles north to hear the last few innings of some games. There were a lot of big games those years too. I got so frustrated that one day I decided to call the Brewers to complain. Expecting some secretary to take my complaint, I was shocked when she put me through to Bud Selig himself. Imagine an owner taking a call from a fan complaining about the radio signal for his team's game? Bud must have spent a good 10-15 minutes on the phone with me discussing the issue and other things with the team. I was always an admirer of Selig for bringing baseball back but chatting with him that one time made me a fan for life.

I don't know what if any affect my call had, but once that agreement with WISN expired, they've been on WTMJ ever since.

Awesome story.

Archived