Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

patrickgpe
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Giannis just turned 22 and is arguably top 10 in the league (easily top 10 defensively) and getting better. He is doing things at 22 that very few NBA players have ever done at that age. I'm not sure people realize how good this kid is.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree homer...the Bucks desperately have needed a superstar for a long, long time.

I just hope we do everything we possibly can to keep this kind of talent in Milwaukee his entire career. He alone makes the Bucks worth watching regardless of the team's record.

I watched a lot of games in Giannis' rookie year (the tank year) just because of him. The thing I find the most intriguing about him (besides his crazy athleticism that I'm not sure the NBA has ever seen before) is his work ethic. He keeps getting better and better. He appears to have a drive that only the true greats have. I just hope we don't act like the normal Bucks and somehow screw this up.

Hard to believe that Giannis is second all time in triple doubles in bucks history and is only 1 behind Kareeem.

Yes and no. Any way you slice it, it is impressive. At the same time though, the game has changed. For decades PG got assists, not big scorers or rebounders. SG and small forwards usually weren't big assist or rebound guys, etc. There were plenty of guys capable of triple doubles over the years, but the game was just played differently.

Giannis has started taking jumpshots and threes this year, which is great. But they don't look very fluid and he's still not making a large percentage of them. But the fact that he's even attempting them is helping his game tremendously. If he can just make even marginal strides there the next couple years - and just become close to an average three point shooter - LOOK OUT. The rest of his game is already top 10 NBA caliber. This would legit put him in the elite of the elite IMO.

Parker isn't really that close yet, but he's definitely getting better and developing rapidly. Different type of player, but the two of them together could be quite formidable.

As others have said, the supporting cast isn't great. But hopefully they can piece that together in the next couple of years and we could really be on to something.

Also....the fear is already creeping into my head that this will all be for naught. That these guys will become stars and promptly leave Milwaukee. Hope not and that's 3-4 years away at least. But it would suck to finally get a legit superstar and have him leave town.

Well you should have both for at least 5 more years just based on the way NBA contracts work out. Have to think Giannis will have loyalty to MKE for taking a shot on him and the way they've helped out his family. Jabari obviously has ties to Chicago but MKE is the next closest thing to his hometown, so that's a plus.

I'd be more worried about management screwing up the build around them though, and wouldn't really blame them to leave if that's the case. The Plumlee contract is a perfect example of just horrific management that might snakebite them down the line. That deal has basically made the Bucks capped out for the next 4 years. Having that terrible contract could cost them a key role player they need at contention time.

Giannis is signed through 2020-2021

And the Bucks bench has been one of the better ones in the league. I think they are top 10 per some rankings.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am expecting 2017-2018 to be the breakout year assuming no injuries or significant trades. Giannis and Parker are one year older and Middleton is back. Couple that with continued growth from Brogdon and whoever they get in the upcoming draft I see a ton of potential. And that is not even assuming Maker amounts to anything. IF Maker turns into even a league average player that upside on this team is just crazy.

Too bad they are wasting so much salary on Plumlee, I assume they would be in a better position to add a piece or two this offseason if he weren't signed to such a stupid contract.

Giannis has started taking jumpshots and threes this year, which is great. But they don't look very fluid and he's still not making a large percentage of them. But the fact that he's even attempting them is helping his game tremendously. If he can just make even marginal strides there the next couple years - and just become close to an average three point shooter - LOOK OUT. The rest of his game is already top 10 NBA caliber. This would legit put him in the elite of the elite IMO.

Interestingly, Giannis best year shooing 3s was his rookie year, believe it or not. Shot 35%, which isn't all that bad- especially for a rookie. I've seen him get in groove shooting 3s in warm-ups, draining a bunch in a row. So he can do it, but a whole other matter doing it consistently in games.

Thing is, if he isn't a 28-30 point guy that's ok with me. He does so many other things for you. I almost rather have Jabari and Middleton share in the scoring role, and let Giannis be a triple double machine. By the way, Jabai has improved his three ball, and I could see him improving that shot as time goes on.

Interestingly, Giannis best year shooing 3s was his rookie year, believe it or not. Shot 35%, which isn't all that bad- especially for a rookie. I've seen him get in groove shooting 3s in warm-ups, draining a bunch in a row. So he can do it, but a whole other matter doing it consistently in games.

Thing is, if he isn't a 28-30 point guy that's ok with me. He does so many other things for you. I almost rather have Jabari and Middleton share in the scoring role, and let Giannis be a triple double machine. By the way, Jabai has improved his three ball, and I could see him improving that shot as time goes on.

I hadn't realized that. I guess my point was that he's at least attempting the shot more - not with a ton of success but he's attempting a full attempt per game more than last season. So at least he's starting to take them. His second year he took less than 1 a game because he couldn't make them. And when defenders sag off of him, it makes all the other great things he does that much harder.

Doesn't it seem like he does OK if he takes the shot in some sort of flow, but if he hesitates at all it at all it is has the potential to look like I took the shot? I've only seen the games on TV so my perspective is limited, but from what I've seen if he pulls-up on the break or takes catch-and-shoot jumper not only does the shot look good but he makes them at a pretty good clip. However, if he hesitates at all before shooting everything gets slow and mechanical and that is when he'll be short or wide right by a foot.

If that's the case, I am encouraged, because as he gains confidence and matures he's going to take less of those slow-motion jumpers that he almost never makes anyways and more natural shots that he does make at a decent clip.

Regardless, I think he's approaching best athlete in the state territory. I know Rodgers has done it better for longer, but Giannis is really good and getting better day by day.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Giannis is probably pretty close to equaling Big Dog or Ray alone, especially the Ray we had (he got better overall after he left). Parker is less than either Big Dog or Ray right now. But I think Giannis can be far better than either one. I saw someone estimate his peak at a cross between LeBron and Nowitzki. Lofty, yes, but plausible given that he is still so young and has made such huge strides lately.

I maybe remembering incorrectly but didn't Nowitzki come into the league without a mid range jump shot? If am remembering correctly comparing Giannis with Nowitzki is very appropriate.

Annoying that in the last two losses we've blown some big leads. Hope we can close some of these games out!

They should try playing defense. Usually does the trick.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Annoying that in the last two losses we've blown some big leads. Hope we can close some of these games out!

They should try playing defense. Usually does the trick.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't get to watch Bucks games because I"m not in state and don't have League Pass. I'm just curious what the general take is on the team so far to this point. I'm also curious what the take is on Parker.

Parker is coming around, people forget that he and Giannis are only 21. The team is playing better than expectations and has an outside chance of a top 4 seed in the east. Giannis is pretty much an all star lock, i agree Brogden will be in the rookie game. My only complaint is still what i said on draft day, bucks should have drafted Sabonis over Maker.

I dunno, I have a good feeling about Maker. I know they're working hard with him, he could be an unbelievable X-Factor for them off the bench a year or two from now. The rewards of that pick are going to require patience. There is absolutely no one better for him to learn from and emulate than Giannis.

I dunno, I have a good feeling about Maker. I know they're working hard with him, he could be an unbelievable X-Factor for them off the bench a year or two from now. The rewards of that pick are going to require patience. There is absolutely no one better for him to learn from and emulate than Giannis.

i agree with you somewhat, i do feel that the bucks hit the jackpot with Giannis and then drafted the youngest player in the draft the last 2 seasons, with minimal success. If he grows into his body, maintains his 3 point ability, and can play inside, we may have something.

Right now the bucks can be patient with Maker as they have plenty of big guys to rotate in and out as well.

I was pretty impressed by Maker in the pre-season. He looks like Manute Bol out there being so tall and skinny, but he actually moves well and shoots smoother than Giannis. Things look very natural for him. Certainly he needs a year or two to put on muscle, but the guy looks every bit the part of an NBA ball-player.

I think the team could possibly win a 1st round series depending on the matchup; they would have little chance advancing beyond that against CLE or TOR though.

With Middleton back next year and maybe a FA or draft pick or two they really should be competing for a Top 3 seed.

Archived