Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

patrickgpe
  • Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, who are the big international players in the draft this year? That seems to be the Buck's MO.

funny that you mention that, i was just going to post this, looks like there is another Thon Maker in this years draft. anyone not think this isn't going to be the pick:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Isaiah-Hartenstein-81574/

Kind of been leaning more and more toward Thornwell from South Car in the 2nd round. Feel like you could probably let Snell go and he could step in pretty much right away as a 3 and D guy, kind of be this year's Brogdon

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So, who are the big international players in the draft this year? That seems to be the Buck's MO.

funny that you mention that, i was just going to post this, looks like there is another Thon Maker in this years draft. anyone not think this isn't going to be the pick:

Just so we don't draft him and trade him to Dallas!

Hartenstein is someone I think fits the Hammonds type of a draft pick at least with Maker and Giannis. Hartenstein's offense reminds me a little bit of Parker's offense. Terrence Ferguson and Hamidou Diallo are also project like picks and I believe the Bucks have been connected with Diallo as he has done a workout for them. I would prefer Hartenstein over those two.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/magic-expected-to-add-john-hammond-as-gm.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

When Weltman was hired, i was worried this was going to happen. Say what you want about Hammond, for the most part he was a good drafter and when he made free agent mistakes he always seemed to be able to fix them and come out of them OK. i hope McKinney isn't leaving too.

The timing of it isn't ideal with the draft only about a month away. Puts the Bucks in a bit of a bind if he takes anyone with him.

My guess is they'll promote from within.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The timing of it isn't ideal with the draft only about a month away. Puts the Bucks in a bit of a bind if he takes anyone with him.

My guess is they'll promote from within.

they have a GM in waiting, who was set to take over in the 18-19 season anyway. my concern is that Billy McKinney and Dave Babcock follow John to Orlando, which really puts the bucks behind the 8 ball for next months draft.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/magic-expected-to-add-john-hammond-as-gm.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

When Weltman was hired, i was worried this was going to happen. Say what you want about Hammond, for the most part he was a good drafter and when he made free agent mistakes he always seemed to be able to fix them and come out of them OK. i hope McKinney isn't leaving too.

He chose the first guy ever in the top 10 to not be extended to his 4th season, then chose Stephen Jackson and Tobias Harris over Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard. He also failed to convince ownership that Steph Curry was more valuable than Monta Ellis.

There's a running idea amongst Bucks fans that every good deal that happened was Hammond, and every bad deal that happened was Kidd or Kohl (not directed at you, but in general). It's a miracle that Hammond could only convince them of the good things, and not how stupid all those bad deals were.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

i never said Hammond was perfect, and hasn't exactly killed it at Free agency signings. He did draft Giannis, Thon, and Bragdon though and proved to be very good about erasing his free agency mistakes.

While i am happy that they are not just limiting themselves to Zanik,

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19453220/milwaukee-bucks-launch-full-search-new-general-manager

ESPN floated the idea of David Griffin, but i can't see it, since he couldnt' be drafted until days before the draft and why would he leave cleveland for milwaukee, until ownership backs up the brinks truck.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/david-griffin-candidate-bucks-gm-job/371380

I guess Zanik is still in charge of the draft....I can't imagine he's too happy right now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My guess is it'll still be Zanik. And they've probably explained that to him as well. They're just doing their due diligence (do they have to? I know NFL for example makes them do interviews for certain positions and things like that).

Gery Woefel was reporting that Zanik's contract calls out that if he is not the next GM he will make as much as the next GM, seems like thats a good sign that he will be the man.

http://hoopshype.com/rumor/1115742/

i also do not see the desire to hire Griffin, he wouldn't be anywhere without LeBron. He was gifted the #1 pick to use to acquire Love and his big coaching hire was Blatt. looks like Lue was a good choice, but he was simply an assistant that was promoted.

i never said Hammond was perfect, and hasn't exactly killed it at Free agency signings. He did draft Giannis, Thon, and Bragdon though and proved to be very good about erasing his free agency mistakes.

He also turned Brandon Jennings into Khris Middleton and Brandon Knight.

Knight turned into MCW, Ennis, and Plumlee who turned into Snell, Beasley, Hawes.

Essentially Jennings for Middleton, Snell, Beasley, and Hawes. Pretty good trade.

For a guy who drafted Giannis, Thon, Parker, and Brogdon, plus traded for Middleton and Snell in steals, there sure is a lot of unwarranted hatred of Hammond. These will be the same people pining away for him in the future when they look back with the benefit of hindsight as to where he left us as a franchise. I really liked his vision in the draft.

He's left us in as good of a shape as you can imagine. For where we were a few years ago with the two idiots at guard and not much else, our hopelessness has turned into unbridled optimism.

For a guy who drafted Giannis, Thon, Parker, and Brogdon, plus traded for Middleton and Snell in steals, there sure is a lot of unwarranted hatred of Hammond. These will be the same people pining away for him in the future when they look back with the benefit of hindsight as to where he left us as a franchise. I really liked his vision in the draft.

He's left us in as good of a shape as you can imagine. For where we were a few years ago with the two idiots at guard and not much else, our hopelessness has turned into unbridled optimism.

Yep, he's been great at getting out of his own messes. He's made, what, 4 good moves outside of the draft in 9 years.

2 winning seasons, 0 playoff series wins.

Regularly dumped 2nd round picks for nothing when the draft is supposed to be his selling point.

And, again, for being this great talent evaluator, he traded down and passed on Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard to acquire Stephen Jackson.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Before you start counting winning seasons, you have to keep in mind he will get a portion of credit for the future seasons that he has set up. So, that grade is an incomplete. In 2020, if this core wins 55 games and makes a deep run, Hammond will have been a big part of that. That's what I mean by the benefit of hindsight when we see what this group ends up doing.

Whatever mistakes he made, they led to where we are now, and you're not disputing we are in a good spot to jump forward from here.

Not to mention that if you are looking for a perfect GM that never passed on a great player for a so-so one, you will have a short list. He made some questionable moves at times, but he made some very good ones too.

from Adrian Wojnarowski

Sources: Bucks GM search called for permission today on Pete Dinwiddie (IND), Arturas Karnisovas (DEN), Ed Stefanski (MEM), Wes Wilcox (ATL)

I know Stefanski was a candidate for the assistant GM position and worked with Kidd and Thorn in NJ. not sure who the other guys are.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2017/5/30/15716970/report-milwaukee-bucks-call-for-permission-on-several-different-gm-candidates

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-bucks-three-gm-candidates-030009406.html

If it is between Karnisovas, Wilcox, and Zanik, i hope they just go with Zanik. I really don't want anything to do with Wilcox and i am intrigued with Karnisovas as Denver has assembled some good young talent but still seems like a question mark. Seems like this whole process was pointless and could have just angered Zanik.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-bucks-three-gm-candidates-030009406.html

If it is between Karnisovas, Wilcox, and Zanik, i hope they just go with Zanik. I really don't want anything to do with Wilcox and i am intrigued with Karnisovas as Denver has assembled some good young talent but still seems like a question mark. Seems like this whole process was pointless and could have just angered Zanik.

I think and hope they'll just go with Zanik. I wonder if they like him enough to have been exploring the possibility of Zanik president of basketball ops + a gm from outside. Could explain the weird process. Just speculation.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Archived