Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

patrickgpe

Kidd and his rotations are a bit baffling sometimes. Take the other night (I think Saturday but could have been Friday). Giannis scored 18 in the first 11 minutes. Then promptly sits on the bench until the under 6 timeout of the second quarter. Guy is on fire, they can't guard him, and we put him on the bench for over 7 game minutes. Why???

And with the bigs all sucking, we can't find consistent minutes for Maker - at least 6-10 a game?

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kidd and his rotations are a bit baffling sometimes. Take the other night (I think Saturday but could have been Friday). Giannis scored 18 in the first 11 minutes. Then promptly sits on the bench until the under 6 timeout of the second quarter. Guy is on fire, they can't guard him, and we put him on the bench for over 7 game minutes. Why???

And with the bigs all sucking, we can't find consistent minutes for Maker - at least 6-10 a game?

I agree his rotations overall are baffling game to game on what he does. However, I see these complaints about Giannis and Jabari a lot but that is really the only consistent plan he has every game and sticks to it. Basically, yea Giannis was dominating but he can't play 18 straight minutes. It used to be Giannis would come out with 6ish to go in the first, then come in for Jabari around the quarter break. Now they've generally flipped that and use some discretion as to which one is scoring well and/or fouls. So in that case, Giannis was dominating so he got to ride out the Q isntead of Jabari, good coaching decision. I would agree that he should have been brought back sooner though as PHX started making a run. I'm just saying this is a clear rotation plan that most teams use and stick to, nothing to bash him on there.

Also, as a fan I don't want Giannis playing 41 mins a game right now to beat him up for future seasons so I like the way they're doing it and the clear plan to always have one of G/J on the court by staggering their minutes. This is something OKC coaches were too dumb to figure out for years with KD and Russ after Harden was gone to anchor the bench. I think second half last year they started staggering them and shockingly it was their best run post Harden.

He doesn't adjust to the game flow at all. He basically designates rest periods and never wavers from them no matter how the game is going. It's one of the dumbest things he does.

His rotations for surrounding pieces is tough to figure it out and seems like he's winging it game to game. What you guys are complaining about doesn't quite make sense. One end you're saying it doesn't make sense because it changes so much. Next you're saying he should wing it by game flow. In reality, most good teams have a fixed rotation every game pretty darn close to the minute and then adjust based on fouls. Essentially, what he's doing with G/J is extremely common and not something to bash him about. He actually should be doing it with everyone so guys get consistency to who they're playing with, instead of winging it each game like he does with everyone besides G/J. you guys seem to be arguing for winging it each game, which can lead to chaos which is what's happening in MKE. It's what's leading to Moose sometime having to play 18 straight minutes to finish a game and other dumb stuff.

I don't know that it's dumb. And right or wrong, all NBA coaches do this. Much like a pitching staff, NBA players need to know their roles, when they get playing time, etc. If you just stick with the hot hand, Giannis will end up playing 48 minutes in most games, and Parker in many. (That's extreme, but you get the point.)

It's a long season, and you need the bench to contribute. One thing Kidd does that I love, is that he WILL go with the hot line-up at the end of games. There's really nothing set there at all, could be anyone in there for the final stretch.

His rotations for surrounding pieces is tough to figure it out and seems like he's winging it game to game. What you guys are complaining about doesn't quite make sense. One end you're saying it doesn't make sense because it changes so much. Next you're saying he should wing it by game flow. In reality, most good teams have a fixed rotation every game pretty darn close to the minute and then adjust based on fouls. Essentially, what he's doing with G/J is extremely common and not something to bash him about. He actually should be doing it with everyone so guys get consistency to who they're playing with, instead of winging it each game like he does with everyone besides G/J. you guys seem to be arguing for winging it each game, which can lead to chaos which is what's happening in MKE. It's what's leading to Moose sometime having to play 18 straight minutes to finish a game and other dumb stuff.

What I'm saying is that it's fine to stick to "normal" rotations, but you have to be able to adjust. When you have a guy come out on fire, scoring 18 points in the first 10-11 minutes of the game, you don't take him out for the next SEVEN game minutes (including a quarter break and 2 media time outs). He's on fire, let him ride it out. I know he needs a break, but come on, that's just too long to put someone that hot on the bench. Especially as Phoenix makes a run and started cutting into the Bucks lead. Having a set plan is fine, but game flow is something that warrants attention as well.

Yea I said he should've been back a minute or two earlier as well, and he normally does come back a bit sooner than that. I remember thinking it at the time as well, I don't recall if there was just no deadballs or what but I remember thinking as they got hot he needs to get back in. That 1-2 minute flexibility is normally what they do. My guess is Kidd forgot he went out with 1 min left in the first rather than at the Q break. But if anything he often ends up riding Giannis too much. Many times this year what you're saying would apply to Jabari too, where he goes out like he should but sit longer than ideal. But again, this is by design to keep their minutes under 35ish. If you start riding these guys too much you'll break them down by age 26 like Thibs did to the Bulls. Now, 3 years from now when it's 'go for the title' time then maybe more criticism on this makes sense.

Also, I hate Kidd as much as the next guy, and did before they hired him due to his wife beating days. Seems like a good skills mentor for the guys but his Xs and Os on both sides are horrible. At the very least he needs new assistants. I'm just saying this is one thing he's really not messing up in regards to G/J but I hear a lot of casual fans don't get the fixed rotation that is common

Bucks have been rumored to have wanted Rubio for a long time. He's got an even bigger contract than Henson. So hopefully they're sure. I guess that would mean moving Giannis off of the PG spot though. Are they really done with that after the numbers he's put up this year? I guess they could move him to SG instead.

Rubio is a very good distributor - over 8 assists a game, not a great shooter though. But with Giannis, Parker and Middleton, they wouldn't need him to score much. Be an interesting move. If that's the real offer, with no picks involved, I'd take that pretty quickly. Henson is a backup and doesn't really fit here. Delly is just another guy to me.

While Id love to get rid of those contracts, the last thing we need is another guy who cant shoot.

I have read that LeBron wishes they still had Delly. I wish we would just trade him for future draft picks and be done with it.

We are one of those teams that rarely trade for picks, we are always trading for contracts with older guys that we need to dump a year later.

Yea, it's frustrating. But the problem is, nobody is willing to give up a draft pick for any of the Bucks junk contracts they have tried to move in the past, or present. So expect more trades involving one bad contract for another.

Youd think they'd get creative and trade for future picks, even if it is 4-5 years. We sort of did that with the guard from the clippers when we took on his contract, then immediately traded the pick away for that back up PG.

We could also pick up a bad contract along with a pick but we'd rather trade for that bad contract on our own.

So much facepalm.

He wiggled out of 1 long term for 2 short term bad contracts. That was a spectacular trade. He traded a dead rat in the wall for two rotten fish on a table. You can throw the fish out, and the smell will dissipate fairly quickly, that rat behind the wall is going to stink for years.

If he wasn't so bad at FA, he wouldn't have to work magic on the trade wire. I'm good with his draft, I'm good with his trades, but man does he strike out a lot on FA.

He wiggled out of 1 long term for 2 short term bad contracts. That was a spectacular trade. He traded a dead rat in the wall for two rotten fish on a table. You can throw the fish out, and the smell will dissipate fairly quickly, that rat behind the wall is going to stink for years.

If he wasn't so bad at FA, he wouldn't have to work magic on the trade wire. I'm good with his draft, I'm good with his trades, but man does he strike out a lot on FA.

The problem was he was the guy that put the rat in the wall in the first place. That gif of the guy perpetually cleaning up after himself has never been more accurate.

Yes, the Charlotte trade was amazing. Im assuming they are tanking for the next two drafts and we benefited from that.

I just wish we were that team that took on a bad contract with a first round pick attached down the road rather than signing the bad contract that needs to be immediately dumped in the first place.

We agree on that, he is excellent at burying rats in the wall.

I'm not sure why they don't grab more first rounders. I am all for snagging late firsts to draft and stash overseas. Maybe they just deal with teams that don't have the assets. I don't think we can get a first from Cleveland at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Milwaukee just can't have nice things.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While it certainly looked bad, and I'd guess a torn ACL again, we'll just have to wait and see what the MRI says. Expecting the worst, but it's not impossible that he avoided that.

If he did, man, that one stings. And it's a real question as to if he can come back and be even remotely the same player coming off two torn ACL surgeries.

Better draft pick coming for the Bucks hopefully. They still need a lot of help.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Also, no Jason Kidd at post-game press conf. Probably nothing, but very strange comment from Hammond that they were having a "basketball discussion." Also odd, because obviously that conversation was over if Hammond appeared and made a comment.

Boston, Philly, Miami, and others in a very similar situation as the Bucks a couple years back. They are all soaring, Bucks in disaster mode. Yet Hammond, Kidd, etc. are still around.

Archived