Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

patrickgpe

This team is really lucky both Giannis and Jabari made the leap to the next level stardom because their other moves have been borderline insane.

Those big contracts will be a real problem for this team. It will be up to Kidd to find roles for these guys that highlight what little they are good at and still allow our big 3 (once Middleton comes back) to do their thing.

Im hoping they dont do anything at the deadline to trade away a pick to bring in a vet.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honest poll question: Do you see the Bucks winning a championship in the next 10 years?

With the current power structure in the organization?

Nope.

They suffer from a complete lack of forward thinking and an inability to evaluate talent.

I waited to answer my own poll question so that I didn't influence anyone's answer, but you pretty much summed up my opinion.

From about 2004-2010, I listened to nearly every Bucks' game on the radio. I was all in for teams that finished well below .500. Finally, in 2010, my patience was rewarded with the "Fear the Deer" team. The loss of Bogut late in the season prevented them from advancing to the second round of the playoffs, but that was a fun team. I eagerly waited to see how Hammond would reload the team for the next campaign and on the first day of free agency, he paid Drew Gooden $32 million on a 5-year deal (which is probably about $75 million in today's NBA). I was crushed, but didn't become totally jaded until statewide public financing was used to help pay for a new arena. I'm generally not opposed to some types of public financing, but the Packers went to the state for help back in 2000 and came up empty. Brown County, with about 250,000 residents, shouldered the burden of the Lambeau Field sales tax alone.

Sounds like Miles Plumlee for Roy Hibbert and Spencer Hawes.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/bucks-agree-to-trade-miles-plumlee-to-hornets.html

Looks like trying to clear some cap space, Hibbert is on a 1 year $5m deal, and Hawes is making about $6.3M this year, and a touch over $6m next year. Honestly not sure why Charlotte is doing this, as we save a bunch of money for next year, and completely get these contracts off the books two offseasons from now. Hoping we aren't giving up any substantial picks as well.

Allows Hammond to shed an awful contract. Hawes may be useful, as he can at least stretch the floor a bit. The corpse of Roy Hibbert should reside firmly on the end of the bench. As long as we don't have to send along picks, it's a pretty good move. Even if we give up a 2, I can live with it.

Yea, feel like I'm missing something. Why would Charlotte want that contract?? If this is it, how can you not love this deal! Hibbert gone at the end of the year, and at worst Hawes would be a 1 yr $6MM man next year, or easily traded. Hope the phone rings on Monroe, Henson, Tely, and Dely. Lots of dead weight to move yet, but Plumley is a good start.

Steve Novak was released to clear the extra roster space.

Not sure why Charlotte would pick up more salary for a guy who wasn't producing, but I'm thinking maybe there were some rumors floating around the League that he was unhappy for whatever reason and just stopped trying.

Seems like a huge win to me even if Hibbert and Hawes don't contribute. Save some money for resigning Snell. Also hope that this means they're committed to continue giving Thon Maker 10 min a game. He's still a major liability on defense, but he does seem to be improving. Might as well keep trying to develop him while we chase an 8 seed.

i love this move even though i would expect it to have little advantage in 2017, but it allows the bucks to move another bad RFA deal off of the books and the bucks could be totally clear in the summer if Hawes doesn't pick up his option. I just wish the new GM will learn to not negotiate against yourself in restricted free agency.

Hibbert does remind me a little bit of Moose, who didn't fit in the bucks system, Hawes is more of a Plumlee guy who i am sure will see some minutes. I hope this means that Maker will continue to get a bump in minutes as the bucks build for next season.

Has Kidd lost this team? Lost 9 out of 10 now. Reminds me of the Scott Skiles days. First year, everyone played hard on defense, played as a team on offense, and they had a surprisingly good year. Then it went south fast.

Now look at Kidd. First year, great start. Last year they took a step back. Now this year after a mediocre start, they are free falling. If this team is good enough to beat the Cavs, Spurs, Rockets, etc. and battle the Warriors to the end it tells you there's more talent here than their record. There's got to be something going on in the locker room, and that something can't be good.

The defensive system is just terrible, that's the biggest problem. I don't understand how coaches in this era think a D designed to allow corner 3s is a good idea. Teams have figured it out and just pick us apart with wide open 3s from the corner. They got a bunch of lengthy players so they can switch on D,but then run a systems that sends 3 guys at a PNR instead of just switching it. Which leaves the corner 3 wide open. And it certainly seems to me the players have quit on the system, they know it doesn't work and they physically can't do it. They look noticeably frustrated by it too, so I would say this is bordering on quitting on the coach type situation right now.

Offensive systems is also trash, but it's the least of our concerns right now since Giannis's open court abilities mask it.

They are a 2 man team (3 when KM is healthy), and they are riding their horses hard. These are the doldrum months of the NBA. The excitement of the new season is over, and we're not at the playoff push yet. I don't think much of Kidd as a coach, I don't think he's an innovator. He hasn't been around the coaching game enough to learn what works, or steal from others. Part of the benefit of being an asst. coach first is learning from others, forming your own hybrid from different styles, and then (hopefully) using that hybrid to dominate until others figure you out. I'm sure he's good at developing skills, but he's just not a good in game coach. He doesn't seem to be able to adapt. It would help to have a visionary at this point, a D'Antoni type willing to try anything. You have a completely unique talent, you need someone willing to truly experiment on how to use him, and turn Parker into Scottie Pippen.

The defensive system is just terrible, that's the biggest problem. I don't understand how coaches in this era think a D designed to allow corner 3s is a good idea. Teams have figured it out and just pick us apart with wide open 3s from the corner. They got a bunch of lengthy players so they can switch on D,but then run a systems that sends 3 guys at a PNR instead of just switching it. Which leaves the corner 3 wide open. And it certainly seems to me the players have quit on the system, they know it doesn't work and they physically can't do it. They look noticeably frustrated by it too, so I would say this is bordering on quitting on the coach type situation right now.

Offensive systems is also trash, but it's the least of our concerns right now since Giannis's open court abilities mask it.

It takes not just length for this defensive system to work, but also five really smart defenders on the court and if any off ball defenders blow assignments, things fall apart and guys are left wide open for threes.

So they pretty much got nothing for Brandon Knight?

To think we could have had a high lottery pick for him.

I supported Kidds ability to judge MCW at the time, but its clear he has no idea what he is doing judging talent.

I rarely get to see games on TV, but I caught the Denver one the other night. Holy cow what an abomination on defense. Is the scheme to just stand in the lane and run at any player on the perimeter / jump for a block? Parker out there smiling away as he jacks a 3 and then doesn't get back (or crash the boards) and allows a fast break dunk also stands out to me.

They look to me to be on cruise control. They've been told there's a pretty stadium coming, that they're going to be good for how long now, and they know it too. We need a vet who will kick them in the *** and tell them coasting isn't acceptable. Roy Hibbert ain't gonna be that guy either lol.

I rarely get to see games on TV, but I caught the Denver one the other night. Holy cow what an abomination on defense. Is the scheme to just stand in the lane and run at any player on the perimeter / jump for a block? Parker out there smiling away as he jacks a 3 and then doesn't get back (or crash the boards) and allows a fast break dunk also stands out to me.

They look to me to be on cruise control. They've been told there's a pretty stadium coming, that they're going to be good for how long now, and they know it too. We need a vet who will kick them in the *** and tell them coasting isn't acceptable. Roy Hibbert ain't gonna be that guy either lol.

Or maybe it'll come in the form of this guy Khris Middleton playing his 1st games of the season.

I think what's happening now is the rotation of the bodies on the court. Who's starting Delly or Brogdon? Henson or Monroe? When they play Terry for Snell. Just that certain 5 men on the court and lose track of who's in charge, what's the weakness of those 5men, and what's the strength.

Beasley can be great one game gets in over 10 shot attempts. And then a few games he's only getting 4 attempts. Any time Rashard Vaughn is on the court or Thon Maker the confusion with both is massive. Terry averages 17mins a game. 5 FG attempts a game. His offensive play is so one dimensional that you don't really concern yourself to much with him. Defensively you can be more aggressive in the middle and around the rim. Offensively, Terry plays so small, shoot over, dribble past and pass out. Again, it's a personnel on the court where he's fine at times, or he's exposed.

At some point minutes will have to be less distributed and you run 7guys out more often vs 9-10. With Middleton returning, maybe that is the answer to that. Less Snell/Terry/Henson on the court. More cohesive unit in Guard, Giannis, Parker, Middleton, and center.

Here's hoping Middleton makes his first jumper and the team just gels and takes off from this stretch. Only the Pacers are above .500 in the next 5games, they could win them all and be almost to .500 again and likely back in the 7 or 8th seed right before the AS break.

Bucks have been rumored to have wanted Rubio for a long time. He's got an even bigger contract than Henson. So hopefully they're sure. I guess that would mean moving Giannis off of the PG spot though. Are they really done with that after the numbers he's put up this year? I guess they could move him to SG instead.

Rubio is a very good distributor - over 8 assists a game, not a great shooter though. But with Giannis, Parker and Middleton, they wouldn't need him to score much. Be an interesting move. If that's the real offer, with no picks involved, I'd take that pretty quickly. Henson is a backup and doesn't really fit here. Delly is just another guy to me.

One thing I've been frustrated with this year is how little Giannis is actually playing PG, it's way less than the second half last year. For obvious reasons, you have Delly and Brogdon so you're using them as PGs. I'd rather go back to full Giannis PG mode with Delly spotted up shooting (like we all thought would be plan) rather than a bunch of PG/Henson high post PnR type stuff. I guess overall this just a bigger overall complaint of their terrible half court offensive system.

I'll say that with a dynamic real PG who can run PnR well that Giannis would be the ultimate weapon as a screener. We don't have that though, but if we insist on Delly/Brogdon handling the ball a lot I'd sure prefer Giannis as the screener than Henson.

I can see Giannis/Middleton being a great PnR option, with Middleton being the screener. If defense tries to go over it, Giannis is in the lane doing nasty Giannis things. If defense plays under it, lots of open looks for Middleton. They should be doing some of that already with Giannis/Parker.

The rotations are frustrating because with most of their roster you don't know what you're going to get on any given night. Or even within a game. A guy like Mirza can go 4-4 from three in his first half run, then go 0-4 in the 2nd half. Same thing with Dely and Snell. Maker needs more minutes, he's a legit 3 point threat and at least run around and use his length on defense.

Archived