Brewer Fanatic

Insider Stuff

splitterpfj

I'm not going to tell you who just called me - believe me or don't.

On David Stearns ... "He's brilliant, the Brewers have hired Theo Epstein."

On Jeremy Jeffress ... "The Brewers love him, and they should. Not only is he as good as they hoped he would be; he's also a solid person. He has three years of team control left, it will take a Ken Giles return for them to let him go, I don't think he'll be traded."

On Ryan Braun ... "Not right now, it's just too much to sort out. He's worth it, and teams know it, but they don't want to pay the price. Ask again in the winter."

On Jonathan Lucroy .... "He's a goner. Texas is trying to get creative, which is not what the Brewers are asking for, and there are other teams behind them in the mix."

On Will Smith .... "Gone. The demand is there."

On Jimmy Nelson .... "The Brewers made an attempt to send him to Boston for Anderson Espinoza. They aren't, "shopping him", but they'd do a deal."

On Brandon Woodruff: "He's the best player in Brevard. I didn't know him, and then the first time I saw him, he was 96-99, and I said, WHO IS THAT?" He'll be a big leaguer."

On Johnny Davis: "There are fast runners, and then there are guys beyond that. Davis is one of the fastest runners you're going to find. The Brewers may have found something there, even though he's already 26. He reminds me of Darren Ford, he might make it to the big leagues just on the wheels."

On the Houston Astros: "You watch, the Brewers will make a trade there. I don't have names for you, but you watch, Stearns will make one of those deals where he gets a bunch of 19-year-olds he had brought into that system. His approach is brilliant, the lower you're willing to go in the minor leagues, the better the athletes you can get in a trade. He knows that."

On the Aaron Hill Trade: "That was outstanding. Hill was an afterthought, even in April when he wasn't hitting a thing. The Brewers got exactly what they had hoped for from Hill."

Closing Thoughts: "Todd, the Brewers are going to be really bad for a little while here, but if they have the patience to let Stearns see it through, he has a true vision for what he's doing, and he's years ahead of the curve. When they hired someone that young, I wasn't sure, but I am now."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This post made me drool. It also made me do other things I can't mention on this board.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On Ryan Braun ... "Not right now, it's just too much to sort out. He's worth it, and teams know it, but they don't want to pay the price. Ask again in the winter."

On Jonathan Lucroy .... "He's a goner. Texas is trying to get creative, which is not what the Brewers are asking for, and there are other teams behind them in the mix."

On Jimmy Nelson .... "The Brewers made an attempt to send him to Boston for Anderson Espinoza. They aren't, "shopping him", but they'd do a deal."

Not really surprised by the Braun comments.

Kind of what I expected what Texas is trying to do. I am going to assume the other teams behind Texas are Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland, and Houston.

Interesting note on Jimmy Nelson I wonder if the Red Sox called and asked what it would take and felt Pomeranz was a better fit when giving up Espinoza.

This post made me drool. It also made me do other things I can't mention on this board.

Me too, thanks for sharing, this is all GREAT to hear.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'm into this post

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Curious if you directed the conversation (raising topics/ names) or if you just went with the flow. Can you answer that??

A little surprised nothing noted on Arcia & others still in AAA (plans on coming up) or Chris Carter...

Some of each.

Who's getting recalled when never came up.

All he said on Carter was, "I'm sure they'd listen, he's not a longterm piece, but I haven't heard anything." That doesn't mean nothing's come up, but if it has, he hasn't heard it yet.

I left one out, he doesn't think the team has interest in moving Thornburg either - again, not that they wouldn't, but that it isn't likely.

Thank you for answering. Like others I really like thread. A number of great info items in it.

One more question: in the original post, as part of the closing thoughts it was written that the Brewers will be bad for a little while.

Does that mean "bad/not contending for the post season" for 1 more or 3 more or 5 more seasons???

I've believed the rebuild (this year being year 1) is a 5 year race with Cinci. Loser of that race is in bad position for 10 years or longer. Part of that is due to divisional strength, part of that due to situation with the farm system (very poor before the trades started last season).

Did you mean the Rangers are getting creative and that's what they want? Because you listed that's what they don't want and they are the leader for Lucroy. Which would not make a ton of sense since he is a "goner".

Plush, I can see why you took it that way, but he's not calling TX the leader, he was just pointing out that they've been active on Lucroy. The rest of that comment is saying TX is not the only team showing interest.

I didn't ask anything further on Lucroy.

I think it is pretty obvious that the Brewers are requiring a top 50 prospect in the deal instead of volume..."getting creative" refers to wanting to not deal their top guys yet getting Luc

oh, and awesome stuff Split...not sure why you have gotten guff lately, you always bring the goods with common sense and passion - a great combo

I think it is pretty obvious that the Brewers are requiring a top 50 prospect in the deal instead of volume..."getting creative" refers to wanting to not deal their top guys yet getting Luc

oh, and awesome stuff Split...not sure why you have gotten guff lately, you always bring the goods with common sense and passion - a great combo

I think teams would be willing deal a top 50 guys plus other pieces.

I also think Stearns (& many of the fans) are seeking 2 top 50 guys plus another guy or two from the top 150.

I recognize Stearns is trying to get max value but there is also being unrealistic.

Lucroy's max value was right after the 2014 season, not now. As well as he is playing now, his value was better than.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated and what you are saying makes sense.

I do like the thought of really stocking the system with very young prospects and going for the "high ceiling players". You get enough of those elite athletes and some will turn out well. Arcia/Phillips/Trent Clark haven't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball lately, and while of course it is just a small sample Corey Ray has just been OK to pretty good. Hopefully all 4 will be MLB stars, but the odds are that not all 4 of them will be stars, and it is certainly possible that none of them will. Taking the time to rebuild over a few extra years makes sense.

Any insight on the Ray pick over a pitcher like Puk/Garrett/Groome?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived