Brewer Fanatic

2006 Player Breakdowns

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to let you know that there are scouting reports for 18 of the more intriguing draft-eligible catchers available for this June's draft under Brewerfan.net's draft section. To access the individual positional rankings just use the drop-down menu towards the top of the ranking page, or follow this link:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewDra...;draftId=4

You will see if you select "All" there are many more players entered, most of which do not have a report written on them yet.

Also, disregard the individual player rankings past the top 30. Trying to rank even the players I have entered right now is an extremely tedious task.

I started with the catchers because I feel that is clearly the Brewers' biggest organizational weakness. It seemed like I campaigned the Brewers for years to target a third baseman, and last year they finally granted that wish. Not only with Ryan Braun, but with Mat Gamel and even Michael Bell. Their presence along with the emergence of Billy Hall and the acquisition of Corey Koskie has quickly turned a glaring organizational weakness into one of it's strengths.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Brewers using the 16th pick on a catcher, but there should be some talent to be had in the top 3-5 rounds should they choose to stockpile the position like they did with the hot corner a year ago. Max Sapp and Hank Conger are the most likely first-rounders of the prep players, while Chad Tracy and Brian Jeroloman represent the most-likely college catchers to be taken in the first round. The problem with all four of these players is that none of them are well-rounded players. Sapp, Conger and Tracy are all known for their bat, while Jeroloman is praised for his D'. It's a good chance two to three of these guys are available for the Brewers' 2nd-round pick.

The Brewers have had plenty of looks at both Conger and Travis Tartamella, as both played on their Area Code teams last August at the Area Code Games. Tartamella is probably the most well-rounded catching prospect of the bunch.

The college crop offers several intriguing athletes and a few pretty good hitters, but there are several questions regarding their defensive skills.

Vin DiFazio could be a wild-card, and may be a similar type of pick to the selection of Lou Palmisano a few years ago. Remember, a perceived shoulder problem caused Cap'n Lou to fall to the 3rd round, as the Brewers may not be that lucky with someone of DiFazio's talents this year.

Jordan Abruzzo is a sleeper if he can replicate his '04 season, while Chad Pierce is a local favorite as profiled in the Scouting WI feature.

Will this be the year the Brewers target a catcher early, or at least earlier (Palmisano and Salome are both recent high picks at the position)? I have a feeling a catcher will be among the team's top three selections.

I meant to add that while catching is somewhat thin at the top since there isn't a catcher that is legitimately considered a first-rounder at this point in time, next year there are three, two from college and one from high school. Matt Wieters from Georgia Tech is a switch hitter that also serves at GT's closer, and some may prefer him on the mound. I think his power potential as a catcher is too good to pass up. J.P. Arencibia of Tennessee is a well-rounded catcher that led Team USA in battig last summer. Robert Stock represents the prep catcher, who is a similar catcher & hitter to Joe Mauer, although some may prefer him as a pitcher now after he touched 95 at the WWBA tourney.

• 2 months later...

I haven't profiled a player on the forums lately, because my energy is going towards the profiles found off of the draft page(s) of Brewerfan.net. I wanted to bring up Sinkbeil because he is one player that I have never brought up on the forums here, despite bringing up nearly every other players under the sun. Why? Good question, because I did get to see him pitch in the Cape Cod League All-Star Game last summer. He just hasn't struck me as much as most to all of the other players I have profiled. I had to include him now since Jim Callis listed him among his top 20 draft prospects, he was recently listed as Baseball America's 17th best midseason college draft-eliglble prospect and he was named their 17th best prospect on the Cape last summer.

Brett Sinkbeil-RHP-Missouri State

Freshman Year, Missouri State, 2004:

7-4, 3.11 ERA, 15 games (14 starts), 3 CG, 84 IP, 66 H, 84 K, 34 BB, .214 BAA, 8 HR

Sophomore Year, Missouri State, 2005:

7-9, 4.84 ERA, 17 games (15 starts), 2 CG, 87.1 IP, 95 H, 97 K, 29 BB, .271 BAA, 9 HR

Summer of 2005, Cape Cod League:

5-1, 2.38 ERA, 9 games (8 starts), 53 IP, 42 H, 59 K, 7 BB, 3 HR

Cumulative Statistics:

19-14, 3.61 ERA, 41 games (37 starts), 5 CG, 224.1 IP, 221 H, 240 K, 70 BB, 20 HR

So far in '06:

4-1, 2.26 ERA, 9 games (all starts), 1 CG, 59.2 IP, 40 H, 63 K, 20 BB, .189 BAA, 2 HR

Sinkbeil is appropriately named, as his best attribute is a heavy fastball with natural sink that sits 92-93 and can reach 95. His second best pitch is a slider, making him a prototypical sinker-slider pitcher that is at his best when he's working for contact.

Like so many sinker-ball pitchers, when Sinkbeil has been hit, he has been hit hard as evidenced by the 20 dingers he's given up prior to his junior year. He has improved in that area this year, and is doing a great job limiting base hits. He has always had good control and the propensity to miss bats.

His changeup is a work in progress.

On top of his stuff, he also has a very athletic build at 6'4", 185 pounds. He is considered to be a mid-to-late first-round pick, more likely late than mid.

As I noted above, I have seen him pitch, very briefly, as part of the '05 Cape Cod League All-Star Game. He works from a low 3/4 delivery that definitely aids the movement on his pitches. His arm speed is rather slow, but he offers a lot of deception, and with the movement on his pitches that deception is a weapon in itself. According to my notes from that game he had a K, a weak flyout and a broken bat dribbler while consistently pitching in the 90-92 range with a good slider. Pretty much on par for his other scouting reports.

Archived