Brewer Fanatic

2006 Player Breakdowns

Since it's slow I decided to break down some 2006 draft eligible players that could be intriguing options for our first-round pick, if the Brewers indeed have a first-round pick. There are a few players that have had very good, productive seasons yet aren't considered top prospects at this point in time due to their less than stellar tools and/or size. The first two players that I intend to target are Shane Robinson and Chad Tracy. I'll get to Tracy at a later date.

Robinson had an amazing season for Florida State last year and profiles as a prototypical centerfielder/leadoff hitter with the ability to get on base, very good speed and good defense, which includes a strong throwing arm. The biggest thing holding him back from a lofty ranking is his size, as he's 5'9" and 165 pounds. Despite that size, he has pretty good pop in his bat.

Here are his stats during his first two seasons at FSU, including his stats during the summers in between on the Cape and with Team USA:

Shane Robinson-CF-Florida State University

Freshman Year, 2004 Florida State:

.280/.358/.371 in 275 AB, 18 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 23:35 BB:K, 19 for 20 SBs (95%), 3 Es in CF

Summer of 2004, Cape Cod League:

.252/.277/.346 in 107 AB, 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4:17 BB:K, 7 for 9 SBs (78%), 2 Es in CF

Sophomore Year, 2005 Florida State:

.427/.532/.605 in 286 AB, 25 2B, 4 3B, 6 HR, 57:28 BB:K, 49 for 56 SBs (88%), 1 E in CF

Summer of 2005, Team USA:

.298/.328/.519 in 54 AB, 5 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 3:9 BB:K, 5 for 6 SBs (83%), 1 E in CF

Compiled Statistics:

.335/.419/.471, 722 AB, 53 2B, 9 3B, 9 HR, 87:89 BB:K, 80 for 91 in SBs (88%), 7 Es in CF

You can tell his stats are really skewed by his amazing sophomore season in which he was named Collegiate Baseball's National Player of the Year. He had a 40 game hit streak, and there were only two games in which he did not reach base. In all of college baseball he was first in runs (96), tied for 1st in hits (122), third in stolen bases (49), and attempts (56), fourth in on-base percentage (.532), tied for fifth in doubles (25), sixth in batting average (.427), seventh in total bases (173) and he tied for seventh in walks (57).

With his production he runs a 6.4 60-yard dash, and has a good throwing arm for his size. He displays very good instincts in centerfield, and his speed allows him to close the gaps in a hurry. He has proven that his power is not just a byproduct of the metal bat by hitting for good power using a wood bat with Team USA last summer. He also has remained healthy throughout his high school and college career.

Next spring expect comparisons from Craig Biggio to David Eckstein, with his future production likely falling somewhere in between those two players.

He didn't show up in Baseball America's recent list of the top 50 draft eligible prospects, and at this point in time he is just outside of my top 30 looking in, although that may change when my top 30 is officially released. If he comes close to having the type of season he did last year he will likely go right around the Brewers first-round pick, and certainly a team that values production over projection won't let his lack of height scare them away. He could move quickly given his relative polish, and could atop a team's lineup for year's to come.

Please chime in with your thoughts on Robinson or your thoughts for the 2006 draft in general.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad Tracy-C-Pepperdine University

Freshman Year, 2004:

.320/.353/.539 in 241 AB, 15 2B, 1 3B, 12 HR, 10:40 BB:K, 7 Es, 16 PB, 36% throwing out opposing runners

Sophomore Year, 2005:

.367/.428/.609 in 256 AB, 22 2B, 2 3B, 12 HR, 28:30 BB:K, 5 Es, 2 PB, 33% throwing out opposing runners

Cumulative Statistics:

.344/.393/.575 in 497 AB, 37 2B, 3 3B, 24 HR, 38:70, 12 Es, 18 PB, 35% throwing out opposing runners

I could not find any summer statistics for Tracy the past couple of summers. He didn't play on the Cape, and while he was invited to try out for Team USA this past summer, he didn't make the cut (keep in mind Ben Sheets and Barry Zito didn't make the cut during the summer of 1998) .

Chad is the son of Jim Tracy, the former manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers. He plays on Pepperdine with the sons of Ryne Sandberg and Drew Saberhagen. As you can probably tell by his statistics, he is a very good hitter for average, he makes good contact and he has very good gap power, and even home run power. I had the chance to see Tracy play in person last March at the Dairy Queen Classic at the Metrodome (speaking of which, for those interested, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Arizona will be playing there with host Minnesota next March). He hit a HR to the alley in deep left-centerfield using a nice, easy, flick of the wrist type of stroke. Since he hits more for contact he probably will never draw an amazing number of walks, but he's not going to strike out much either. He covers the plate very well and has good hand-eye coordination.

As you can tell by his passed ball totals during his freshman season, he had a lot of work defensively, and really improved over his sophomore year. When I saw him I really liked the way he caught his staff, and he appears to be a good receiver and has an athletic, lean build (6'3", 175 pounds) that should easily handle the rigors of catching. Unfortunately, he probably won't be able to improve much on his arm strength, which is below average. He skipped and sailed many of a throw, and it's obvious that opposing teams gameplan by attempting a lot of stolen bases. So far Tracy has responded well by nailing more than a third of those runners, but I doubt he has the same kind of success at the pro level.

He was named the WCC's player of the year by Collegiate Baseball, and is likely the favorite to win the award again this year. While he can hit, his lack of defensive tools holds him back from being a true first-rounder, but similar to Robinson, if he can produce a team likely will take him high knowing the value of a catcher that can hit.

Kyle McCulloch-RHP-Texas

Freshman Year, Texas, 2004:

7-0, 3.25 ERA, 25 games/8 starts, 52.2 IP, 48 H, 34 K, 18 BB, 1 HR

0-1, 4.79 ERA, 7 games/1 start, 20.2 IP, 27 H, 28 K, 9 BB, 2 HR

Sophomore Year, Texas, 2005:

12-4, 2.92 ERA, 26 games/23 starts, 138.2 IP, 137 H, 99 K, 45 BB, 6 HR

4-0, 1.44 ERA, 4 games/4 starts, 25 IP, 20 H, 22 K, 3 BB, 0 HR

Cumulative Statistics:

23-5, 3.00 ERA, 62 games/36 starts, 237 IP, 232 H, 183 K, 75 BB, 9 HR

McCulloch's cumulative stats would make a mighty fine MLB season, but of course amateur statistics don't necessarily mean a thing when trying to project one's future success at the big-league level. Entering his senior season in high school, McCulloch was better known as a smooth hitting, slick fielding, athletic shortstop, but won scouts over during his senior season with his ability to pitch. His emergence as a pitcher definitely has paid off extremely well at Texas, as he was the winning pitcher last June in Omaha, Nebraska as McCulloch and the Longhorns knocked of the Florida Gators to win the College World Series.

At 6'3" and about 180 pounds, McCulloch is built long and lithe, with a slender yet strong and wiry frame. He doesn't blow hitters away but his stuff does have very good movement, he works well in the zone and he exhibits good control. His fastball is thrown in the low-90s with late darting movement and he mixes in a pretty good curveball as well as a polished changeup. McCulloch knows how to use all three pitches together to carve up hitters, and he is poised for a huge junior season. He is a similar pitching prospect to the Twins' Scott Baker in that he doesn't have a true knockout pitch and his ceiling isn't particularly high. But McCulloch likely will advance quickly in the minors, even if he profiles as a #3 starter at best.

Baseball America recently ranked McCulloch as the 16th-best draft eligible prospect for next June, which would put him right at the Brewers draft slot. I don't have McCulloch that high at this point in time, but his polish may be very appealing to the Brewers on draft day. While Scott Baker fell to the 2nd round coming out of Oklahoma State in 2003, I doubt McCulloch makes it past the sandwich round.

Thanks Stevo, I'm glad you like it. I figured this would provide for a more valuable resource next spring.

Mark Hamilton-1B/LF-Tulane

Freshman Year, Tulane, 2004:

.227/.336/.361 in 119 AB, 7 2B, 3 HR, 14:23 BB:K, 0 Es

.254/.349/.454 in 130 AB, 5 2B, 7 HR, 16:31 BB:K, 6 Es

Sophomore Year, Tulane, 2005:

.318/.452/.599 in 157 AB, 11 2B, 11 HR, 29:29 BB:K, 1 E

Summer of 2005, Cape Cod League:

.272/.405/.465 in 114 AB, 4 2B, 6 HR, 21:19 BB:K, 5 Es

Cumulative Statistics:

.271/.391/.479 in 520 AB, 27 2B, 27 HR, 80:102 BB:K, 12 Es

Mark Hamilton is a first baseman or left fielder, depending on where you feel his defense will hurt you less. While his defense can be shaky, and he's not the greatest of runners, his powerful bat is his ticket. He has had the best pure, raw power on the Cape the past two summers, tieing for 2nd in home runs in 2005 and finishing 3rd in HR in 2004. He also finished 2nd and 3rd in RBIs in 2005 and 2004 respectively and he finished 4th in SLG in 2005. Proving he can continue to hit for power with a wood bat will be a huge benefit to him when it comes to draft day next June. Hamilton was rated the 10th best prospect on the Cape according to Baseball America in 2005, and the 14th best in 2004.

On top of his power, Hamilton has also refined his approach at the plate the past two seasons. He has always drawn his fair share of walks, but that escalated during his sophomore season, and he even managed to strike out less in the process. He controls the strike zone very well and has a nice, easy swing from the left-side of the plate. Hamilton puts natural backspin on the ball that should allow him to hit plenty of home runs as a pro.

Hamilton may be better served in the American League where he can also be used as the DH from time to time, but he isn't completely unservicable on the field. His bat should more than make up for any defensive deficiency, although while his bat is his ticket, there is some question as to how much he will hit. Scouts likely will continue to look for him to hit for a higher average as a junior while maintaining his polished batting eye. He's due for a big season for Tulane when he should finally step in as an every day player now that Micah Owings and Brian Bogusevic have moved onto the pro ranks. Hamilton is currently ranked the 42nd best draft-eligible prospect for 2005, and he should be off of the board by the time the 2nd round rolls around.

brettac1, the guy you're really going to like for next June's draft is 1B Matt LaPorta of Florida. He is as true of a 3TO guy as you're going to find. You also will like Wake Forest's Matt Antonelli, who has 142 walks over 761 college and summer league ABs. Both will be profiled soon.

Mark Melancon-RHP-Arizona

Freshman Year, Arizona, 2004:

6-4, 4.33 ERA, 29 games, one start, 3 saves, 62.1 IP, 57 H, 46 K, 19 BB, 5 HR

Summer of 2004, Northwoods League:

1-2, 1.95 ERA, 37 IP, 30 H, 33 K, 14 BB

Sophomore Year, Arizona, 2005:

1-3, 2.58 ERA, 34 games all in relief, 11 saves, 66.1 IP, 52 H, 69 K, 21 BB, 2 HR

1-0, 0.00 ERA, 10 games, all in relief, 5 saves, 12.1 IP, 7 H, 10 K, 0 BB

Cumulative Statistics:

9-9, 2.88 ERA, 73 games*, 1 start*, 19 saves*, 178 IP, 146 H, 158 K, 54 BB, 7 HR*

* Indicates total does not include stats from his Northwoods stint during the summer of 2004 as those stats were not available.

Melancon is a well-built pitcher (6'2", 210 pounds) that profiles as one of the best college closers in the nation. Scouts like his strong, sturdy frame as much as they like his 90-94 mph fastball and his hard-boring curve. He does throw a changeup, and along with his two power offerings there are reports that the Wildcats will try Melancon as a starter this next year, which could increase his value. He led Team USA in saves last summer without allowing a single earned run. Melancon was named the #10 prospect in the Northwoods League during the summer of 2004, a list that included 2005 first-rounder Lance Broadway, 2005 second-rounder, a few projected top prospects for next year's draft including Max Scherzer, Ryan Zink and John Gaub as well as Brewers farmhand and Waukesha native Ben Stanczyk.

While Melancon's stats aren't as gaudy as a few of the top college closers that came before him, the most notable of whom include Craig Hansen and Huston Street, it is important to remember that playing in the Pac-10, and more specifically Arizona, generally is known to favor hitters given the altitude. Melancon easily throws in the low-90s, and his curveball is a perfect complement to his heater. As noted, the development of his changeup will likely be the biggest factor in whether or not he may be developed as a starter.

Baseball America currently lists Melancon as the 25th best draft-eligible prospect for 2006, and if he does indeed stick as a starter he would likely soar up my top prospect list as well, as I don't value college closers as much as some do.

Scherzer, along with Ian Kennedy, Colin Curtis and Jason Donald, have been identified as Scott Boras advisees, which as always will drastically effect which teams select whom. I agree that Scherzer on pure talent will give Miller a run for his money. Considering Boras' top two pitchers from last year, Mike Pelfrey and Luke Hochevar, remain unsigned, I'm guessing the Royals may be inclined to avoid such players.

• 2 weeks later...

Brennan Boesch-OF-Cal

Freshman Year, Cal, 2004:

.284/.365/.541 in 74 ABs, 5 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 7:23 BB:K ratio, 0 Es

.138/.203/.156 in 109 ABs, 2 2B, 9:41 BB:K, 2 Es

Sophomore Year, Cal, 2005:

.355/.436/.567 in 217 ABs, 21 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 26:27 BB:K, 2 Es

.222/.382/.333 in 27 AB, 1 HR, 6:14 BB:K, 2 Es

Cumulative Statistics:

.279/.363/.443 in 427 ABs, 28 2B, 3 3B, 12 HR, 48:105 BB:K, 6 Es

Boesch is built tall and lean, similar to Brewers' prospect Corey Hart. Unlike Hart, Boesch is left-handed, but like Hart he has played several positions, including CF and 1B. He has good athleticism and speed for his size. His frame gives him intriguing power potential, although that potential really has not come to life so far during his collegiate career. His power potential in high school led to his nick-name, "Bash," as he was a highly-touted prospect that fell in the draft due to his commitment to Cal.

He had a great sophomore year in 2005, but he hasn't hit well in limited playing time in the Cape League the past two summers. Given his frame, his swing can get long, but he did a very good job controlling the strike zone last season while limiting his strikeouts. Again, like Hart, Boesch likes to hit early in the count and hits more doubles than home runs at this point in time. He along with teammate Chris Errecart (who likely will be profiled soon) will give the Bears a legitimate 1-2 punch in the middle of their lineup next spring.

Unless Boesch has a huge spring, he's probably not going to sniff the first-round, but he could be an interesting high potential college player worth picking up in the top 5-7 rounds next June. While he has played CF, he is more of a corner outfielder at the pro level.

This Peabody, MA native is for Mass Haas...

Matt Antonelli-3B-Wake Forest

Freshman Year, Wake Forest, 2004:

.305/.412/.369 in 203 ABs, 7 2B, 2 HR, 32:19 BB:K ratio, 18 for 20 in stolen base attempts, 9 Es

.280/.413/.340 in 150 ABs, 3 2B, 2 HR, 31:30 BB:K, 9 for 15 in SBA, 10 Es

Sophomore Year, Wake Forest, 2005:

.332/.475/.509 in 232 ABs, 22 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR, 57:38 BB:K, 13 for 17 in SBA, 18 Es

.267/.361/.330 in 176 ABs, 8 2B, 1 HR, 22:41 BB:K, 8 for 10 in SBA, 9 Es

Cumulative Statistics:

.300/.421/.397 in 761 ABs, 40 2B, 5 3B, 10 HR, 142:128 BB:K, 48 for 62 in SBA, 46 Es

Matt Antonelli is an exceptional athlete that could play virtually anywhere on the field. There has been some speculation that he may be moved to centerfield upon graduating to the professional ranks, where his speed and arm strength would be natural assets. He was named the Massachusetts player of the year in football and hockey during his senior year in high school, and was the runner-up player of the year in baseball (Jeff Allison won the award after a jaw-dropping senior season).

By looking at his numbers, you can tell Antonelli has a polished approach at the plate as he isn't afraid to draw walks. He started out at an alarming strikeout pace last summer on the Cape, but found his groove and started to hit better the second half of the summer. He was named the Cape's 17th best prospect last summer by Baseball America, and the 18th best prospect the summer before. He led the Cape League in runs this past year, and was 3rd in OBP and runs in 2004. Antonelli's 57 walks during his sophomore year tied him for 7th with Shane Robinson among all D1 hitters.

While he's not much of a power threat now, Antonelli's power has been improving the past two years. He has very good gap power now, and has the speed to let out plenty of triples. He's a good baserunner and is a threat to swipe 20-30 bags a year. While his error totals are pretty ugly, Antonelli is considered to be a very good defender at the hot corner.

I already have Antonelli rated in my top 30 for '06, so he's the first player to be profiled that I consider a legitimate first-rounder. His skill set would make him an ideal leadoff hitter even if he doesn't fit the prototypical mold. He gets on base, can steal a few bases and could end up at 3B, CF or 2B as a pro. Antonelli is an interesting player, similar to Cliff Pennington from a year ago, in that he has the tools to appeal to old-school scouts, and the stats to appeal to stat-heads.

I'm catching up on some names I've had written in my notebook. I hope to profile more pitchers in the coming weeks after a heavy run at hitters. Matt LaPorta embodies 3TO like no other '06 draft-eligible prospect.

Matt LaPorta-1B-Florida

Freshman Year, Florida, 2004:

.285/.371/.646 in 130 ABs, 5 2B, 14 HR, 13:39 BB:K ratio, 2 Es

.234/.343/.441 in 145 ABs, 3 2B, 9 HR, 20:51 BB:K, 0 Es

Sophomore Year, Florida, 2005:

.328/.438/.698 in 265 ABs, 16 2B, 2 3B, 26 HR, 44:65 BB:K, 10 Es

.259/.323/.552 in 58 ABs, 3 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 4:19 BB:K, 2 Es

Cumulative Statistics:

.289/.391/.610 in 598 ABs, 27 2B, 3 3B, 53 HR, 81:174 BB:K, 14 Es

Matt LaPorta is a powerhouse, originally coming to Florida as a catcher but he was quickly moved to 1B. He never is going to win anyone over for his defense or how he runs, as it's clearly his power/patience combination that is going to earn his paychecks. LaPorta was named the SEC Player of the Year last season, the first Gator to ever win the award, and doing so as a sophomore to boot. His 26 home runs last spring led all of D1 baseball, and he finished second in total bases, tied for seventh in RBIs and tied for 10th in strikeouts. He also finished 2nd on the Cape League in home runs during the summer of 2004, while also finishing 2nd in the HR derby at the All-Star Game that summer.

LaPorta is a right-handed hitter, and obviously he's going to swing-and-miss a lot which takes away from his value. He probably isn't going to hit for a high average given his approach, but he's going to get on base due to his ability to draw walks (and he gets hit by a lot of pitches). He's the type of hitter that will also have more doubles than home runs, as when he connects the ball leaves the ballpark. His 53 home runs in just under 600 at-bats is an impressive feat.

If LaPorta comes close to matching his 2005 season next spring, he's a for-sure first-round pick. As of right now, I do not have him ranked within my top 30 draft eligible prospects since I am more leery of all-or-nothing hitters. LaPorta's power may grade out as the best single tool available among all draft-eligible prospects, which would mean he has a very good chance to be taken within the top 10 overall picks.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad Lincoln-RHP-Houston

Freshman Year, Houston, 2004:

3-2, 4.29 ERA, 12 games (10 starts), 56.2 IP, 60 H, 35 K, 19 BB, 2 HR

Sophomore Year, Houston, 2005:

4-7, 4.76 ERA, 18 games (16 starts), 102 IP, 124 H, 106 K, 25 BB, 12 HR

3-1, 1.32 ERA, 9 games (all starts), 54.2 IP, 39 H, 56 K, 10 BB, 0 HR

Cumulative Statistics:

10-10, 3.75 ERA, 39 games (35 starts), 213.1 IP, 223 H, 197 K, 54 BB, 14 HR

Before proceeding with the more detailed scouting report, it should be noted that Lincoln is also a very accomplished hitter, having accumulated a .307/.397/.497 line between the three levels as listed above with a potent left-handed bat.

Lincoln really made a name for himself last summer, being named the #6 prospect on the Cape according to Baseball America. He was also the Manny Robello Award winner, or the 10th Player Award, given his leadership qualities while surpassing expectations. He was regularly clocked in the mid-90s with his fastball, touching 98 and sitting at 96 in one game during the 8th inning. He pitches routinely in the 90-95 range, but his curveball is his bread and butter pitch. A low-80s hammer, the pitch has been compared to Ben Sheets' curveball for both it's bite and it's velocity, as few can throw a true curveball in the low-80s. Lincoln also throws a developing changeup, but given his fastball-curveball combo he doesn't need his change much.

Prior to last summer, Lincoln had been touched up a little more than you would like to see. He gave up more hits than innings pitched, along with 12 home runs in just over 100 innings as a sophomore. Lincoln has always displayed good control, as he commands his entire repertoire very well. On the Cape Lincoln started to pitch more aggressively, and hitters weren't able to get as much contact off of him with a wood bat. It will be interesting to see how Lincoln fare during his junior season, as to whether or not his stat lines will follow his 2005 Cape performance or if they will fall in line with what he has accomplished while pitching for the Houston Cougars.

Regardless of the future results, Lincoln has firmly planted himself as as first-round target after his impressive Cape performance. Given his lack of ideal size (6'0", 200 pounds), his stature along with his fastball-curveball combination will likely draw more than a few more Ben Sheets comparisons between now and next June.

Greg Reynolds-RHP-Stanford

Freshman Year, Stanford, 2004:

4-1, 6.00 ERA, 11 games (5 starts), 27 IP, 30 H, 15 K, 12 BB, 4 HR

4-3, 2.27 ERA, 9 games (6 starts), 39.2 IP, 26 H, 31 K, 16 BB, 1 HR

Sophomore Year, Stanford, 2005:

2-3, 5.08 ERA, 22 games (5 starts), 51.1 IP, 51 H, 51 K, 17 BB, 4 HR

2-3, 1.70 ERA, 8 games (all starts), 53 IP, 36 H, 34 K, 15 BB, 2 HR

Cumulative Statistics:

12-10, 3.53 ERA, 50 games (24 starts), 171 IP, 143 H, 131 K, 60 BB, 11 HR

Similar to Brad Lincoln, Reynolds has been a much different pitcher playing for his college team than he has been on the Cape. Pitching against hitters using wood bats as opposed to metal ones no doubt plays a part in his success, but obviously it cannot be quantified as to how much it has effected his results. At Stanford, Reynolds gives up too many hits, and there is also concern that he doesn't miss as many bats as he should given his power repertoire.

As for his repertoire, he pitches easily in the 90-95 range with an extremely projectable 6'7", 225 pound frame. He also throws a very good curveball and a refined changeup giving him three solid big-league pitches. His fastball is somewhat straight, but he does throw a two-seam fastball that has more sinking action that pitching coaches are trying to get him to get more comfortable throwing.

Reynolds was a later-riser up draft boards during his senior year in high school. Many believed he was signable, but he signed late with Stanford and slipped in the draft. Reynolds was also a very talented quarterback prospect, but his heart has always been in baseball.

Reynolds will get his chance to start full-time with Stanford, and many are interested to see how he turns out. He has the size and stuff that scouts love, but his results to date have left a few skeptical. With a big spring, Reynolds could vault up draft boards.

While I normally don't like pencilling draft prosepcts into the future lineup, particularly when the draft is six months away, but with the recent discussion debating who will be the Brewers CF and leadoff hitter of the future, Curtis could be a strong candidate to be the Brewers' first-round pick.

Colin Curtis-CF-Arizona State

Freshman Year, ASU, 2004:

.300/.428/.437 in 190 ABs, 11 2B, 5 HR, 38:39 BB:K, 12 for 14 SBs, 1 E

.223/.315/.325 in 157 ABs, 7 2B, 3 HR, 21:32 BB:K, 9 for 12 SBs, 0 E

Sophomore Year, ASU, 2005:

.342/.442/.427 in 260 ABs, 14 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 44:37 BB:K, 17 for 24 SBs, 3 E

.323/.437/.384 in 99 ABs, 6 2B, 16:15 BB:K, 11 for 15 SBs, 0 E

Cumulative Statistics:

.302/.411/.401 in 706 ABs, 38 2B, 1 3B, 10 HR, 119:123 BB:K, 49 for 65 SBs, 4 E

Curtis was an extremely polished left-handed hitter coming out of high school, but like many prep prospects from the Pacific Northwest, Curtis slipped in the draft and honored his strong commitment to Arizona State. He is rumored to be advised by Scott Boras, which may have played a part in that as well.

Curtis is a solid all-around player that has good tools across the board. His bat is his best tool, and he has an advanced approach and a line drive swing. Curtis should carry a high average and on-base percentage given his ability to get on via the base hit and the walk. He does have intriguing power potential as well, despite hitting only 10 home runs so far during his college career. Curtis has also proved that he can hit with a wood bat, ranking 5th in the league in batting last summer while finishing 3rd in OBP. He was named the All-Star Game's MVP with a 3-hit performance, and was named the league's #23 prospect according to Baseball America.

Curtis is also a polished defender, with good speed and instincts, as well as a strong throwing arm, that should allow him to stick in centerfield. His defensive prowess is supported by the fact that he has committed only 4 errors in college. While he has 49 stolen bases collectively with ASU and on the Cape, his 75% success rate will need to hold for him to be considered a threat at the professional level.

Off the field Curtis will prove to be a feel-good story as as cancer survivor who was diagnosed in 1999 at the age of 14.

While Curtis doesn't have blinding speed, his ability to get on base could make him an ideal leadoff hitter prospect at the professional level. If more power develops as Curtis matures, he could even make a very good #3 hitter. Regardless of where Curtis ends up down the road, he is a solid all-around ballplayer that seems like a safe bet to someday play in the Major-Leagues.

Brandon Morrow-RHP-Cal

Freshman Year, Cal, 2004:

1-3, 6.07 ERA, 19 games (5 starts), 29.2 IP, 35 H, 18 K, 19 BB, 3 HR

1-4, 3.82 ERA, 8 games (5 starts), 33 IP, 29 H, 40 K, 13 BB, 1 HR

Sophomore Year, Cal, 2005:

0-1, 9.36 ERA, 10 games (5 starts), 1 save, 25 IP, 32 H, 25 K, 20 BB, 3 HR

0-0, 1.84 ERA, 16 games (1 start), 3 saves, 14.2 IP, 13 H, 24 K, 9 BB, 0 HR

Cumulative Statistics:

2-8, 5.54 ERA, 53 games (16 starts), 4 saves, 102.1 IP, 109 H, 107 K, 61 BB, 10 HR

I'm sure the initial reaction when first looking at Morrow's cumulative statistics will cause a few people to question why I'm bothering profiling this guy. Morrow throws pure gas, and was named the #5 prospect on the Cape last summer according to Baseball America, and follows the traits of a few recently profiled players in that they have performed much better on the Cape than they have for their respective university.

I was able to watch Morrow pitch in the Cape Cod All-Star Game, and his first pitch was clocked at 98 mph. His second fastball registered 99 on the gun, and he never dipped below 97. While it was only one inning of work, and while he does profile more as a closer, it's not like he was torquing up his delivery to reach nearly triple digits. I was impressed with his delivery, which was pretty smooth and effortless to produce such impressive heat. And then he threw a split-fingered fastball that completely fell off the table as it reached the strike zone, clocking in at 86 mph. He also threw a pretty good slider, which would give him three legitimate big-league pitches if a team chose to try him as a starter first.

However, I do believe his future is in the bullpen. The velocity between his fastball, splitter and slider is probably too close to give batters enough to look at the 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup. A few pitchers have succeeded with pure power stuff, but for the most those that throw everything hard seem to end up in the bullpen.

Morrow has a very good, strong, well-proportioned, athletic frame at 6'3", 185 pounds. He has had his bouts with wildness, which is a concern, and while he strikes out more than a batter an inning, with his stuff at the college level he should statistically be much more dominant. It will be interesting to see how he performs during next spring and whether Cal uses him as a starter or as a reliever.

On top of all of that, he shares a birthday with Brian and yours truly, so how can you not like the guy?

• 4 weeks later...

hey colby, can you do some player scouting reports for:

ian kennedy

max scherzer

dallas buck

jared hughes

thanks!

ps: we love your input back on the dodgers board in the draft thread. hopefully you'll be a regular there all the way up til the draft.

Hey Nate, thanks for stopping by.

My '06 draft rankings are actually up, they're just hidden until we officially update the 2006 draft coverage. You will be able to find scouting reports under all four of the players you requested on this page:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewDra...?draftId=4

The rankings already need to be updated, as Matt LaPorta is painfully absent from my top 30 at this point in time.

As for the Dodgers, be prepared to deal with Boras again if you want anything to do with Kennedy or Scherzer.

awesome thanks.

yea i dont think we will draft another boras client unless we get hoch signed at the last minute. maybe they will work out an on sale package deal of hoch + kennedy/scherzer when the draft approaches. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived