Brewer Fanatic

Second Half Rotation

BrewersAA

I thought it was interesting that coming out of the break the brewers decided to line up both Peralta and Jungmann with Garza's rotation spot. not surprising that they would have a big league ready guy behind Garza, but that both are lined up with him and wilkerson is lined with jimmy nelson (no indications there). I would have half thought that 1 of the 3 might line up with anderson's spot.

Maybe i am looking way too much into it, but it seems to indicate that they are going to let anderson ride and are trying to move garza, which would be amazing if they could find a taker!

Edit** they EXPECT to move Garza *** not just 'trying'

Yeah, starting Garza yesterday maximizes the number of starts he gets before the trade deadline. A lot of people think he has no trade value, which may be true, but the only way he has a chance of having any value is if he strings together a few good starts and this gives him the most chances to do that. I'm sure this will extend into August when he'll easily pass through waivers, but if he doesn't show any signs of improvement by the end of the month I wonder if they'll just cut ties and move one of the younger guys into his spot for the final month of the season.

I was listening to a couple of the Buster Olney podcasts on Saturday and he was doing an interview related to the Baltimore Orioles. As they talked about the O's rotation and how limited that farm system is, my thoughts turned to Garza.

Garza won't bring much back in a trade but he might be a perfect waiver trade candidate in August..

It's interesting that the Brewers have three starters functioning with ERA's under 4, when you look at Nelson, Guerra, and Davies.

As for Garza, I'm not looking for anything back that matters. But I'd love to get addition by subtraction here. Hopefully Mark Attanasio has learned his lesson. Wolfie and Lohse were solid for a bit, but those contracts were just too long. Garza was an awful signing. Suppan and Looper didn't work out.

Stearns may be mitigating the need for this by stacking young protectable starters into the system. Keep the flow that way. That's the way to go, not these aging hipster pitchers.

I was listening to a couple of the Buster Olney podcasts on Saturday and he was doing an interview related to the Baltimore Orioles. As they talked about the O's rotation and how limited that farm system is, my thoughts turned to Garza.

Garza won't bring much back in a trade but he might be a perfect waiver trade candidate in August..

The problem with Garza is that his contract runs through next year, so even if you find a team willing to take a flyer on him this year without giving up talent in return, they aren't going to want to be stuck with even a $3-5 million obligation (assuming the Brewers pay the rest) for 2017 if he continues to be terrible.

The problem with Garza is that his contract runs through next year, so even if you find a team willing to take a flyer on him this year without giving up talent in return, they aren't going to want to be stuck with even a $3-5 million obligation (assuming the Brewers pay the rest) for 2017 if he continues to be terrible.

This is why he's a candidate for a post-deadline trade in August if he pitches well. I don't think he will, but it's there if he does. Nobody will claim him, so the Brewers will be able to get him through, then deal him. It will cost them some money, but it would be worth it to get a low level lottery ticket or 2, IMO.

I'm definitely looking to deal Garza but will give him as long of a leash as possible to try to get some value before I actually cut ties if no trade can be found. Given that Anderson's rotation spot isn't being very tightly gripped and you never know if Guerra is a sell high pitcher, the only guy that might be worthy of a shot at a rotation spot is Wilkerson...and there should be room at some point. If you are dying to give someone another shot in the rotation, you can move Chase Anderson to the long relief guy for a while or something.

If the non-waiver deadline passes and we've still gotten nothing, then I think it may be time to cut ties...but honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing to try again to get some value from him next season. At the very least he will soak up innings while the (right now non-existent) crop of younger pitchers do not accrue service time in a wasted season of 2017.

I'm definitely looking to deal Garza but will give him as long of a leash as possible to try to get some value before I actually cut ties if no trade can be found. Given that Anderson's rotation spot isn't being very tightly gripped and you never know if Guerra is a sell high pitcher, the only guy that might be worthy of a shot at a rotation spot is Wilkerson...and there should be room at some point. If you are dying to give someone another shot in the rotation, you can move Chase Anderson to the long relief guy for a while or something.

If the non-waiver deadline passes and we've still gotten nothing, then I think it may be time to cut ties...but honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing to try again to get some value from him next season. At the very least he will soak up innings while the (right now non-existent) crop of younger pitchers do not accrue service time in a wasted season of 2017.

Garza's inning soaking so far in 2016: 4, 6, 6, 5 2/3, 4 1/3, 5 1/3. He's giving young pitchers opportunities all right, but they're all out of the bullpen. At some point a string of 4-5 decent starts (if he's capable of that) will be more that offset by the fact that they followed 30 some starts that were at best reflective of a bad #5 starter and teams won't be fooled into thinking they are getting Garza of 4-5 years ago.

If Stearnd moves Garza, he should go directly into the Brewers HOF and have his name up next to Ueckers in the stadium.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Garza's inning soaking so far in 2016: 4, 6, 6, 5 2/3, 4 1/3, 5 1/3. He's giving young pitchers opportunities all right, but they're all out of the bullpen. At some point a string of 4-5 decent starts (if he's capable of that) will be more that offset by the fact that they followed 30 some starts that were at best reflective of a bad #5 starter and teams won't be fooled into thinking they are getting Garza of 4-5 years ago.

So what's the difference in just trying to squeeze the value out? Are we going to tell our grandkids about the innings that Tyler Cravy picked up at the end of the 2016 season before he was demoted back to a career of AAA baseball?

Why in the world would the Dodgers (or anyone) want Garza? Especially since they would be stuck with him for next season as well. Plus giving up Puig to get him? I get he's not the player he was, but he's still only 25 and has some value. Just doesn't add up for me, unless I'm missing something.

Garza's a sunk cost for this season, and likely the next (any trade involving him would probably include the Brewers paying most all of his remaining salary). I think you just give him the ball every 5th day and hope he finds something that will make him palatable to a team looking for a veteran starter to fill out their rotation this offseason.

Dealing him at this year's deadline won't happen.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived