Brewer Fanatic

Bregman future?

Astros just signed Cuban Yulieski Gurriel to a 5 year deal and are tenatively expecting him to join the major league club in about 3 weeks-ish. While that spot seemed to be essentially given (and deservingly so) to Alex Bregman as he continues to climb the ladder, do you think think that that move could make him expendable? The question would be assuming the Astros would be willing to listen to offers on him to improve their big league club, what would it take to get someone like him? It seems there would be some interest in Luc and some relievers, what would be an appropriate package?

Doesn't have to be a 2-1 or 1-1 swap either, just looking for some ideas.

Lucroy and Thornburg/Smith for Bregman, Musgrove, Perez, and a lotto ticket or two?

Bregman can play 3rd, left or DH. So can Gurriel. If Bregman goes anywhere, it's probably as a centerpiece for an ace, say, like Sale, if he's on the market. I'd rather see Lucroy go to the Rangers and decimate their depth, so they keep losing.

Bregman is a stud, noway they'll trade him

+1

He is a Top 5, Top 3, maybe even the top prospect in the game. I don't even think they would move him for Sale. Still I find it pretty strange they would go after Gourriel. They must expect his bat to play well as an OF/DH as Bregman will surely be the 3B of the future(one would think).

I get that Bregman is a very good prospect, but to not trade for him straight up for Sale would be a huge mistake. Sale has had great peripherals his whole career, so it isn't like he is a smoke-in-mirrors guy. Remember Pomeranz just went straight up for Espinoza so that needs to be taken into account.

Edit: Not to mention Sale is essentially signed through 2019 (17: 12mil, 18: 12.5mil, 19: 13mil)

I would think that Bregman and Gurriel would make it much more likely that AJ Reed would be available in a potential deal for Lucroy.

Gurriel is going to play 3B and if called up Bregman can play DH mainly and occasionally 3B/SS. Sure Gattis won't have an everyday spot, but he has sucked this year. AJ Reed plays 1B.

I would think that Bregman and Gurriel would make it much more likely that AJ Reed would be available in a potential deal for Lucroy.

Gurriel is going to play 3B and if called up Bregman can play DH mainly and occasionally 3B/SS. Sure Gattis won't have an everyday spot, but he has sucked this year. AJ Reed plays 1B.

Luis Valbuena would play 1B over Reed

Luis Valbuena would play 1B over Reed

This year, yes, but Valbuena is playing so far above his head (and career numbers) since May 1st. He's also going to be a free agent after this year. Reed is going to be an excellent hitter. He's a good defensive first baseman, but his big plus is hitting. I'm not sure if he's putting too much pressure on himself right now, but I think he'll be fine. The Astros have depth, flexibility and quality at many positions. Not a bad thing to have at all!!

Agreed that Bregman is a doubtful move. But, Rosenthal or one of his comrades suggested that AJ Reed may be in play.

Yeah, I'm not excited about giving up Reed, but it depends on the return. If it's a top of the line starter under team control for a few years, I could see that. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

I would be OK with a trade involving Reed. I know he has struggled but still put up good numbers over his last month in triple A. The brewers are in position to let him grow without pressure.

Archived