Brewer Fanatic

Boston Gets Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza

splitterpfj
Pomeranz had a career high of 86 innings prior to this season's 102 where he pitched in a pitchers park in SD.

This is great deal for SD.

We need to get in on some of this action if Dom is just giving away his farm for a WS this year.

The innings number is a bit of a scare.

He's been just as good away from Petco this year as he has in it. I will be the first to point out that it is a small sample away from there and that Boston won't be so kind...but Boston won't be so kind to any pitcher.

2.5 years + the ability to keep/extend/get comp pick for Pomeranz with durability/Petco risks known

OR

6 years of a guy beginning at the earliest in 2019 that we have no idea will ever get to the majors.

The Padres could definitely run away with this trade if Espinoza is legit, but I think the value is pretty fair given all the risks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that he was the #5 pick with tons of talent. This has been noted by several on the thread.

Well when you trade for very young players (like Stearns is doing btw) yes the odds of them making a MLB roster yet alone starring on one go down as the level they are playing. That's in part why I have questioned going for rookie league players vs high A or AA guys unless they have an incredible pedigree.

Pomeranz is the perfect guy to trade now for all the reasons we mentioned. Former high pick everyone has coveted, hot season, and right at that innings limit where he can go south in a hurry. He is also a nice move for Boston as they need a hot pitcher and if he helps them to a WS they made a great trade with 2 more years of control as a bonus.

Espinoza has that pedigree. Yes, it's possible Pomeranz may have already pitched in more MLB games this season than Esponoza will his whole career, but with his ceiling that's how you build as Pomeranz may not be around for the next great SD team.

I will also say I'm a big fan of going for those potentially mega stars rather than depth guys in volume. Impact pitchers are so tough to obtain

I am SHOCKED that Dombrowski would trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball for a SP with one good half season to his name. Stearns needs to get him on the phone ASAP.

He's not a consensus top 25 prospect (he's #39 by mlb.com and #73 by baseball prospectus) and he's in low A where he's not dominating by any means. How many guys who are ranked high as low level players flame out or see their stock drop? The answer is many. It's absolutely the right move by Dombrowski, who'll have plenty of opportunities to replace Espinoza before he makes an impact at the major leagues.

True enough. Let's also remember this the next time people here claim Nottingham is the next Gary Carter. ;)

Prospects are definitely a risk. And going for volume doesn't work, you need to go after guys with plus plus tools, not "lottery tickets".

And going for volume doesn't work, you need to go after guys with plus plus tools, not "lottery tickets".

If it were as simple as that, all the first and second round draft picks would ultimately make their way to the MLB. But most don't, because predicting the development of young players is very difficult. Which is why going for volume is essential, can't pin your hopes on a select few players. Besides, AA players with "plus plus tools" don't get traded except in rare circumstances, they are coveted. Of course anyone would agree to get as many of these guys as you can, but you won't get those kind of guys for Khris Davis or Adam Lind. If you're going to rebuild a farm system, volume is key because some prospects will flame out, that's just the way it is.

I am not Shea Vucinich

And going for volume doesn't work, you need to go after guys with plus plus tools, not "lottery tickets".

If it were as simple as that, all the first and second round draft picks would ultimately make their way to the MLB. But most don't, because predicting the development of young players is very difficult. Which is why going for volume is essential, can't pin your hopes on a select few players. Besides, AA players with "plus plus tools" don't get traded except in rare circumstances, they are coveted. Of course anyone would agree to get as many of these guys as you can, but you won't get those kind of guys for Khris Davis or Adam Lind. If you're going to rebuild a farm system, volume is key because some prospects will flame out, that's just the way it is.

In short you need a volume of guys AT EACH POSITION with plus plus tools..

Not just a volume of bodies. Not 6 or 7 guys in the system with plus plus.

Multiple guys at each position.

It's why the rebuild will be about 5 years. The "tear down" isn't even finished yet..

Archived