Brewer Fanatic

Boston Gets Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza

splitterpfj

I am SHOCKED that Dombrowski would trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball for a SP with one good half season to his name. Stearns needs to get him on the phone ASAP.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I've got a chubby thinking about what Luc can bring back in a deal now.

To be fair Pomeranz is a starting pitcher in a weak trade market for them with a weak FA market to come. If I remember right he was a pretty highly regarded prospect too and he is pitching like an ace. Not to mention he is controllable for two more years cheaply.

No one is desperate for a catcher. There are many different ways to upgrade your offense. However there aren't so many ways to upgrade your pitching and the options are limited. The Red Sox were desperate to get pitching and that is what they did. Is there really a team that desperate for Lucroy?

Moral of the story you can't really compare Pomeranz and Lucroy.

I am SHOCKED that Dombrowski would trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball for a SP with one good half season to his name.

I'm not. This is what Dombrowski has always done. Use the farm system to upgrade the major league team.

I am SHOCKED that Dombrowski would trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball for a SP with one good half season to his name.

I'm not. This is what Dombrowski has always done. Use the farm system to upgrade the major league team.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

Every time a trade like this happens I wonder why we can't be this lucky. Though I guess it isn't that cut and dry because if Pomeranz is actually this good or close to it the Padres got the short end of the stick.

Still as it stands wow.

Every time a trade like this happens I wonder why we can't be this lucky. Though I guess it isn't that cut and dry because if Pomeranz is actually this good or close to it the Padres got the short end of the stick.

Still as it stands wow.

I agree. Other teams are just smarter than we are. I still cringe at what Atlanta did to Dave Stewart.

Look at what we did to Houston last year

We gave up quite a bit to get that package. Looking at that trade the day it happened the return wasn't that incredible. This trade however...looks quite amazing for the Padres right now.

We gave up quite a bit to get that package. Looking at that trade the day it happened the return wasn't that incredible. This trade however...looks quite amazing for the Padres right now.

I mean no disrespect to you at all and it's not only you with this mentality, but is it possible that prospects are being valued too highly right now... especially in a sellers market? Espinoza is far from a sure thing, and maybe San Diego wins this deal 5 years in the future with their new ace. But it's also possible he doesn't come close his ceiling. I say it's a win-win. San Diego gets a high upside prospect. Boston bolsters their rotation with a young, controllable all star.

I am SHOCKED that Dombrowski would trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball for a SP with one good half season to his name. Stearns needs to get him on the phone ASAP.

The Brewers have a starting pitcher with one good half season to his name.

I mean no disrespect to you at all and it's not only you with this mentality, but is it possible that prospects are being valued too highly right now... especially in a sellers market? Espinoza is far from a sure thing, and maybe San Diego wins this deal 5 years in the future with their new ace. But it's also possible he doesn't come close his ceiling. I say it's a win-win. San Diego gets a high upside prospect. Boston bolsters their rotation with a young, controllable all star.

I am not overvaluing a prospect. I am pretty sure most would agree they didn't see Pomeranz getting someone like Espinoza. So it is pretty surprising.

And please note I said RIGHT NOW. I understand trades can turn out differently. Heck if Pomeranz leads the Red Sox to a Game 7 victory in the World Series it doesn't really matter what Espinoza becomes.

I suppose it depends how you feel about what we gave up. I personally thought Gogo was going to drop a bit, so it surely seems we got a better deal. To me at least.

I suppose it depends how you feel about what we gave up. I personally thought Gogo was going to drop a bit, so it surely seems we got a better deal. To me at least.

Agreed, but I think people are under rating Fiers value. He was why we got Brett Phillips. Who at the time was considered the best player in the deal.

Still as it stands wow.

Yea, Pomeranz was the 5th pick in the draft by Cleveland, but then he was cursed to be traded to Colorado before ever throwing a big league pitch. No surprise he struggled badly in three seasons there. Immediately after being removed from that place, his numbers got significantly better in Oakland, but as a swing man where he only started 19 games over two seasons and now he has been very good this year for the Padres. He did also have injuries in his past.

Sure there certainly is risk for Boston in trading a highly ranked prospect for Pomeranz given he's yet to pitch this well over a full season, but i agree that people shouldn't act like the Padres aren't also taking a risk. It's very possible that Pomeranz is finally putting it all together in a way that shows why he was picked 5th overall and he comes with two more years of team control. For all of the upside of Espinoza, he is still only 18 years old pitching in A ball.

I've posted plenty of times in the Lucroy thread that with Dave running things in Boston there is no such thing as an untouchable prospect there.

Pomeranz had a career high of 86 innings prior to this season's 102 where he pitched in a pitchers park in SD.

This is great deal for SD.

We need to get in on some of this action if Dom is just giving away his farm for a WS this year.

This is one of those trades that makes perfect sense for both clubs.

Anderson Espinoza is only 18 and won't see the Majors for 3-5 years and likely won't make an impact for about 7.

He has a high ceiling but not all highly regarded prospects pan out, so the Padres are taking a big risk with him but can afford to take it.

Boston's prospects get over-hyped to some extent and they have spent a lot of money on international prospects, who typically have even lower floors than drafted prospects because many sign as 16 year old like Espinoza did.

I wouldn't doubt that the Red Sox had their signs on trading for someone like Sonny Gray, but given his struggles and Pomeranz sudden emergence as an all-star caliber pitcher, I think their value is closer to equal now.

Unlike someone like Junior Guerra, who's success is more likely to be questioned, Drew Pomeranz was a top 5 draft pick (5th overall-2010) who always had the arm and ceiling of a #2 starter. I think that his success will be sustainable. The Red Sox obviously must agree.

Having 2 1/2 years of control of a potential #2 starter is HUGE for a team like Boston, especially with the upcoming weak free agent market for Starting Pitchers.

The market for All-Star catchers like Lucroy might not be as fruitful this trading season.

I'm sure that this deal gives Brewer fans hope that the Red Sox could be willing to part with a prospect like 2B Yoan Moncada in a Lucroy deal, but I still think they is little to no chance of it happening.

The Red Sox have invested much more in Moncada, as they gave him a $31.5 signing bonus, but had to pay a 100% tax on it, so they actually spent $63 to land him.

Anderson Espinoza was given a $1.8 million signing bonus as a 16 year old.

Huge difference.

Pomeranz had a career high of 86 innings prior to this season's 102 where he pitched in a pitchers park in SD.

This is great deal for SD.

We need to get in on some of this action if Dom is just giving away his farm for a WS this year.

The innings number is a bit of a scare.

He's been just as good away from Petco this year as he has in it. I will be the first to point out that it is a small sample away from there and that Boston won't be so kind...but Boston won't be so kind to any pitcher.

2.5 years + the ability to keep/extend/get comp pick for Pomeranz with durability/Petco risks known

OR

6 years of a guy beginning at the earliest in 2019 that we have no idea will ever get to the majors.

The Padres could definitely run away with this trade if Espinoza is legit, but I think the value is pretty fair given all the risks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that he was the #5 pick with tons of talent. This has been noted by several on the thread.

He's not a consensus top 25 prospect (he's #39 by mlb.com and #73 by baseball prospectus) and he's in low A where he's not dominating by any means. How many guys who are ranked high as low level players flame out or see their stock drop? The answer is many. It's absolutely the right move by Dombrowski, who'll have plenty of opportunities to replace Espinoza before he makes an impact at the major leagues.

Archived