Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Jeffress trade talk

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am so jealous of the Braves FO. They are so much smarter than the rest of us at rebuilding.

Until they put a winning product on the MLB field they are no better than the rest of us. For all we know they are trading for a bunch of prospects other teams had a hunch would flame out, but they were to dumb to realize.

I remember they were geniuses for "buying" Touki who was a Top 75 prospect. Now? He isn't even a Top 10 organizational prospect.

Bottom line who cares how you rebuild your minor league team if they can't translate into good players at the MLB level.

Just a thought.

Didnt someone here or rumormill, say Jeffress with his prior issues and recoup/recovery, that his ties within the organization are very strong. For his own sake Stearns didnt want to trade unless blown away? (such as a teams #1 prospect +)

Im just cramping my brain here. But if that memory is mostly true, Stearns asking price is following that notion.

Now you see where the price for pitching is - it's off the charts right now.

Jeffress isn't Miller, but stop looking down at him - he's a big deal. Jeffress is really good, he's still young, and three years of team control, don't ever overlook that, it's become a very big deal in baseball.

The Brewers have said 1+2 to get Jeffress, and they just might get it.

A number of teams, most notably Boston, SF, and the Mets, are all looking for relievers even if Cleveland, Washington and the Cubs already made their moves.

Let's hope something pops in our favor.

Everybody is looking for bullpen help - Boston, Texas, Dodgers, Mets, Giants, Astros, - if you didn't get Chapman, Miller, or Melanin - you're still in the fight.

Watch the Dodgers - they have SP depth to deal from. Just for example, check the stats on players 18-22 - that's what I'm looking for, a team just like that.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=la

A number of teams, most notably Boston, SF, and the Mets, are all looking for relievers even if Cleveland, Washington and the Cubs already made their moves.

Everybody is looking for bullpen help - Boston, Texas, Dodgers, Mets, Giants, Astros, - if you didn't get Chapman, Miller, or Melanin - you're still in the fight.

Watch the Dodgers - they have SP depth to deal from. Just for example, check the stats on players 18-22 - that's what I'm looking for, a team just like that.

As a Virginia fan, Sborz is an interesting guy on that list. He was a dominant reliever for Virginia in their CWS run and now he's a good starter in the Dodgers system. Big guy, IIRC. Almost seems like (if we want to get into silly projections) a guy like Andrew Miller in the sense that if he doesn't pan out as a starter, he could turn into a really good closer.

Nice call on the Dodgers. It's easy to see the teams coming to a agreement on a package of those type of prospects.

@WiscoSportsNut

Now you see where the price for pitching is - it's off the charts right now.

Jeffress isn't Miller, but stop looking down at him - he's a big deal. Jeffress is really good, he's still young, and three years of team control, don't ever overlook that, it's become a very big deal in baseball.

The Brewers have said 1+2 to get Jeffress, and they just might get it.

We should get a tremendous deal for JJ. There is no reason why he can't go for a top 50 guy

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have heard from a baseball writer that the Brewer's price on JJ is very high. The Crew is happy to keep him, and will only give him up on for a big price.

So, nothing really new. Just that someone is going to have to give up a lot for Jeffress if they want him. We won't sell low. Otherwise, he's staying put.

A man can dream, can't he?

Jeffress to the Indians for Mejia and Cheng/McKenzie

The more I think about losing Mejia the more I want him somehow, someway in our system.

That would be fine with me. I think most of the reactions to the initial Cleveland thread (including mine) were because we wanted to compare Lucroy's market to the relief pitching market. With the blueprint laid out by the Royals the last two years, relievers are not a hot commodity and the demand for Lucroy just wasn't as strong.

Blows my mind that Andrew Miller could fetch Frazier & Sheffield, or a 39 year old Fernando Rodney could get Paddack. But both of those guys have long histories of being effective - much longer track records than our guys.

Gruber Lawffices

What about Smith and Boyer for Meija

I think they got their lefty with Miller, even if he slots in as the closer. They might do that for Jeffress or Thornburg as a 7th/8th inning guy.

I would be ok with that. I just thought another lefty might help.

I'm just going to go ahead and pretend I was aware the deadline had been moved to August 1 this year.

I'm curious to know how much value Jeffress has; obviously the price commanded by Chapman and Miller is really high, but I'm not sure how much that should be used to forecast valuations in the relief pitching market, as opposed to two instances of teams placing a huge value on a truly dominant reliever. Over the past two years, Jeffress has been really good, but realistically a tier below Miller and Chapman:

Miller: 107 IP, 1.77 ERA, 14.9 K/9, 2.3 BB/9

Chapman: 101 IP, 1.78 ERA, 14.7 K/9, 3.6 BB/9

Jeffress: 113 IP, 2.48 ERA, 8.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9

Still, I think Jeffress could be a good get for somebody. I'm not sure I'd expect a top 50 type of prospect in return, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

Edit: Are we certain on how much team control Jeffress has left? He's been up and down for so much of his career that he hasn't hit arbitration yet from reading Cots. I'd have to think he's eligible next season though.

Archived