Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Jeffress trade talk

If you take the Duquette tweet seriously and putting two and two together, it may be that it would be Jeffress for Rosario and one or both of Szapucki and Wotell. That would be the top prospect plus two mid-level guys.

That's very true, it could be Rosario, or maybe Dominic Smith, plus those two - that asking price would fit everything I've heard.

It would also fit David Stearns, in general - get pitching in any deal you can - young is fine, good is good.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had this argument elsewhere, but I don't see the value in comparison to Chapman.

Jeremy Jeffress probably has 3 years and maybe $12 million left assuming arbitration numbers. That's pretty nice. Someone of his ilk nowadays may cost $15-20 million over 3 years coming into next year's offseason.

The issue is that there are 20 teams that might be offering someone with the value of Jeffress (at varying contracts remaining).

There is 1 Aroldis Chapman. There might be 3 other guys in his class and 2 of them also play for the Yankees. Chapman is someone that provides a legitimate difference trying to win the World Series. The Cubs already have 2 pitchers of Jeffress' caliber. He doesn't move the needle.

Fully acknowledging an overpay for Chapman, you can't compare the two situations.

When the Nats throw Papelbon out there with a 90 mph fastball and crap slider, Jeffress or Thornburg seems like a huge upgrade. It just depends how much the Brewers want to get prospects back. Which shouldn't be much, considering control.

The Nats can go and call probably 10-20 teams about guys that are either on par with Jeffress or a slight downgrade. That's the issue.

If the Brewers say "give us 2 good prospects" I'll bet that they can go and find at least ONE team offering Jeanmar Gomez, Nate Jones, Zach Duke, Xavier Cedeno, Boone Logan, (the list goes on, I'm done) for less than "2 good prospects."

Some of those teams may not be offering a guy that has as nice of a team control situation as Jeffress, but I'd worry about that next year given that I can throw 10 fixer-upper relievers to throw against the wall and 1 of them will probably put up what Jeffress has done next year...or I can keep signing the Fernando Rodneys of the world to $3 million deals for one year.

I cannot fathom getting what some are asking for. Teams will just go for a slightly less optimal pitcher for much less inspiring prospects rather than pay big for Jeffress. The Cubs overpaid for Chapman but he is a difference-making elite pitcher for the playoffs. Ken Giles had similar team control but also Ks 12 batters per 9.

Teams would be happy to have Jeffress...but just for one modest prospect. Not 1-2 very good ones.

I don't care if Jeffress was a #1 pick. That doesn't make him be any more durable or last longer. I also don't care if he has electric stuff. John Axford had electric stuff one year and the next he was average at best. That is only one example I could fill an entire book of hard throwers who fell off a cliff faster than they climbed it.

If you get a good offer for Jeffress you take it. I'm not saying we HAVE to trade him, but there is no reason we have to be blown away with some ridiculous package. If we were really confident we could compete in 2018 I could see maybe being a little more reluctant to trade him, but I'm all honesty he isn't a part of the future. Don't hold onto him too long.

John Axford couldn't hold a candle to JJ. Ax was a classic flash in the pan. You knew it in real time. No one thought we had some answer there for the long haul. JJ is a real talent and we need to be compensated like it. Or keep him.

I cannot fathom getting what some are asking for. Teams will just go for a slightly less optimal pitcher for much less inspiring prospects rather than pay big for Jeffress. The Cubs overpaid for Chapman but he is a difference-making elite pitcher for the playoffs. Ken Giles had similar team control but also Ks 12 batters per 9.

Teams would be happy to have Jeffress...but just for one modest prospect. Not 1-2 very good ones.

If it's one modest prospect, you keep Jeffress. That's not value and Milwaukee is better off keeping him. I would play chicken on that game all day long. We aren't here to serve big market clubs. We have our own franchise with a terrific fan base. This isn't an Axford or Kolb or Turnbow.

The last thing Stearns needs to be doing is trading off young, controllable assets for less value.

If it's one modest prospect, you keep Jeffress. That's not value and Milwaukee is better off keeping him. I would play chicken on that game all day long. We aren't here to serve big market clubs. We have our own franchise with a terrific fan base. This isn't an Axford or Kolb or Turnbow.

The last thing Stearns needs to be doing is trading off young, controllable assets for less value.

I agree. I just don't see a match out there for his value. He isn't a "wow" type of guy for this season and most teams don't really care that they're going to get a solid reliever for 3 years at OK arbitration costs after this. They're not willing to overpay for that. Too many other options.

Stearns is right to ask for a lot. I hope it happens. Just doesn't seem to line up for me.

Well, I like your ask of Robles from the Nats. Man, do they need a young closer with upside like Jeffress.

You get some teams so scared of their own shadow (think Indians) and they will get bypassed by guys like Theo or Dombrowski who are decisive and know how to make a deal work both ways. Whether the Nats pull the trigger is a question. Jeffress would really help the Nats. Is the cost of Robles worth it lest they get left behind? Their window isn't going to be open forever.

I don't want to get my expectations out of whack but I'm starting to get the feeling that this deadline could be windfall for the minor league system after the weekend. Relievers are netting some pretty outlandish returns. Couple that with the fact that it is one of the strengths of this team, and Lucroy? Getting excited...

Dont know if there is a more Stearns player alive than Victor Robles. Would love to sign him up.

We better start packaging players and I don't even know Lucroy plus one of our big three relievers could do it.

The 19th best prospect in the Ranger's organization?

This is a perfect example of why you cant really trust rankings. He's a much better prospect than that ranking..

Also they just updated the prospects ranking on MLB, he's sitting at 9 for the Braves

Archived