Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Jeffress trade talk

I hope they hang onto Jeffress. I think if he establishes himself as an elite closer next year his value can skyrocket. Even if he is "only" dependable he'd at least have a longer track record to go off of.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rangers have a major need for pitching, both starting and relieving.. Wonder what they would give up for a Guerra / Jeffress package

I'd guess something like RHP-Ariel Jurado and 1B-Ronald Guzman. I just don't think Jeffress value is all that great. I'd love to be wrong about that.

I think the Rangers would be very happy to do that deal. Jeffress and Guerra would be a huge boost to that team.

I hope they hang onto Jeffress. I think if he establishes himself as an elite closer next year his value can skyrocket. Even if he is "only" dependable he'd at least have a longer track record to go off of.

It's easily a sellers market for Relievers here, always that risk of implosion. I'd trade Jeffress..

I think Thornburg could be even better anyways, want to give him a test as the closer

The Rangers have a major need for pitching, both starting and relieving.. Wonder what they would give up for a Guerra / Jeffress package

I'd guess something like RHP-Ariel Jurado and 1B-Ronald Guzman. I just don't think Jeffress value is all that great. I'd love to be wrong about that.

The Brewers have been asking for three players for Jeffress, "the reason they did it", and two more.

I can understand people being jittery about relievers having been through Turnbow, Henderson, Ax, and Danny Kolb.

But like a mutual fund disclaimer, past results do not guarantee future results. Jeffress is a former number one pick who had personal problems but ultimately put it together. He's not a flash in the pan IMO. He's still relatively young and has an electric arm.

I think he's got considerable value as does Will Smith. We've had some solid Brewer teams who would have loved those two in the late innings.

The Brewers have been asking for three players for Jeffress, "the reason they did it", and two more.

I wonder if the price tag was 3 for Jeffress and possibly Smith were just in the early stages, but the real reason was to try and package with Braun or a Lucroy to get a greater return. When SF checked in on us a few days ago they said Stearns was trying to package relievers with them. With Stearns saying today that there should be alot of action this week, I'm hoping that's GM speak for some loads of talent coming our way in a few days.

Crew should look to get Drew Storen (recent DFA) as a replacement for the bullpen guy/guys they deal off now.

Drew might be able to then rebuild his value and become a trade chip for next season..

EDIT: so much for that idea. Storen dealt to the Mariners for Joaquin Benoit....

But if your not getting basically 2 first round type guys plus some lotto guys back from Lucroy your selling yourself short. Don't deal just to make a deal

I mean, offers for 1.5 seasons of Lucroy > offers for 1 season of Lucroy > compensation pick for Lucroy. You can play hard ball all you want but eventually you're going to run out of time and back yourself up against a wall and end up taking less than what was offered. He needs to be gone on July 31st.

Unless the plan is to issue Lucroy an extension, something that is a real possibility. Not saying I want it or that it's a good idea, but it's an option for Stearns.

.@Jim_Duquette: David Stearns is asking for teams their "number 1 prospect and 1 or 2 mid-level guys" for Jeremy Jeffress

#Brewers

If true that means Stearns does not want to trade Jeffress at all because that's a ridiculous asking price. I have no problem with that, Jeffress may be better as a hold rather than a sell.

I also question the report. If Stearns asked for RHP-Chris Paddack and two more players from the Marlins, who were those other two players? 1B-Josh Naylor and RHP-Tyler Kolek? More likely Paddack was the centerpiece of that deal and while his stock has risen dramatically since the beginning of the year he's not a top 100 guy and would probably be considered borderline as a top 10 organizational guy for teams that have an above average minor league system.

Also as a side note, it looks like Paddack has come down with some type of arm problem and is out pending an evaluation by the team doctor. Could be a non-serious forearm strain type injury, could be a more serious elbow problem.

It depends on the teams whether it is a ridiculous asking price or not. If a teams #1 prospect is an overall top 10-15 prospect, yeah that probably is too much. Jeffress is not bringing back a Moncada, Giolito, Bregman or Gallo. A top 15-30 prospect is a thinker. A 30-60 is the sweet spot and a lead prospect below 60 is likely selling low in Stearns eyes.

I think this comment refers to the Mets. Stearns probably has asked for Rosario which would be quite a return and the Mets are barking to Duquette about it.

I think this comment refers to the Mets. Stearns probably has asked for Rosario which would be quite a return and the Mets are barking to Duquette about it.

Very possible. Melvin and now especially Stearns are typically tight lipped before a deal goes down. We've already seen Alderson make a thinly-veiled reference to the D'Arnaud for Lucroy straight up offer as being "dead on arrival." These comments obviously aren't coming from Milwaukee because they all paint the picture of the Brewers asking for the moon in almost every instance.

Gruber Lawffices

.@Jim_Duquette: David Stearns is asking for teams their "number 1 prospect and 1 or 2 mid-level guys" for Jeremy Jeffress

#Brewers

If true that means Stearns does not want to trade Jeffress at all because that's a ridiculous asking price. I have no problem with that, Jeffress may be better as a hold rather than a sell.

I also question the report. If Stearns asked for RHP-Chris Paddack and two more players from the Marlins, who were those other two players? 1B-Josh Naylor and RHP-Tyler Kolek? More likely Paddack was the centerpiece of that deal and while his stock has risen dramatically since the beginning of the year he's not a top 100 guy and would probably be considered borderline as a top 10 organizational guy for teams that have an above average minor league system.

Also as a side note, it looks like Paddack has come down with some type of arm problem and is out pending an evaluation by the team doctor. Could be a non-serious forearm strain type injury, could be a more serious elbow problem.

Not ridiculous at all when you consider what Chapman got and couple that with 3 years of control. RP is at a premium right now and DS knows that.

While I'm not sure it's a valid rumor I was flipping through Twitter, and saw someone "connected" say the Brewers asked the Mets for Thomas Szapucki and Max Wotell in exchange for Jeffress. I'll link the tweet when I get chance to.

We are soooo lucky to have DS...

#Brewers

I can tell you, with certainty, this is an overstatement.

The Brewers are asking for, "a" number one prospect, and two additional players for Jeffress, as I've stated several times.

I suppose if a team's farm system is down right now, that could equate to their best prospect overall, but the idea is, Stearns wants, "a guy", "plus two."

Which, by the way, he should - there is absolutely no, "have to" when it comes to trading Jeffress right now. He's good, he wants to be here, and he has three years of team control left. The only way Jeffress is traded - and I've said this quite a few times now - is if the Brewers get a strong enough offer for Stearns to do the deal.

If the market for pitching wasn't as hot as it is, I would simply state Jeffress will not be moved, but as it is, someone might meet the asking price.

I don't care if Jeffress was a #1 pick. That doesn't make him be any more durable or last longer. I also don't care if he has electric stuff. John Axford had electric stuff one year and the next he was average at best. That is only one example I could fill an entire book of hard throwers who fell off a cliff faster than they climbed it.

If you get a good offer for Jeffress you take it. I'm not saying we HAVE to trade him, but there is no reason we have to be blown away with some ridiculous package. If we were really confident we could compete in 2018 I could see maybe being a little more reluctant to trade him, but I'm all honesty he isn't a part of the future. Don't hold onto him too long.

If you take the Duquette tweet seriously and putting two and two together, it may be that it would be Jeffress for Rosario and one or both of Szapucki and Wotell. That would be the top prospect plus two mid-level guys.

Just the two young guys for Jeffress would be a steal for the Mets.

Sandy is coming across poorly, not just as a "get off my lawn" curmudgeon, but as a whiny little witch. It's his miserly way to talk to Stearns through the media. It isn't going to work.

Archived