Brewer Fanatic

Shifting with Runner on First

rickh150

I watch Brewers games regularly and have been keeping careful watch on Defensive positioning of infielders, especially this year because of drastic shifts. Although difficult to keep track of on Tv (much easier at the ballpark), it seems to me the Brewers have not been giving enough credence to the DP this season. Meaning, when a runner is on first, the shift and over shift has kept us from turning two (or even getting one) on several occasions.

While I can see the need for shifts without men on first, I don't like the shift, as much, with a guy on first.

Reasons.... Two come to mind.

1. Inability for two players to cover 2B-----Short stop (for righty hitters) is often way in the hole not being able to cover second base if ball is hit to the Second baseman (vice versa for lefty batters). The double play is not being valued enough when only one guy is near second base.

2. DP's limit big innings----- The pitcher can get out of a lot of big innings (which has hurt the Crew a bunch this year) with the DP. The shift, although it can get us some DP's too, has hurt more than helped when a runner has been on first, in my mind. I have no numbers to back this. The Brewers are 16th in baseball defensively in turning two, very much middle of the pack. Just from watching regularly and taking mind notes, I think it has cost us runs (and perhaps a game or two) over the long haul.

This isn't a specific topic talked about much, although the shift, in general, has been discussed nightly by BA and Schroeder/written about by bloggers. I'm interested in what others see and if someone has any info/site with more info on the topic.

Archived