Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Hill traded to Boston Red Sox for RHP Aaron Wilkerson & INF Wendell Rijo (Latest: Rivera recalled to take Hill's spot, post 70)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything?? they don't...unless they plan on the rebuild lasting 5-6 years or more and if they think fans are going to wait that long...they are sadly mistaken. 3 years tops, that better be it. I have no patience for losing...at anything. Never have, never will. You should always be trying to win. It's like Bucks fans, that want them to get lottery picks for the next couple of years still...because unproven talent will help you win faster?? The brewers think they are acquiring all these assets..for what?? As trade chips for other "possible" talent?? AAA and the major league level is what gets you better, and gets you the ammo to acquire better talent. They should be solely focused on those two levels right now. Who cares about A and AA ballers??

Actually, Wilkerson is ready now. He's at AAA and doing well. And a team like Milwaukee is perfect for him.

The Red Sox considered bringing Wilkerson up recently for a spot start (they chose Sean O'Sullivan instead). If you look at the Boston area writers, they basically expected Wilkerson to be in the big leagues some time later this year. But Boston is in a playoff race and isn't going to risk throwing a fringy rookie into the fray. Here's a quote from Dombrowski:

“Even though we like some of his abilities, I don’t think we can count on him to step forward, being in a situation to have never pitched in the big leagues, and be a real strong consideration for us to be a key factor in the pennant race.”

Wilkerson isn't anything great - most scouts qualify him as a back-of-the-rotation starter at best. But that's what was said about Davies a year ago. And there's nothing wrong with that. A guy who comes in and pitches 180 innings with a 4.00 ERA is a really valuable asset. You need a bucket of guys like this for depth. So many flame out, get hurt, etc. So stocking up on interesting arms - even an older guy like Wilkerson - isn't a bad thing.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilkerson isn't anything great - most scouts qualify him as a back-of-the-rotation starter at best. But that's what was said about Davies a year ago. And there's nothing wrong with that. A guy who comes in and pitches 180 innings with a 4.00 ERA is a really valuable asset. You need a bucket of guys like this for depth. So many flame out, get hurt, etc. So stocking up on interesting arms - even an older guy like Wilkerson - isn't a bad thing.

And if Wilkerson pitches well, he's going to be worth a whole lot more than 1/2 of Aaron Hill. If he does well in a handful of starts, I wouldn't even be surprised to see him flipped at this year's deadline. Playoff contending teams almost always want more rotation depth.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything?? they don't...unless they plan on the rebuild lasting 5-6 years or more and if they think fans are going to wait that long...they are sadly mistaken. 3 years tops, that better be it. I have no patience for losing...at anything. Never have, never will. You should always be trying to win. It's like Bucks fans, that want them to get lottery picks for the next couple of years still...because unproven talent will help you win faster?? The brewers think they are acquiring all these assets..for what?? As trade chips for other "possible" talent?? AAA and the major league level is what gets you better, and gets you the ammo to acquire better talent. They should be solely focused on those two levels right now. Who cares about A and AA ballers??

Actually AA players are usually better than their AAA counterparts. The majority of baseballs young talent lies in the AA level. If you are just trading for players in AAA you are more than likely going to be getting players who are fringe MLB players at best. Players in AAA are normally either there for a very short period of time, are blocked, or are just roster filler players.

So yes the Brewers need to be focusing on A and AA players. Plus we are talking about Aaron Hill here he is not part of the Brewers future. The Brewers did pretty well for an aging infielder who is having a nice year. I thought they were only going to get a AAAA player and that was it. Basically a player you would be advocating for that is in AAA.

The Brewers right now need to focus on A and AA players. If a player is in AA that normally means depending on how good the player is that they are only about 1.5 years away from being in the majors. Depending on the player it could be longer or shorter.

the red sox's mlb.com top 30 prospects page was updated to remove rijo and he is not on the brewers list. i wonder if this means he isn't even a top 30 prospect in our system or the brewers site just wasn't updated yet

How could anyone possibly be underwhelmed by the return for Aaron Hill?

Maybe "underwhelming" was not the right word for my reaction. It seemed like Hill could have been a piece in a package that would have netted more in totality. Something like Hill + a reliever = more or something like that?

How many teams looking to fill a reliever also just happen to want Hill bad enough to give up better prospects than we just got? Maybe more but not better. He's an very average 34 year old rental. There is nothing wrong with average, being 34 years old, or a rental. It's just, in baseball terms, that does not net a huge return.

Like some others I am kind of intrigued by Wilkerson. If he can fill a rotation spot a for a year or two (or three or four) until the team is more competitive he would be well worth Hill on his own. Until the team's talent level at the majors is raised we are going to need some journeymen type to fill the roster. Why not do so with prearby non prospect types? As long as they can eat enough innings keep the team functioning we don't have to rush real prospects or start their arby clock it's a huge win.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It looks like they got Tyler Wagner back in Aaron Wilkerson and got a lottery ticket in Rijo. It's interesting that Soxprospects.com says he has plus speed. He hasn't stolen more than 16 bases in any season.

It looks like they got Tyler Wagner back in Aaron Wilkerson and got a lottery ticket in Rijo. It's interesting that Soxprospects.com says he has plus speed. He hasn't stolen more than 16 bases in any season.

Wagner is 2 years younger, which is significant. He has been pretty decent this year for AAA

He HAD plus speed, but lost some to an ACL injury.

Taken from 2015 MLB writeup on Rijo:

Rijo tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in March 2012, yet the Red Sox still signed him for $575,000 out of the Dominican Republic when he became eligible four months later. He's very advanced for his age, no surprise considering he grew up around the game as the son of Dodgers scout Rafael Rijo, and posted a .764 OPS last year as the second-youngest regular in the low Class A South Atlantic League.

One of several offensive-minded second-base prospects in Boston's system, Rijo has a quick bat and a knack for barreling balls. He has the potential to become a solid hitter with double-digit home run power once he gets stronger. He shows the ability to work counts, though he also gets overly aggressive at times.

Rijo isn't as quick as he was before his knee surgery, yet his fringy speed plays up on the bases and in the field because of his instincts. He's an average defender with sure hands at second base, though he lacks the arm to play on the other side of the bag.

He was ranked #11 on the Red Sox team rankings at the last 2015 rankings. Maybe there's upside. Maybe this reads as a RH Gennett. It's fine for me.

As to Wilkerson, I read that Sox fans are a slight bit annoyed the team acquired Hill, and passed on a AAA SP who could have tried to fill a desperate need of #4/#5 on the team.

Would not be surprised if Wilkerson gets a nod and Anderson gets sent down, especially if a couple/few starts by him look solid in Col.

1 Trade down. About 5 or 6 to go ;)

I'm actually going to miss Hill. After his disastrous start he was doing pretty well with a .890 OPS since the start of May.

Me too. He was a steady player this year minus the slow start. He would be a very nice player to have on a team that was competing for a division/playoff run.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd guess that's why the Brewers had to throw in cash. Wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers were paying all of hills 2016 salary

They would have to at least throw in what in Arizona was sending to the Brewers.

This was brought up in a thread weeks ago. And it seemed the thought at that time was the team could do whatever they want with that money. Do you know otherwise for sure? In other words the Brewers could keep the Arizona money AND the Red Sox could pay his full (prorated) contract. Not that that was the case here, but just wondering for general reference.

The Brewers were paying Hill's full contract. Arizona sent the Brewers money to defray that cost, but the Brewers could do with the cash what they wanted to. There was no obligation for the Brewers to put the money Arizona sent them into the "Pay Aaron Hill Fund" and earmark it for Hill's paycheck.

Likewise, Boston is now paying Hill's full contract. The Brewers sent some money with Hill, but it could be any amount, irrespective of what Arizona gave Milwaukee. Guessing Boston asked for at least that much cash, but a deal could have been done with no cash changing hands at all.

I liked the Hill acquisition when it was made. Heck, there's nothing stopping the Brewers from making Hill a low end FA acquisition in the winter and doing this again next year. Hill appreciated the opportunity to play regularly.

As for the return. Wilkerson just turned 27 last month. Like Guerra, he doesn't have a ton of mileage on his arm. Hard to argue with his minor league numbers. Only wish they'd just dump Garza now rather than later and give this guy an opportunity in 2016.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Brewers claim Ryan LaMarre who the Sox designated. LaMarr's a CF with some pop from the right side who's stolen as many as 55 bases in his career. In short, a better version of Broxton who's a year older.

Actually, Wilkerson is ready now. He's at AAA and doing well. And a team like Milwaukee is perfect for him.

The Red Sox considered bringing Wilkerson up recently for a spot start (they chose Sean O'Sullivan instead). If you look at the Boston area writers, they basically expected Wilkerson to be in the big leagues some time later this year. But Boston is in a playoff race and isn't going to risk throwing a fringy rookie into the fray. Here's a quote from Dombrowski:

“Even though we like some of his abilities, I don’t think we can count on him to step forward, being in a situation to have never pitched in the big leagues, and be a real strong consideration for us to be a key factor in the pennant race.”

Right now he has to better than Garza... ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So the tally goes:

Segura plus Wagner

- Segura was hot early, cooled off in May, but bounced back in June (777 OPS) with an overall 802 OPS. Change of scenery still helps, but I understand how people are still going to wait a bit more time to judge it. We have seen this before.

- Wagner pitched well, but has been on the DL since May 14th.

for

Diaz, Anderson, Wilkerson and Rijo (and 1/2 season of Hill at 780 OPS)

- Doubled up on #4/5 SPs and SS/2Bs

Rijo makes me think of Javier Betancourt. I'll wait and see if there is anything real there. Stats are very unimpressive so potential must be completely in his profile.

Wilkerson (as others have said) is interesting. 4 pitches with nothing "special", but seems to put up good numbers at every level.

Diaz - if you haven't seen his numbers recently after a horrendous start, he is over 1.000 OPS in June+July.

Anderson - Wow, he really fell off the cliff lately. I only expected him to be a end of rotation MLB starter anyway (4.00-4.50 ERA), but he hasn't looked like it lately. His HRs are way UP and his Ks are way down.

yadiel rivera recalled to take aaron hill's roster spot. the club has thirteen position players for the time being.

looks like garin cecchini may have to wait a bit longer for a potential recall.

i was hoping to get to see garin up here, but this makes sense. Perez and Middlebrooks will get the lions share at 3rd now and Rivera can fill in at 2nd and Short when needed. They may get down to 12 position players after the all star break once Davies is back up.

I think Isan Diaz is a better prospect at this point, but there seems to be a bit of a double standard.

Isan has been absolutely scorching the past month+ in Single A. This is good. He's still only 20 and has seemed to have figured out that level. He was terrible for the first month.

Rijo doesn't have the slugging ability that Diaz does. I agree probably just a depth guy down the road, but he's only 20 and he's in AA ball. Not eye-popping stats at Rk/A/A+, but he was good enough as a very young player. It's possible that he packs on a bit of power as he hits his mid-20s and is a valuable player. Give Diaz some time to see if he can figure out AA at a very young age.

Archived