Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Hill traded to Boston Red Sox for RHP Aaron Wilkerson & INF Wendell Rijo (Latest: Rivera recalled to take Hill's spot, post 70)

How could anyone possibly be underwhelmed by the return for Aaron Hill?

Maybe "underwhelming" was not the right word for my reaction. It seemed like Hill could have been a piece in a package that would have netted more in totality. Something like Hill + a reliever = more or something like that?

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that they got players in return for Hill is amazing. I figured he'd be in one of those "cash consideration" type of trades.

I'd guess that's why the Brewers had to throw in cash. Wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers were paying all of hills 2016 salary

The fact that they got players in return for Hill is amazing. I figured he'd be in one of those "cash consideration" type of trades.

I'd guess that's why the Brewers had to throw in cash. Wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers were paying all of hills 2016 salary

They would have to at least throw in what in Arizona was sending to the Brewers.

Mr Rijo, if you can't hit .200 in AA, I do not consider you an actual MLB prospect, regardless of any "ranking."

He's 20 years old. That's such an asinine statement.

You must have missed the post where he recognized that his youth should be taken into consideration.

Also, posters who condescend the opinions of others tend to not last long here. You can disagree in a civil manner all you want.

Gruber Lawffices

Wilkerson sounds intriguing. If he indeed ends up being a late bloomer in the mold of Mike Fiers, you've got a useful rotation piece who is cost-controlled through his prime years.

It's about what you would expect for Aaron Hill. A couple of "could be something, could be nothing" prospects.

Gruber Lawffices

With what Junior Guerra has done I am more intrigued with the pitching prospect than I normally would be.

Couldn't agree more - they just got a starting pitcher that has succeeded at every level of the minors with career numbers of: ERA 2.52, WHIP 1.01, K/9 9.5, and K/BB ratio 3.9/1. If I told you this guy was 22 instead of 27 everyone would be drooling over him. I'm no scout, but to me it looks to me like they got a controllable legit starting pitcher. Oh and a 20 year old AA IF to boot that many are considering the better prospect in the deal. To me this seems like one hell of a haul for freaking Aaron Hill.

I am not Shea Vucinich

With what Junior Guerra has done I am more intrigued with the pitching prospect than I normally would be.

Couldn't agree more - they just got a starting pitcher that has succeeded at every level of the minors with career numbers of: ERA 2.52, WHIP 1.01, K/9 9.5, and K/BB ratio 3.9/1. If I told you this guy was 22 instead of 27 everyone would be drooling over him. I'm no scout, but to me it looks to me like they got a controllable legit starting pitcher. Oh and a 20 year old AA IF to boot that many are considering the better prospect in the deal. To me this seems like one hell of a haul for freaking Aaron Hill.

I third that original statement, and I gotta say I love that avi.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mr Rijo, if you can't hit .200 in AA, I do not consider you an actual MLB prospect, regardless of any "ranking."

I'm just going to ask that we maintain some civility here. This is not necessary.

Thank you.

Hill did his part, and we got an interesting return. Hopefully Wilkerson isn't David Manning, and I can't complain about another middle IF prospect. Enjoyed Hill, hope he does well for Boston!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

First, that we got anything for Hill is nice. At the beginning of the season, just unloading him and some of his salary would have been great. We've done that (Boston is picking up the remaining $2.75M of his salary), and got two guys out of Hill.

Wilkerson is definitely old for a prospect at 27, but he's a late starter after TJ surgery in his final year of college. He's pitching well since coming to affiliated ball - good K rates, solid walk rates, good ERA - so there's something interesting there. If he ends up anything great, if not, life goes on.

Same goes for Rijo. You just never know how a guy like him turns out.

There's nothing great here, but it's something.

Now we can put some other guys on the field that might be part of our future (or not - we'll find out).

Hill did a nice job in Milwaukee - he's perfect for Boston - veteran guy, versatile, performing well. I wish him well.

Defending Rijo's production, based on his current age is reasonable, prudent, and previously acknowledged by myself in this thread.

Perhaps you would have phrased it differently, but I have no problem making the point that a player who is hitting the way Rijo was in AA has a major issue left to overcome. When I said I'm much more intrigued by the pitcher at this point, I meant that.

My hope, of course, is for Rijo to relax at Brevard, let his talent take over, and return to AA when he's better equipped for it. My question is - why would Boston leave him there for 51 games, when he was so clearly overmatched?

I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything?? they don't...unless they plan on the rebuild lasting 5-6 years or more and if they think fans are going to wait that long...they are sadly mistaken. 3 years tops, that better be it. I have no patience for losing...at anything. Never have, never will. You should always be trying to win. It's like Bucks fans, that want them to get lottery picks for the next couple of years still...because unproven talent will help you win faster?? The brewers think they are acquiring all these assets..for what?? As trade chips for other "possible" talent?? AAA and the major league level is what gets you better, and gets you the ammo to acquire better talent. They should be solely focused on those two levels right now. Who cares about A and AA ballers??

The money is kind of secondary at this point with the payroll already so low, but struggling or not I'll take a 20 year in AA as a pretty solid return for Hill and Wilkins is exactly the kind of player we can afford to give some time to (especially after Jungman's implosion) see if he can be something.

I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything?? they don't...unless they plan on the rebuild lasting 5-6 years or more and if they think fans are going to wait that long...they are sadly mistaken. 3 years tops, that better be it. I have no patience for losing...at anything. Never have, never will. You should always be trying to win. It's like Bucks fans, that want them to get lottery picks for the next couple of years still...because unproven talent will help you win faster?? The brewers think they are acquiring all these assets..for what?? As trade chips for other "possible" talent?? AAA and the major league level is what gets you better, and gets you the ammo to acquire better talent. They should be solely focused on those two levels right now. Who cares about A and AA ballers??

its ok to have a second wave of prospects. Id rather get a younger player with potential then a fringe major leaguer. Yes if Lucroy gets traded i want atleast a young prospect or 2 that can help right away like Santana was, but for Hill you cannot expect much.

I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything??

If you want to sustain a run, you need good players from the top of the system to the bottom. Guys in Class A aren't part of the first wave of prospects, but they're part of the next one. You need to plan for that too.

Also, in the early stages of a rebuild, the idea is to increase the overall talent in the organization. You can be flexible about where it goes.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I just don't get why the Brewers think A and AA guys mean anything?? they don't...

It's short-sightedness and competing for "now" without any regard for the future that got the Brewers in this situation in the first place. The organization as a whole was a mess, all for the sake of assembling mediocre MLB teams without realistic championship or even playoff aspirations.

The organization is in need of a rebuild from the lower levels through the big leagues. If they are going to have any kind of sustained success, they need to acquire MLB-ready and long-term prospects alike. I am as sick of watching bad Brewers baseball as anyone, but am certainly glad the short-sighted approach appears to be behind us.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived