Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Hill traded to Boston Red Sox for RHP Aaron Wilkerson & INF Wendell Rijo (Latest: Rivera recalled to take Hill's spot, post 70)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This return looks like a whole lot of nothing to me. Rijo is sort of interesting I guess. Wilkerson is a 27 year old career minor leaguer who has almost as many innings in independent ball than in the minor leagues.

This return looks like a whole lot of nothing to me. Rijo is sort of interesting I guess. Wilkerson is a 27 year old career minor leaguer who has almost as many innings in independent ball than in the minor leagues.

It's about what you would expect for him

Rijo isn't lighting the world on fire in AA (hitting .185, I read), but adds some infield depth. Obviously, he's young, so he could still turn into something. Wilkerson seems OK. 2.14 ERA in the minors this season over 16 starts, so there's some upside. (That info is via Greg Matzek).

Not a hugely exciting return, but this was Aaron Hill, a guy who was a sort of throw in via trade for the Brewers to begin with.

Edit: Being reported the Brewers are sending some cash along with Hill. Not sure of how much.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Opens the door for villar at 3b and arcia call up in the near futureeee

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wendell Rijo is rated as a 50 prospect with high risk according to BA. He was the Red Sox 15th rated prospect coming into the year.

I don't know anything about Wilkerson but his numbers and how he has come out of no where reminds me of Brandon Beachy.

@WiscoSportsNut

Honestly, Wilkerson interests me more than Rijo.

Wilkerson hurt his arm in college, so he had to go the indy route to get a shot, which he did - he's done well.

Wilkerson, as a minor leaguer, not counting the indy stuff, has a career ERA of 2.52, a WHIP of 1.01, he strikes out nearly four times as many has he walks, and he has allowed 0.4 HR per nine innings pitched.

Wilkerson has earned each promotion, with results, and is knocking on the door of the major leagues.

Mr Rijo, if you can't hit .200 in AA, I do not consider you an actual MLB prospect, regardless of any "ranking."

I dont understand the angst either, anything they got for hill is a bonus and opens up playing time for someone younger like Perez. Plus Hill was a player that they had to take to get Anderson and Diaz in the Segura trade, to turn that into a young prospect and a 27 year old who could be a 5th starter in September and next year is all positive.

Thanks Hill for a nice couple months. I enjoyed you making all the people calling for you to be released immediately look silly. Got a pair of interesting players in return. Nothing great, but way better than releasing him in ST! :laughing

Honestly, Wilkerson interests me more than Rijo.

Wilkerson hurt his arm in college, so he had to go the indy route to get a shot, which he did - he's done well.

Wilkerson, as a minor leaguer, not counting the indy stuff, has a career ERA of 2.52, a WHIP of 1.01, he strikes out nearly four times as many has he walks, and he has allowed 0.4 HR per nine innings pitched.

Wilkerson has earned each promotion, with results, and is knocking on the door of the major leagues.

Mr Rijo, if you can't hit .200 in AA, I do not consider you an actual MLB prospect, regardless of any "ranking."

I don't wanna turn this into another age debate but playing in AA as a 20 year old is a tough task for any prospect.

@WiscoSportsNut

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The fact that they got players in return for Hill is amazing. I figured he'd be in one of those "cash consideration" type of trades.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I dont understand the angst either, anything they got for hill is a bonus and opens up playing time for someone younger like Perez.

That's big for me. I really hope that Counsell gives Perez everyday at bats at 3rd to see how he does with consistent playing time. This is the time to see what a guy like him can do when given more than random playing time.

Yeah this is exactly what this season is for. Give a scrap heap veteran a chance to build some value and then immediately flip him. Either that or play young guys and we're doing both! Keep it coming.

Edit: nice story on Wilkerson. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/06/30/the-long-and-winding-road-aaron-wilkerson/HTmyAqAeMpz9XW16bVZMgP/story.html

Archived